Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
S/O anything wrong with non Jewish music/songs?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 5:48 am
amother wrote:
There's so much beautiful Jewish music out there - can't understand why one would even want to associate with secular music which cam have a bad influence

If you read this thread you will see that many people find that there is NOT so much beautiful Jewish music out there for everyone, especially in English (what the original thread is about). Quite a few posters have given examples of the types of music that is meaningful/beautiful to them that doesn't exist in the Jewish music world.

I personally don't listen to non-Jewish music, but I get their point. The vast majority of English Jewish songs seem to rehash a few basic themes and are not very personal. And even from a musical perspective a lot of it is not great.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 8:52 am
I would not open non Jewish music but when I hear it in the malls or stores must of them are quite vulgar - so you have to hear many horrible ones until you find one that's halfway decent

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 3:52 pm
I just listened today to a song that Rechnitz composed or put together about Shabbos and has to do with his Father in law A'H . It is so meaningful. I dont know if he took from another non Jewish source. I think that an example of songs with meaning. I agree that on topics of divorce or other hard to live with situation, we don't have. When you need a particular style then your options are not available. I hope you find comfort in what listen to.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 4:35 pm
5mom wrote:
I read the article. Maybe we have different ideas about what constitutes a reason.

I hear you ...

but as I recall someone telling me rather than the article - the Rebbe actually saw a bunch of french people and wanted them to feel at home & this was his connection [this version is also more pleasant]

mandksima

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 6:36 pm
I recently heard a song that I can't get out of my mind.I think it is my favorite song ever. (Antony and the Johnsons' "Hope There's Someone" and a duet done on The Voice is really good. and a super cover by Majmad on YouTube.) I absolutely love the tune, the angelic quality of it and I'm not sure about the words because they are confusing. I can't decide if they are anti-Torah or not. It's about death and wanting someone to be with them then but doesn't mention afterlife, doesn't mention G-d. I think the words are fine it is just that the singer isn't Jewish. I really never had a problem with it before but I am trying to make little changes to help me spiritually.

Anyway, the song, I found out after I watched it on YouTube over and over and over, is written/sang by a transgender individual. Suddenly, after my whole lifetime of listening to non-Jewish music, I am questioning whether or not I should continue because they effect it might have on my soul. What essence is this transgender emitting to me when I listen to this song and have it in my head all day? The person obviously had a lot of confusion in life. This song really hits my soul so strongly and I hardly ever feel that. Usually I like a song that is catchy and has a good tune and singer. Maybe this singer is really Jewish (but doesn't know it) and will someday do teshuva and then his music will benefit the Jewish world??? I am torn. Maybe I will add some of my own words and make it my own and then listen to my version... I am considering stopping listening to secular music. I just never find Jewish music I like much. There is nothing like this kind of music in the Jewish world. I am waiting for the Leviim in the Beit Hamikdash to hear inspiring music...BTW, my favorite down time activity is watching music talent shows!

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:
so you have to hear many horrible ones until you find one that's halfway decent

Or you can use google

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 7:07 pm
Are there people that will watch movies and TV but not listen to secular music, or are the people arguing against it also opposed to (clean) movies/TV? Just trying to understand
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions