Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Sabbath mode slide in or free standing gas range

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 10:18 am
Anyone shopping for a new range and using the Star-K Sabbath-mode guide?
I am reaching dead-ends trying to find a good model that conforms to their standards.
I had a great Kitchen Aid that had an easy to use Sabbath Mode operation and seemed to be the best type according to Star-K guidelines. But, now Kitchen Aid is not using regular self-clean cycle for environmental concerns so their ovens are made with Aqua Lift which is reportedly not as effective, nor hot enough to kasher an oven, if necessary.
Star-K recommends number entry once in Sabbath mode to change temps.on YT, but the GE ovens whose manuals I read on-line seem to be using arrow keys for 35 degree increments up or down-not very user friendly, and probably less halachically ideal.
I was also told to look for latest models bec. GE had problems with their Sabbath mode in 2015, but the latest models are more expensive-with more bells and whistles. It is not clear if the earlier models that a store has in stock will have the correction that GE made in the sabbath mode operation.
Any insight or help is appreciated.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 10:37 am
What 'is' sabbath mode?

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 11:06 am
Sabbath mode in ranges — really more of a YomTov mode — overrides the 12-hr power shutoff present in most residential ranges, and by use of a grama permits changing the temperature on YomTov. Note: Not all Rebbeim allow you to reset the temperature on Sabbath mode ranges and ovens.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen