Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When sleeping away from home...

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 5:59 pm
My toddler sleeps in his own crib beautifully. In the past, when we've slept away from home, he began crying uncontrollably in the middle of the night until I ended up bringing him into my bed. The problem with that is that he wanted to nurse the entire night, so I got barely any sleep (I feel very claustrophobic when he nurses in bed with me when I'm trying to sleep). Also, I am trying to wean him and he is down to 1 feeding a day, which I don't want to ruin.
We are going away for an extended weekend. How can I help my toddler stay in his crib all night? I will of course give him his blankie and teddy bear(which I have done in the past but hasn't helped). Any other suggestions?
I really don't want to be up all night!

pesek zman

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 6:14 pm
At home is he in your room? Is he in your room while away? (Sounds like)

Could it be that having your close but not close enough for his liking is the issue? I don't think it's the crib.

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 6:17 pm
pesek zman wrote:
At home is he in your room? Is he in your room while away? (Sounds like)

Could it be that having your close but not close enough for his liking is the issue? I don't think it's the crib.

At home and when away, he does not sleep in our room. I think he might be scared of strange surroundings, which I understand, and if it can't be helped then obviously I'll sleep with him... But if there are any other suggestions, I'm
Listening!

pesek zman

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 6:20 pm
Hmmm it's a toughie. No other ideas. Sorry and best of luck

Optione

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 6:27 pm
1. Can you show him the room in daylight and talk to him about that's where he'll be sleeping?

2. Can you leave a sippy cup with water with him in his crib?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 6:50 pm
Optione wrote:
1. Can you show him the room in daylight and talk to him about that's where he'll be sleeping?

2. Can you leave a sippy cup with water with him in his crib?

I'll try suggestion 1. That's a good idea and I've never done that before when we are away. (When we are at home he plays in his room all the time and it is a familiar place.)
I do leave him with a sippy cup though, so that's nothing new.

Thanks!

pause

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 7:00 pm
That's why I hate and try to avoid going away overnight with kids in that in between stage. I find once they're completely weaned, they do much better, sleep more deeply, and if they do wake up, a bottle or sippy cup is enough.

I know that wasn't very helpful, but maybe just resign yourself to the fact that he will wake up and keep you up in the middle of the night. It'll be easier to deal with if you expect it.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 6:27 pm
Thanks for the suggestions! Optione, I let my toddler play in the room for a while when it was daylight and then I waited until he was really tired (past his usual bedtime) to put him to bed. He slept all night!!!!!! Thanks all, you saved the weekend!

Optione

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:12 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions! Optione, I let my toddler play in the room for a while when it was daylight and then I waited until he was really tired (past his usual bedtime) to put him to bed. He slept all night!!!!!! Thanks all, you saved the weekend!

I'm so glad to hear that it worked out! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics