Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Am I the only one who feels this way?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 6:23 pm
I can see that soup kitchens/food pantries wouldn't take laffy taffy. But I'm sure a needy person would appreciate hamentashen or cake. My Bracha to you is that this should be your worst problem Smile

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 6:47 pm
no -- which is why we and friends and more and more don't give out 'junk" -- no one wants it and the kids can only have so much of it

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:16 am
Simple1 wrote:

But would people in professional settings take random homemade foods without labels?

Professionals still like food - just like a non professional! I work in a 'professional setting' with non jewish colleagues and they love when someone brings in homemade food. It's usually gone within a few mins! No one is worried about labelling and the ones with allergies just ask if it's got nuts/eggs etc in it.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:32 am
I live in Israel, we give our extra junk, unopened candy and snacks and stuff to soldiers. Especially the soldiers guarding our area. They get tons of stuff on Purim but standing hours on end guarding our roads must be tedious it's nice to have something to nosh on. Some organizations here collect stuff to give to children's hospitals and other children in need.

In chutz laaretz I guess there would be more places to donate to because there are less Jews trying to get rid of MM junk. Just google where to donate candy or something.

Baked goods I freeze for dessert for shabbat from now to Pesach. I love getting nicely packaged whole baked goods.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:44 am
The problem is that most mishloach manot consists of junk food. It wasn't always this way, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't supposed to be this way. It's supposed to consist of real, prepared food that you can serve at meals, preferably your Purim se'udah. So yes, it can include cake, to be served as dessert, but what is the point of the endless chips and candy and other junk food?

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:51 am
In the UK we have a tzedaka called GIFT and each year they organise a drive for people to drop off their unwanted mm.

http://www.jgift.org/

chanchy123

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:52 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
The problem is that most mishloach manot consists of junk food. It wasn't always this way, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't supposed to be this way. It's supposed to consist of real, prepared food that you can serve at meals, preferably your Purim se'udah. So yes, it can include cake, to be served as dessert, but what is the point of the endless chips and candy and other junk food?

In my community, and many DL communities in Israel most people do give "real food" or nice baked goods. Sometimes it will include some junk. But the kids give and get mostly junk (or I guess almost exclusively junk). I gave out pasta in a cream sauce with small containers of parmesan and toasted pine nuts with a bottle of wine and some choclate bark. I got things like sushi, rice noodle stir fry, fresh bread with dips, salad and scrambled eggs, a quiche and salad, etc. So we do get junk food but it is manageable.

etky

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:58 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I live in Israel, we give our extra junk, unopened candy and snacks and stuff to soldiers. Especially the soldiers guarding our area. They get tons of stuff on Purim but standing hours on end guarding our roads must be tedious it's nice to have something to nosh on. Some organizations here collect stuff to give to children's hospitals and other children in need.

In chutz laaretz I guess there would be more places to donate to because there are less Jews trying to get rid of MM junk. Just google where to donate candy or something.

Baked goods I freeze for dessert for shabbat from now to Pesach. I love getting nicely packaged whole baked goods.

We used to do that but the soldiers are also inundated now.
We drove through a checkpoint yesterday on the way to the seuda and saw the booths were filled to the brim with bags of nosh and MM that people had been handing the soldiers throughout the day.
Beyond that, the soldiers get packages of MM (and personal letters which is nice) from all kinds of organizations the entire week before Purim.
Yesterday the Netanyahus even helicoptered in to DD's base to distribute MM to the chayalim there.
They have so much nosh and junk food that DD is very reluctant to take any of what we received back to the base with her on Sunday.
Someone is our area is collecting MM leftovers for the children of Sderot but people on our chat list have pointed out that even that is problematic. The bottom line is that no one really needs the junk.
I also freeze the baked goods and use them for dessert until Pessach. Problem is that we got so much of the homemade stuff too this year and the "freezability " of some of the stuff is questionable.
Anyone know if you can freeze sfenj? How about homeade orange marmalade? Energy bars?

etky

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:03 am
chanchy123 wrote:
In my community, and many DL communities in Israel most people do give "real food" or nice baked goods. Sometimes it will include some junk. But the kids give and get mostly junk (or I guess almost exclusively junk). I gave out pasta in a cream sauce with small containers of parmesan and toasted pine nuts with a bottle of wine and some choclate bark. I got things like sushi, rice noodle stir fry, fresh bread with dips, salad and scrambled eggs, a quiche and salad, etc. So we do get junk food but it is manageable.

Exactly. I gave and got mostly real food from our friends. The kids are the major purveyors of the junk. I offered to include my homemade hamanteschen and muffins in their packages but they turned up their noses at it saying that it's not what their friends want to receive Sad

chanchy123

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:14 am
etky wrote:
We used to do that but the soldiers are also inundated now.
We drove through a checkpoint yesterday on the way to the seuda and saw the booths were filled to the brim with bags of nosh and MM that people had been handing the soldiers throughout the day.
Beyond that, the soldiers get packages of MM (and personal letters which is nice) from all kinds of organizations the entire week before Purim.
Yesterday the Netanyahus even helicoptered in to DD's base to distribute MM to the chayalim there.
They have so much nosh and junk food that DD is very reluctant to take any of what we received back to the base with her on Sunday.
Someone is our area is collecting MM leftovers for the children of Sderot but people on our chat list have pointed out that even that is problematic. The bottom line is that no one really needs the junk.
I also freeze the baked goods and use them for dessert until Pessach. Problem is that we got so much of the homemade stuff too this year and the "freezability " of some of the stuff is questionable.
Anyone know if you can freeze sfenj? How about homeade orange marmalade? Energy bars?

We actually saw the helicopter land right in front of our eyes. It was so cool. We were on our way out of the Gush and a policeman stopped us - we were the first car. I thought maybe something had happened but there were no sirens or anything. Then we see the helicopter touching ground and the motorcade meeting it.

Anyhow, I figure the soldiers get tons of stuff but they can finish it off during the next few weeks. I think it is a gesture of gratitude the soldiers we met on the way were very appreciative of the gesutre - even though they were overflowed.

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:27 am
& then you have those that don't get any ...

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....92470

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 6:47 am
personally I don't think throwing out laffy taffys is considered wasteful. those things are like poison. no one should eat them.

the cakes and cookies you can freeze and go through them slowly

kollel wife

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 7:08 am
Candy - can be saved for Shabbos party - chocolates and a lot of other things aren't chometzik, if you don't sell chometz - the best way to find out which candies have no wheat etc, is to talk to a gluten free friend. Put all the candy away for future Shabbosim - or to donate doesn't have to be right now.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 8:11 am
A local dentist advertised this year that for ever pound of candy (up to 5 per family) turned into his office he would donate a few dollars to tomchei shabbos. I think he switches organizations every year....
Maybe try to promote this in local companies in your area? It is great advertisement for their business and gets the junk out of your house!

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 9:23 am
causemommysaid wrote:
personally I don't think throwing out laffy taffys is considered wasteful. those things are like poison. no one should eat them.

oh dang ~ I ate a sour green apple one yesterday & even got someone to pay 35¢ for it ... I hope I wasn't corrupting anyone

miami85

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 10:12 am
Maybe it's just our collection of family and friends, but we got a nice assortment of foods yesterday--some baked goods, most things werent too big, some salads and kugels, some nosh, nothing too junky--or something that I would save for a special treat, but even then it was reasonable. We probably got around 50. It'll likely be all gone by next week.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 11:52 am
greenfire wrote:
oh dang ~ I ate a sour green apple one yesterday & even got someone to pay 35¢ for it ... I hope I wasn't corrupting anyone

call poison control LOL

Simple1

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
Professionals still like food - just like a non professional! I work in a 'professional setting' with non jewish colleagues and they love when someone brings in homemade food. It's usually gone within a few mins! No one is worried about labelling and the ones with allergies just ask if it's got nuts/eggs etc in it.

I wasn't sure. I've seen on this thread how so many people won't eat home made foods for hygiene reasons, So all the more so if it's from a total stranger, you don't know where it's been and how old it is.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 1:33 pm
I trade my kids their junk for chuck e cheese tokens then I use the junk as incentives for my students.

boysrus

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 7:58 pm
one of my kids has had major problems with his teeth recently, cavities etc, so he seemed quite happy when I offered to exchange his big bag o f candies for a pot noodle and $1! I was so happy with that success that I offered the same deal to his older siblings, they were not impressed with my offer unfortunately1
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics