Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Am I the only one who feels this way?
1  2  3  Next

N'sMom

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 4:30 pm
It's the same every Purim. I get tons of stuff that we don't eat. Right now in my kitchen I have something like 5 cakes, mountains of candy, hamentashen, cookies.... We are a small family and really only eat sweet things on Shabbos. The potential waste is horrifying. Even assuming that we eat some of this, a lot of it will end up thrown away. I can't give it to friends because they all have their own. The local schools won't accept shalach manos treats anymore because there is way too much of it. I really and truly understand that everyone means well but the waste really bothers me.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 4:32 pm
I know someone who collects MM after Purim and takes it to the nurses and other medical personnel in the local hospitals.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 4:37 pm
Don't you have any homeless people in your area?

Even if you don't, it's usually only a bus or subway ride away to find them.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 4:41 pm
I don't get that much baked goods and we do eat sweets all week long so not a waste issue for us ๐Ÿ˜Š

cm

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 4:50 pm
I bring the extra to work.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 5:05 pm
No you are not the only one. One good friend makes a couple of simple MM to fulfill the chiyyuv, then drops little cards by people's houses wishing a chag sameach and saying a donation had been made to the food bank. I think this is a nice idea.

Giving the food to homeless folks is a good idea but not so practical in the rush of Purim.

N'sMom

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 5:22 pm
CM, I work from home. Otherwise that would have been a great idea..

We do have homeless people in the neighborhood but many of them are not safe to approach. And many do not want food, just money. Just last week younger DD was walking home from school with some bagels and a man asked her for "money for food," so she gave him the bag of bagels and he threw it at her. I have had similar experiences quite a few times. This is not to say that all homeless people are like this, but at least in my neighborhood I prefer that my kids and I not give them food.

Actually I do the card thing myself -- I made two this year and donated the $ I would have spent on the other bazillion mm to a soup kitchen that serves purim seudos. Even assuming I want to approach homeless people, they benefit more from a nice dinner than from a bunch of laffy taffies and peanut chews, and it is more dignified for them.

I wish more people would do that. The mitzvah of matanos le'evyonim is more important than MM after all.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 5:45 pm
Call your local city hall and ask them if you can get the numbers for food pantries in your area. Many pantries are affiliated with networks that provide food to soup kitchens, back pack programs etc. This food is usable and needed, most of these organizations have volunteers who will pick it up at your home.

N'sMom

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 5:48 pm
I tried that other years but they didn't want candy. Neother did the local soup kitchen. The issue is that I get "junk food."

youngishbear

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 5:52 pm
Is there a local children's shabbos tehillim or mishnayos group that would accept the treats as incentives for the kids?

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 6:06 pm
For next year...we give most of our mm to non religious families. Ours is usually the only mm they receive. And they usually don't give back to us. So we don't get so much. Seems to work here.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 6:39 pm
I give it to a boys high school.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 7:07 pm
I gave out challah and chocolate (which happened to be KLP, so people can always keep it for then)

We also give mostly not frum people. I gave out about 60 adult ones and got back less then 20. Still we have a big bag of nosh. Between my kids and our shabbos guests and I am confidant it will all go.

N'sMom

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 7:41 pm
I LOVE idea of giving to nonfrum families. I may try to adopt that next year. But of course, that doesn't help with the laffy taffy glut. The schools here don't give candy as rewards etc and send home letters asking parents not to send it to school even for snack for your own kid.

This brings me to an existential question: if everyone hates the junk infusion and we all are left with tons of waste why don't we change things? Make a commitment to give fewer MM and cut out (or way down) on junk food.

Eemaof3

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 8:26 pm
Make a goody basket for the local emergency room workers. They can always have their day brightened.

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 8:28 pm
Another thing about giving to non-religious families is that after a few years of receiving from us they do tend to give back, which means that are doing a mitzvah, which is great. (doesn't help with an oversupply of junk food though, I guess). In general Purim is a terrific kiruv opportunity. Purim seuda is a great time to invite nonreligious families (although I confess this year we did not manage it),

anotherima

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 8:31 pm
I try to recycle the stuff I get and give it to other people I had not expected to come. The rest I send to my husband's office where it gets eaten up in two seconds. I don't like to toss food.

N'sMom

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 8:32 pm
I absolutely love that idea.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 8:35 pm
I'm thinking to bring the hamantashen to the police station - I like to bring things from time to time to show support anyway...

Simple1

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 8:35 pm
I guess I'm not so popular because I didn't get so much. But really the foods we got were not so junky - nuts, fruit, chocolates.

But would people in professional settings take random homemade foods without labels?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics