Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Lightly glazed-new serial mishpacha
1  2  3  4  Next

booboo24

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 8:56 am
Anyone read it? The online group that the sister in law keeps posting on, reminds me of imamother.

pointyshoes

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:01 am
omg I was so thinking that she based it on imamother lol. I bet she did

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:08 am
Exactly what I was thinking! The author must be on imamother--- doing research! Very Happy

cnc

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:11 am
OMG
I was chuckling all through!!!
It was definitely referencing Imamother.

booboo24

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:25 am
Looks interesting so far

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:46 am
Well if she's heading in the direction of villifying online forums, let me make it clear that taking away your wife's phone is indeed abusive.

Controling other people is never the answer to that other person's lack of self-control.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
Well if she's heading in the direction of villifying online forums, let me make it clear that taking away your wife's phone is indeed abusive.

Controling other people is never the answer to that other person's lack of self-control.

I don't know if it's called controlling for a man to say please put your phone down and spend time talking to me during supper. He didn't take it for the night, he took it for the duration of supper! She's wrong for talking and texting to her friends during that time! Maybe he could have done it in a nicer way but she's wrong also.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 11:39 am
amother wrote:

I don't know if she's channeling Imamother but I've been waiting for something like this instead of the type of novel wherein someone goes on the Internet once and then a year later she's dead from a drug overdose having gone dramatically OTD in no time flat.

If you read a book like Essentially You by Dr. Elias Aboujuade and The Big Disconnect by Dr. Catherine Steiner-Adair you realize the nuances of what technology does to us and relationships and I think this will be an interesting exploration.

Of course the husband here isn't controlling, he's just fed up and unwise. But since this is a serial we will all end up with the knowledge of how to set boundaries, find a moreh derech and learn to control technology instead of it not controlling us. My guess, at least.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
I don't know if it's called controlling for a man to say please put your phone down and spend time talking to me during supper. He didn't take it for the night, he took it for the duration of supper! She's wrong for talking and texting to her friends during that time! Maybe he could have done it in a nicer way but she's wrong also.

An adult does not take away another adult's property.

I am guessing she sits through dinner glued to her phone (the title brings to mind that glazed expression when thinking of the right phrase for a post lol). He needs to drag her for help, not confiscate her phone like she were a teenager.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 1:02 pm
It totally reminded me of imamother too.
It sounds like the girl is developing a addiction to her phone. Like when she was in the park she really needed to Facetime her friend. Her husband took away her phone cuz he had enough of her being on the phone the whole day and wanted some live attention.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 1:17 pm
If someone took away my phone, they would get my full attention, and probably would regret having it.

booboo24

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:33 pm
she was probably overdramatizing it, her husband must have said something like can you put your phone away while we eat dinner

momof2+?

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 8:52 pm
The difference between their forum and imamother is that imamother is all listed under usernames so people don't know who is really posting. But I definitely made the reference right away.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:03 pm
momof2+? wrote:
The difference between their forum and imamother is that imamother is all listed under usernames so people don't know who is really posting. But I definitely made the reference right away.

Another difference is that it's not just the women of whatever town the story is set in.

rachelbg

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 9:30 pm
This thread was exactly what I logged on to find tonight - other imamothers who read the chapters and saw the correlation right away like I did.

And of course the dh isn't abusive. She's a young, social media-obsessed girl, and she probably is just very theatrical and frantic in her writing...

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 11:01 am
1) It does sound like imamother, I was chuckling.
2) anyone else think, along with me, that in the end this user will not be the author's sister in law, and she'll spend the entire serial hating her and thinking negative of her brother?
3) notice that the author is Rachael lavon. Her previous serial had to be cut short bc one of the characters sounded too similar to a real life person. In that serial, too, she was addressing internet/phone addiction and how we're so busy chronicling our lives on instagram etc that we barely pay real life any mind. I like that she's continuing this storyline, even if she had to change the rest of the story.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 11:50 am
there is a Facebook group very, very similar to this site, so it could be that.

booboo24

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 1:40 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
1) It does sound like imamother, I was chuckling.
2) anyone else think, along with me, that in the end this user will not be the author's sister in law, and she'll spend the entire serial hating her and thinking negative of her brother?
3) notice that the author is Rachael lavon. Her previous serial had to be cut short bc one of the characters sounded too similar to a real life person. In that serial, too, she was addressing internet/phone addiction and how we're so busy chronicling our lives on instagram etc that we barely pay real life any mind. I like that she's continuing this storyline, even if she had to change the rest of the story.

I really liked her first serial, I was disappointed when they cut it short.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 3:40 pm
imasoftov wrote:
If someone took away my phone, they would get my full attention, and probably would regret having it.

Rolling Laughter

I think this is an example of winning the battle and losing the war. He wants her to put her phone down so they can build their relationship - but love is not built with force.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

pointyshoes

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 5:11 pm
Hey what did y'all think of this weeks installment!? Didn't that change things? I'm on Shlomo's side now- poor guy!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room