Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Did you hear EVERY word in the megillah?

How much of the megillah did you hear?
I meticulously follow and listen to every word.  
 68%  [ 22 ]
I start out listening but end up spacing out after 10 minutes.  
 31%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 32

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:01 pm
I don't think iv'e ever followed and heard the entire megillas Esther. Actually, I'm sure of it. Have you?

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:07 pm
I pay attention to the words but go in and out with following along in the megilla. I have a basic idea of where we are up and keep jumping back in to find the place again, especially if I realize I didn't hear a word clearly.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:09 pm
I don't see a reason to obsess about this. I read along in my text, but if I need to attend to a kid or let out a loud cough, I'm not going to sit through another reading.

What do people do if they skip a word by the second reading, go a third time? We try our best and need to be careful to avoid the ridiculousness that has become these practices.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:28 pm
As long as you hear it you don't have to follow along. You don't need to be able to make out each word. You just need to hear it. Even if you are spaced out you still hear.

And yes I am careful to hear every word. Even if I lose the place I am still listening. (And btw it's possible to space out and follow along at the same time)
If you have a loud chazzan you can hear regardless of small noises around you.

I choose megilla readings according to how loud and clear the chazzan is. A good chazzan can enable you to hear every word without trying very hard.
I hate the chazzans that are quiet and mumble and jumble the words together in an effort to go fast.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:31 pm
The reason I posted this question was because another poster was debating how to handle a a situation where she was at the megillah and noticed the bal koreh mssed a few words. I'm wondering why anyone would care since I'm pretty sure 90%+ don't hear every word anyway.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:42 pm
Meh, not sure, don't care

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 3:57 pm
there should be other options:

tried to but shul was too noisy

was stuck at work all day

no longer interested

other

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 5:51 pm
Yes, I believe I do hear every word and have done so for years. I don't always follow every word in the printed text, but I certainly hear it. Our baal koreh (who happens to be my DH who as been layning for almost 55 years) is very loud and clear. Banging is done by Haman, but limited and he always goes back to repeat anything that might have been blocked out.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 6:28 pm
Heard yes. Processed no. I spaced out a little at night and more during the day but basically kept up with the thread of the story most of the time (again more so during the night than the day.)

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 2:49 pm
I read along every word with great kavanah, but the screaming toddlers sitting behind me drowned out the majority of the megillah, and I lost my place a few times. It was very frustrating!

Ladies, if you can't control your little ones, please try to arrange a children's service for them. Adults have the mitzvah to hear the whole thing. Your adorable 3yo dressed as a puppy does not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics