Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Best States for kids with autism?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 1:24 pm
I know NY is one of them. Are there any others that are comparable? I've heard good things about PA, is that true? I guess I want to know all my options before resigning myself to being stuck in NY.

Sparkle

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:53 pm
Ohio

nylon

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:57 pm
PA is not terrible but is well behind New York. On here you will hear people tell you how much better NY is than NJ... Well here people tell you NJ is much more generous than PA.

In general PA is more aggressive about mainstreaming. For some kids that's a positive. For some it won't be. Both my experience and that of friends is that PA is much less generous for preschool children.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:10 pm
Interesting, nylon. The child in question is on the mild of the spectrum and is already in a program that prepares for mainstreaming. He will be in kindergarten next year, so no longer in preschool. Does that mean Pennsylvania might be more of an option? Open to NJ too, but I heard they give you issues if you send to yeshiva.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:18 pm
Could people replying please explain the reasons behind the reply?
Also can you please include NY for the sake of those who don't already live there, might be thinking about it, and want to know why people say it is the best?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:25 pm
amother wrote:
Could people replying please explain the reasons behind the reply?
Also can you please include NY for the sake of those who don't already live there, might be thinking about it, and want to know why people say it is the best?

I'm Op and currently live in NY. We get speech, ot, PT, counseling, and social skills group. He was approved for an integrated classroom, but we opted out and sent him to a Jewish school (also integrated, but it's obviously not public), and he gets all his services in school except for the social skills group, which happens after school. I haven't had to push much to get any of this, the powers that be read the reports and approved it all.
I'd be interested in hearing more about Ohio from the poster who mentioned it.

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 4:52 pm
From what I've heard, Ohio is awful, actually.
For autistic children, you need state funding for ABA and services even if you decide to send to a NPS. For that, NY really is it. There isn't anywhere else as good.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 5:43 pm
Nylon, my son got diagnosed at CHOP, and the doctor said she tells her NJ patients that she wishes they had something similar to what they have in PA. I don't have experience with any other state, but I know in PA, all children with autism are automatically eligible for medical assistance. There's also the Wraparound program, which helps with coordination for all services. I have my first meeting with them next week, so I can't give you too much info about it. My son was only diagnosed in January, so we're still getting things figured out, although it's on the very, very mild end of it. I have had trouble finding therapists that take the medical assistance, but a big part of that has been my desire to find someone within walking distance (we don't own a car), which has seriously limited our options.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 11:08 am
NY is also very good with providing respite services, aba via insurance, SSI, etc. There are also tons of facilities, programs, resources and agencies when you need a break or a program for when there is no school. There are also very many good schools to choose from.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)