Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 7:15 pm
Just curious if there are any young ones out there who make pesach and why. By young I mean married a few years

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 7:20 pm
I did it! And had a full table of dh's relatives. I thought it was so hard until the following yr when I did it again with a newborn. So I thought that was really hard, making pesach with a newborn but then the next yr I made pesach with a toddler and was terribly nauseous at the beginning of a pregnancy. I really thought that was the hardest thing ... but a different yr I just had baby right before pesach .... one yr I was sick and had a house full of little kids and guests were coming ..... and then I look back at the first yr and wonder why I ever thought it was hard back then?

cm

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 7:25 pm
I had an off-campus apartment in college, so I kashered for Pesach from an early age.

I didn't host my own Seder until I was married for about three years and moved to a larger place. No room for yom tov guests in our little newlywed apartment.

If you want to move this thread to the "Pesach" section, let the mods know. I thought this was going to be about a Pesach theme for Purim, lol.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 1:17 am
I made pesach the 2nd year we were married because I just found out I was going through infertility and everyone in the family was busy having babies around that time, and I couldn't face being there with the family.

I literally last minute panicked and decided to stay home. I also had to go to mikvah chol hamoed so we anyway cleaned the house, this just meant we also changed over the kitchen and made a seder, just the two of us. It actually turned out so awesome that we made pesach again the next year and the year after, although one year we did go to the in laws for seder. This year we are going to be away for the whole thing again, but we still made pesach for the guests staying in our apartment. I kind of regret it now, if we're anyway making the effort I would love to cook and have some time as a family. (BH we are now a growing family!)

Anyway, I highly recommend it if family doesn't mind. It's easy to keep things simple and it's so much fun to be able to follow customs from both your homes at seder night and try out recipes etc. I love the way the home feels clean, fresh and different too.

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 2:57 am
I made pesach starting from about 2 years married. Had lots of guests too.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 9:10 am
Made Pesach for the first time 2 years after I got married. Been making pesach ever since (married 7 years now).
It gets more stressful every year but I also get better at it and have better ways of dealing with it.

tehilla1

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 5:26 am
I have made Pesach from the 2nd year married with loads of guest every year. It was challenging but also felt amazing. It definitely gets easier every year in the way

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 5:47 am
I kashered already the first year and cooked all chol hamoed meals. We ate home for some meals by the second year I believe. I think we had guests the third year. And we made our first seder the fourth year we were married IIRC.
Why? Because I love being home and dislike staying by people and/or relying on others.

pizza4

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 6:37 am
We made pesach the second year married, but I think we did eat out a meal or two. The first pesach we just bought a burner and a couple items for breakfast and lunch.
Past few years we've been staying home for the second days. Not yet up to making a seder.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 6:48 am
After four years we made our own sederim. We are makpid on not eating gebrokts and parents are not so we kept eating on a separate table. But then we just stopped because it was a huge shlep.

pizza4

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 8:52 am
amother wrote:
After four years we made our own sederim. We are makpid on not eating gebrokts and parents are not so we kept eating on a separate table. But then we just stopped because it was a huge shlep.

I hope you asked a shaila about that. I remember learning that it is fine to eat at your parents table- Gebrokts is minhag.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 9:22 am
I made Pesach a few months after I got married and my family came.

little_mage

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 9:23 am
I'm a BT married to a ger. I make Pesach every year. It's not that complicated. Especially because I'm a crappy housekeeper, it's not precisely easy, but it isn't that big a deal, the way people seem to think. I love being in my own space, and it's so nice, since we're early birds, to be able to do the seder at our own pace.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 9:38 am
I've done Pesach from the first year married, 30 years.
The 1st year it was DH and I alone.
After that we always had a lot of family even during Chol Hamoed, 10-15 ppl at each meal.
Today I convert my garage into a Pesach kitchen
I have an electric range just for Pesach that I plug into the dryer outlet
I clean very well my spare refrigerator and freezer.
All my Pesach dishes and utensils are in plastic shelving with doors I bought at Home Depot, the cheapest kind.
I use my laundry sink and a foldable table as my counter.
I start cooking Rosh Chodesh.
Try to freeze as much as possible.

imasinger

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 10:31 am
DD (married 5 years) will probably be making Pesach herself this year. With help of DH, catering, and whatever I can send down. Because she's due on the first day, and she lives 5 hours away.

I'm davening that the baby be born (only if it is b'sha'ah tovah) a week earlier, so maybe they will travel the 5 hours to me, and not have to deal with it.

Mildly amusing that this is posted under Purim. Hope it's not Adar shtick a couple of weeks early!

elisheva25

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:05 pm
We've always made pesach either in full or partial.
Neither of our parents are frum so we really had nowhere to go
One year I had a newborn and we went to a hotel.
It's doable .
Hard but doable

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:49 pm
Our first pesach I was married for less than a year and I was 9 month pregnant in Israel, while all other relatives were in USA. I made Pesach for us, my in laws, my parents, and my brother in law. I was 20 years old!
2nd and third year I made pesach in Israel and hosted my in laws and BIL/SIL
4th year I went to my parents
5th year my in laws brought us to a hotel
6th year we are making pesach for us and my in laws. At this point, it is easier to have our own table/setting/schedule than it is to be a guest in my parents or in laws home. We have three kids. I think that since I had to do it that first year, it took away the fear that it is such a big deal. It helps that I am not an "impressive" kind of cooker. We need a protein, starch, veggie, dessert at each meal, and not more. This year I am using my extra freezer and crock pot to make some things in advance. I have a cleaning lady. It is really not as big a deal as people think.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics