Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Would you tell her that her dh skipped words in Megilla?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:15 pm
My friend invited me to hear Megilla laining by her house so that I wouldn't have to walk far to shul. Her dh did a great job, except for the fact that he missed a few words. A close friend of mine noticed this too. I did not say anything and just went to shul later to hear it a second time. Would you say anything now, the day after Purim?

Riki12345

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:22 pm
No it doesn't matter now, Purim is over. If it bothered you then next year go someplace else.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
My friend invited me to hear Megilla laining by her house so that I wouldn't have to walk far to shul. Her dh did a great job, except for the fact that he missed a few words. A close friend of mine noticed this too. I did not say anything and just went to shul later to hear it a second time. Would you say anything now, the day after Purim?

Lol! Really?

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:36 pm
I can't see how anything good would come out of saying something now.

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:42 pm
yeah DON'T ~ it's rude & won't help

do you also correct layning mistakes on shabbos ...

amother
Black

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:43 pm
First of all there's no point in saying anything the day after purim. Secondly, I know they make announcements about following each word but I can speak for myself and say I've never come close to actually listening to each and every word without ever spacing out for even a moment. I think that if missing a single word is really a problem then many (most?) Of us have never heard the megilla.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 2:43 pm
u could have just said them quietly to yourself and not bothered going again just for future reference.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 5:24 pm
Many years ago DH lained for me & some neighbors. When he was all done one lady evidently went home & asked her DH if she should tell us she thinks he missed a word.

He ended up laining all over but told the lady she should, in the future, please speak up if she thinks s/t was missed, he could have done the posuk over then & saved us all half an hour!

So one should always speak up right away, even if in a questioning tone - ?Sus asher rochav??? & the reader will go over it.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 5:37 pm
There was someone on my block when I was younger that used to lein for the women in his house. One of the women were responsible to correct him if he missed a word or mispronounced it. This year is too late, but you could try for next year.

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 5:46 pm
In the shuls we go to, people do correct laining mistakes on shabbos.

I heard a story once from a chabad rabbi that went something like this -- it was about 20 years ago, so I may have some details wrong. There was a king that told a rav in his kingdom to tell his community to stop keeping some halacha. The rav said that he would never be able to get away with that. The ruler was surprised, thinking that a rav would be like a priest, and be able to do whatever he wanted. The rav invited him to shul, and purposely made a mistake in the leining, and the king watched how his community corrected him, and realized that the rav was telling the truth.

OP, if you want to say something, wait until next year, around Tu B'shevat.

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 7:21 pm
imasinger wrote:
In the shuls we go to, people do correct laining mistakes on shabbos.

yes - but it is usually someone appointed the job - same for megillah reading

a safer bet rather than embarrass someone

Shuly

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 2:44 pm
I went to a later megillah reading for women and the man who leined specifically announced before the leining that if anyone misses a word, they should just read it to themselves and they are still yotzei.

I asked DH about it and he said you only have to hear megillah again if you miss a word AND you don't say it to yourself; it's perfectly fine to read it to yourself.

I think teachers like to scare little kids by telling them if they make noise and someone misses a word they will have to hear the whole megillah again, but this is not correct - they should just read the missed word to themselves.

Another mom

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 4:03 pm
Shuly wrote:
I went to a later megillah reading for women and the man who leined specifically announced before the leining that if anyone misses a word, they should just read it to themselves and they are still yotzei.

I asked DH about it and he said you only have to hear megillah again if you miss a word AND you don't say it to yourself; it's perfectly fine to read it to yourself.

I think teachers like to scare little kids by telling them if they make noise and someone misses a word they will have to hear the whole megillah again, but this is not correct - they should just read the missed word to themselves.

Yes you can say even a few psukim on your own -- up to half---and still be yozei. Shulcan Aruch... my husband told me this.

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 4:22 pm
amother wrote:

The right thing to do is call out the skipped word so that everyone doesn't lose out.
After the fact, it won't help to point it out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics