Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Pesach, keep weight off
1  2  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 5:40 pm
I've been "dieting" since Dec., lost 30lbs.
Need another 15lbs to reach my goal.
I don't expect to get there by Pesach, but don't want to gain over YomTov either.

Please post healthy/low cal/low carb dishes for Yom Tov.

I'll start

Not sure if my quantities are correct, please adjust if necessary.

Salmon with red pepper slaw
Salmon 1 slice per person
Salt and pepper to taste

Multi color peppers 1-2 ea. Red, yellow, green, orange
Red onion 1
Faux Pesach vinegar 1/4 cup
Orange juice (all natural) 1/4 cup
Orange slices optional (usually I use a can of manderine oranges, but they are packed in syrup, need lower sugar alternative)
Sweetener of choice to taste (I use xylitol, add more juice if you don't use)

Season salmon with salt and pepper, bake till desired doneness.

Slice multi color peppers and red onion very thinly.
Add orange slices
Mix with dressing of vinegar, orange juice, sweetener
Let pepper slaw marinate for 8+ hours

Serve: Place pepper slaw around the edge of the plate, salmon slices in the middle, drizzle marinade on the fish. Serve hot fish, cold slaw, or all cold.

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 7:05 pm
Good for you! I try to stay away from matzah in all forms in order to stay healthy on pesach. I try to eat fish, poultry and meat, soups, salads, and roasted vegetables. I also love spiralized zuchinni ( Raw or roasted).

ra_mom

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 8:32 pm
Roast all sorts of vegetables. Asparagus, carrot fries, beets for gingered salad, small zucchini halves for bruschetta.
Oven steam broccoli and cauliflower or any other combination of frozen vegetables.
Julienne zucchini and serve as noodles for chicken soup or as a quick sautéed salad with mushroom and baby tomatoes.
Lots and lots of salads.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 9:28 pm
I always lose around 10 pounds over Pesach. I only eat matza when I absolutely have to. No fancy Pesach cakes or ice creams, just lean meats, fresh fruit, and veggies. I also try to stay away from potatoes. For some reason, quinoia does not make my body react the way other grains do, so I can have that, too.

I have very little dairy, just a bit in my coffee in the morning.

I drink tons of water, and get out and walk as much as I can. If only I would eat so well the rest of the year!

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Mar 26 2016, 10:39 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Roast all sorts of vegetables. Asparagus, carrot fries, beets for gingered salad, small zucchini halves for bruschetta.
Oven steam broccoli and cauliflower or any other combination of frozen vegetables.
Julienne zucchini and serve as noodles for chicken soup or as a quick sautéed salad with mushroom and baby tomatoes.
Lots and lots of salads.

Can I get some recipes please
Carrot fries
Gingered beet salad
Zucchini bruschetta
Sautéed zucchini noodle salad
They all sound yum
How do you prevent the zucchini noodle salad and zucchini bruschetta from getting all watery
TIA

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 6:49 am
I see no reason why I can't stick to my diet on pesach. (Except that its yom tov and I get into this overeating mode every shabbos and yom tov.)

But, I hope to make lots of vegetable soup, eat lots of meat or chicken, salads and vegetables. And limit my potato/matza consumption. We don't eat ready made food on pesach so most junk food is out unless I make cookies, which are not that tempting.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:19 am
I also get into overeating mode. Plus on Yom Tov I tend to make richer foods (higher calorie with no restrictions on fat, etc.)
I can't make it and not eat. If I see it I will eat it, that's the bottom line.
I do well on diets that are about 1000 calories and low carb. I could probably maintain on about 1500 calories. But counting calories on Yom Tov, and pre measuring all my meals before a 2 day Yom Tov, is just too hard,especially Pesach.
I want to plan a menu that I know I can indulge without sabotaging all the hard work I did the past 3 months.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:08 am
plan a lot of salads.

I'm doing ww so for shabbos I make lots of zero points veg dishes. Roast peppers, roast butternut squash, soups. Also mashed carrots/swedes/celeriac makes an ok mashed potato subsitute. For example this: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/rec.....-mash Use lots of sauteed onions/garlic instead of the butter and cream. (I don't know if that is low carb though)

If you serve soup as a starter, chicken or meat and vegetable side dishes, and a light dessert - meringues, sorbet, fruit salad you should be ok.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:30 am
zucchini spaghetti salad 
· 2 medium zucchini, peeled and julienned with julienne peeler 
· 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided  
· 2-3 mini onions, sliced into thin rings  
· 1 small garlic clove, very thinly sliced  
· 1 cup grape tomatoes (5 oz.), halved  
· 2 cups mushrooms (5 oz.), thinly sliced  
· kosher salt and coarse black pepper, to taste  

If you have time, lay out the zucchini strands and allow to dry out over 2 layers of paper towels. 
n a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the zucchini strands until just heated through and coated with oil, about 2 minutes, in batches as necessary. Set aside.  
In the same pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté another 3 minutes. Then add the grape tomatoes for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  
Season the zucchini with kosher salt, add the rest of the vegetables and toss lightly with tongs.  
Serve at room temperature.  

bruschetta zucchini 
• 2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise 
• 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided  
• 1 garlic clove, crushed  
• 2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered  
• 1/2 small red onion, finely diced  
• 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar  
• 1/2 tsp dried basil  
• kosher salt and coarse black pepper, to taste  

Use a spoon to scrape out the zucchini seeds of each zucchini half, making 4 long canoe-like boats.  
Brush the zucchini with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with crushed garlic.  
Arrange zucchini on a baking sheet, and bake uncovered in oven preheated to 400 for 20 minutes.  
In the meantime, toss together the quartered grape tomatoes, finely diced red onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.  
Remove zucchini boats from the oven, and arrange on 4 serving plates. Top with tomato mixture and serve.  

gingered beet salad
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....92933
I like red wine vinegar

carrot fries
jumbo carrots, peeled
olive oil
kosher salt

Cut carrots into thin French fry shapes, 3" long. Toss with a bit of oil. Season with kosher salt to taste. Arrange in one even layer on cookie sheet/s. Roast at 400 for 18-20 minutes.

About watery zucchini, keep the zucchini strands packed separately and the mushroom tomato mixture separate. Bring to room temperature by leaving on counter a few hours before meal and then toss together for salad.
For bruschetta, keep zucchini separate. Make tomato salad fresh and then top zucchini halves.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 11:57 am
Thanks Ramom

Question.

As the zucchini noodles sit on the table, doesn't it become watery?
Do ppl mind? Does it bland the flavour?
The times I made it with pesto, the dish became watery very fast, did not mix till last minute. Any way to avoid this?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks Ramom

Question.

As the zucchini noodles sit on the table, doesn't it become watery?
Do ppl mind? Does it bland the flavour?
The times I made it with pesto, the dish became watery very fast, did not mix till last minute. Any way to avoid this?

It does not become watery or bland.
When I can, I dry out the zucchini strands over paper towels for 4 hours on the counter before I sauté them for 2 minutes. I just take care of other household preps in the meantime.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 2:43 pm
Keep the ideas and recipe coming.
I think if I plan healthy meals I'll be ok.

Planning to make lots of different salads and veggie sides
Chicken, Roast, and fish. But need ideas.

Healthy dessert recipes would also be appreciated.
So far I know I'm making a fresh fruit platter and baked apples and pears, but I know my family would like brownies and something mousse like or custard like. Something that won't break the bank calorie wise, and is low carb. I do use xylitol instead of sugar.

Non gebrochts please.

Maybe zucchini brownies, if someone has a good pesach recipe.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:00 pm
I make natural sweet applesauce and poached pears. Sorbet is a nice treat at the end of the day and low cal.
Sliced corned beef, roast beef, grilled chicken, eggs. Capons stuffed with vegetables. Tilapia roll ups. Tuna steaks. Skirt steak salad.
Various vegetable purees instead of mashed potatoes.
Zucchinioli for dairy, Greek salad with eggplant parmesan sans coating.
You can make coconut macaroons with finely shredded coconut, egg whites and sweetener. Keep in the freezer. It's pretty decent if you can't have anything else.
There are some small boxes of Gefen pesach cookies that you can eat about 3 for a snack and stay within 100 calories 2g fat.
15 salted roasted almonds a nice snack.
Greek yogurt with a tablespoon of Pesach granola.
Fudge bombs are lower in fat and carbs than some other recipes. Uses cocoa, egg whites, confectioners sugar, chocolate chips.
You can buy Pesach cake mix and try mixing in a can of soda instead of the recommended ingredients and baking as many do during the year.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:01 pm
Personally, I wouldn't want to feed my family xylitol.

Why not just make a couple of unhealthy desserts for some of the meals and just make sure you only eat one small piece? (and make a small quantity so there isn't tons of it lying around) Make healthier desserts for the other meals. Serve fresh fruit salad when you have the unhealthy desserts. Mango and pomegranate seed salad for example.

Nicole

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 8:41 pm
I've found that you can freeze ripe mangos and blend. Its a natural sorbet and delicious.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 8:15 am
BUMP
ISO Healthy Low Carb Pesach Recipes,
Main, side, weekday, fish, meat, chicken, dairy, dessert(preferably NOT fruit based)
Help me plan so I don't sabotage all the work I've put in.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:
BUMP
ISO Healthy Low Carb Pesach Recipes,
Main, side, weekday, fish, meat, chicken, dairy, dessert(preferably NOT fruit based)
Help me plan so I don't sabotage all the work I've put in.

Main:
capon stuffed with vegetables
pickled dark meat chicken roast
chicken kebabs
grilled steak or roast beef

Sides:
kabocha mashed "potatoes"
cauliflower "rice"
butternut "potato" salad
quinoa salad

Weekday:
meatballs over spaghetti squash
slow roasted sticky "rotisserie" chicken
hearty beef and root vegetable stew
grilled baby chicken

Fish:
tilapia en papillote
garlic baked salmon
sole roll ups
tuna steaks

Dairy:
zucchinioli
baked eggplant parmesan
Portobello mushroom "pizza"
eggplant rollatini

Desserts:
Crustless pumpkin pie
Meringues if sugar is ok
Coconut macaroons
3 color sorbet

Snacks:
Homeade baked carrot chips, butternut squash and beet chips
Homeade fruit leather
Homemade apple chips

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 10:30 pm
WOW ra mom, thank you so much

If it's not too much to ask for recipes

Veggie stuffing for capons, usually I stuff it with ground beef (with rice during the year)

Pickled dark meat roast, never tried it. How do you cook it.

Butternut potato salad

Garlic baked salmon

TIA

Very greatly appreciated

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:08 pm
amother wrote:
WOW ra mom, thank you so much

If it's not too much to ask for recipes

Veggie stuffing for capons, usually I stuff it with ground beef (with rice during the year)

Pickled dark meat roast, never tried it. How do you cook it.

Butternut potato salad

Garlic baked salmon

TIA

Very greatly appreciated

julienne strips of colorful vegetables, sauté for 2 minutes and season with salt and garlic. lay the strips on the capons, roll, season capons and bake.

cook up pickled dark chicken roast like you would a corned beef. or place pickled roast in a pan, spread your fave sauce on top, and bake for 90 minutes.

steam butternut squash cubes. add diced pickles and red onion. combine a few tablespoons low fat mayo with lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper and toss gently.

soak salmon in lemon juice for 15 minutes. pat dry. combine fresh crushed garlic, salt, pepper and a bit of olive oil to form a paste. spread over salmon. sprinkle with parsley flakes. bake uncovered in oven preheated to 400 for 20 minutes.

sky

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 7:38 pm
We don't eat any chicken over Pesach which is making this so much more difficult for us.

@ra_mom - Can I please have the recipe for:
zucchinioli
Eggplant rolitini (dairy)

Thanks
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking