Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
PSA: Pet Peeve
1  2  3  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 5:40 am
My daughter must DEFINITELY clean up her room, or else she can't go out and play.

She DEFIANTLY told me that she didn't care if she got grounded.

These two words are not interchangeable!

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." ~ Inigo Montoya, Princess Bride.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 6:13 am
Thank you! Also, I am WEARY of people thinking that this word and not WARY is what they mean by "suspicious".

yo'ma

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 7:12 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." ~ Inigo Montoya, Princess Bride.

A like just for the quote LOL . Never read the book, but loved the movie!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 7:46 am
I suspect spell check might sometimes be the culprit.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 9:13 am
Yeah this one I think is autocorrect more often than not. Still...

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 9:19 am
I don't care what autocorrect says. (Spellcheck says that autocorrect isn't even a real word. Wink)

Proofreading is our friend! So is the edit function.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 10:13 am
My pet peeve is " I wanna". I assume the posters mean "I want to". This abbreviation only saves 2 spaces. To me it sounds like a whiny child. I go on imamother to escape whiny children. Do adults really use the word(?) wanna?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 10:18 am
BetsyTacy wrote:
My pet peeve is " I wanna". I assume the posters mean "I want to". This abbreviation only saves 2 spaces. To me it sounds like a whiny child. I go on imamother to escape whiny children. Do adults really use the word(?) wanna?

Sometimes I find myself typing "gonna". Cuz that's how I speak in real life. (Yeah, I really do say "cuz" sometimes instead of because.)

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 10:23 am
To my ears, cuz is casual. Wanna is whiny. I don't wanna go to bed, I wanna have another piece of cake...makes me shudder.

Brownies

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 10:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I don't care what autocorrect says. (Spellcheck says that autocorrect isn't even a real word. Wink)

Proofreading is our friend! So is the edit function.

It's autocorrected to "defiantly" when people do not know how to spell "definitely" and think it's spelt "definatly".

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 11:00 am
My language IRL includes much more slang than I usually use here, because speaking is different than writing. I frequently use words and phrases like lemme, gonna, wanna, what're - what're ya gonna do boutit? Wink

imasoftov

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 12:08 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:

Not disagreeing, there's just no thread for immediate reaction to things that aren't titles ...

(not bad Israeli grammar, the original song says "wanna")

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 12:19 pm
"and I" used incorrectly is my pet peeve. oh, wait. I have a LOT of pet peeves. this is just one of them.

5mom

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 12:19 pm
You cannot be "in the mood of"!!!

You can be in the mood to do or not to do something. You can be in the mood for (or not in the mood for) something. But "of" is just not a possibility.

I realize that this is a yiddishism, but still.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 12:22 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
"and I" used incorrectly is my pet peeve. oh, wait. I have a LOT of pet peeves. this is just one of them.

You'd like a book I'm in the middle of now called "Between You and Me" by Mary Norris, a proofreader for the New Yorker.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 12:31 pm
Me and Him (or variants) just grates on my ears. I'm judgmental but the person's intelligence immediately drops.

I find some bloopers to be funny because it's clear the person has heard the word but never seen it - I recently saw someone write (not on this forum) that a person had a pension for something (instead of penchant) LOL

I often see loose instead of lose and it brings forth unpleasant images to me especially when used in connection with weight loss LOL.

Any adult using teenage text shortcuts in formal written communication gets a theoretical side eye from me (again I admit to being judgmental). Or using such slang while talking - No one over 18 should actually have OMG or amazeballs leave their lips LOL. It reminds me of the equivalent of 45 year old wannabes (used deliberately LOL) using dude or bro.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 1:26 pm
Now I feel really old. I have never even heard of amazeballs.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 1:37 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

Then don't watch the Bachelor/ette. They ALWAYS do that and I hate it. It literally makes me want to shut the page on my screen every time.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 2:25 pm
5mom wrote:
You cannot be "in the mood of"!!!

You can be in the mood to do or not to do something. You can be in the mood for (or not in the mood for) something. But "of" is just not a possibility.

I realize that this is a yiddishism, but still.

My brain cells are freaking out right now.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 2:41 pm
pause wrote:
Then don't watch the Bachelor/ette. They ALWAYS do that and I hate it. It literally makes me want to shut the page on my screen every time.

this is true of all reality shows. irksome, to say the least. I've been listening to dragnet episodes from the 40's/50's, and Jack Webb gets it wrong annoyingly often. I thought this was a new thing, but I guess I was wrong. GAH!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics