Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Far Rockaway 5 Towns area
1  2  Next

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:08 am
We are looking to relocate from Brooklyn to the 5 towns Far Rockaway area. I did not grow up East and am not so familiar with the various communities there. I am hearing a bunch of names of areas, Far Rockaway, Woodmere, North Woodmere, Lawrence, Inwood, Bayswater, Hewlett, Cedarhurst etc. We are obviously in the very beginning of our search for a community. DH will IYH be starting a job in Far Rockaway proper so closeness to the city is not a big deal for us. I would consider us Yeshivish. DH wears white shirt. We dont have TV and just got internet for work. DH learned for 4 years before going to work. I am more laid back and simple. I definitely don't want to have to keep up the Cohens and buy my kids all the latest clothing and gadgets. We would like to spend no more than 500k on a house. We have two kids aged 3 and one so up and coming area is fine. If anyone can describe me the above communities that I listed or tell me any area that I didn't list or just tell me based on my description what communities I should look into more and what I should cross off my list it will be very appreciated. Thanks.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:13 am
Anonymous cuz I don't want to give away my name in connection to location but I suggest Bayswater for you. You can find nice big houses for under 500,000 though is getting pretty close to that already and the community sounds like a good fit to your description.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:17 am
thanks. one more thing I forgot to add in my opening past was that I very much want a community. When I move on the block people should notice and come say hello. After a baby people should offer to make supper etc. I have no family at all east and I find it very hard in Brooklyn that there is no family or community. I am totally on my own. Community is very important to me.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:17 am
It's a very keep up with the Cohens area. If you don't mind tuning that out, you can manage.

tooperfect

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:24 am
I think of all the places you mentioned, far rockaway, Bayswater, and in wood, are the most yeshivish. Far Rockaway housing is very expensive, probably 700,000+ even for a very small house. Inwood is probably the smallest, but up and coming and really growing. I think Bayswater is the most yeshivish neighborhood and I believe it he ppl there are very friendly, and not at all "keeping up with the Cohen's"

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
It's a very keep up with the Cohens area. If you don't mind tuning that out, you can manage.

Have u ever visited Bayswater?

Its the total opposite of "keeping up with the Cohens".

OP, I recommend Bayswater and Inwood. Far Rockaway is probably out of your price range.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
Have u ever visited Bayswater?

Its the total opposite of "keeping up with the Cohens".

OP, I recommend Bayswater and Inwood. Far Rockaway is probably out of your price range.

I was going to say the same thing. Bayswater is completely the opposite. We've been here for a year and a half, and we are quite happy. It's close to my kids school in far rock away, and it's close enough to all the 5T shopping, if you need it.

doctorima

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:51 am
As others have said, Far Rockaway is the most yeshivish, but not in your budget. Bayswater is your best bet and most realistic option, with affordable housing, much more simple than many of the other places you mentioned, a fairly yeshivish crowd, and much warmer than Brooklyn.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 11:56 am
thanks for all the replies. Can you please compare and contrast Inwood to Bayswater as far as housing and community.

twogees

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:17 pm
inwood is a small community that is slowly becoming jewish (we have a rebbi and a few friends that live there) dont know about housing tho...just looked and in inwood where my husbands rebbe lives, there are a few houses for 479 and under (but most are 3 bed or less)....bayswater is probably better as there is a bigger jewish community (I think but I am biased as I grew up there) looking on zillow as well there are 2 houses between 415 and 425 that are in the jewish area. one bayswater house is a 4 bed 2 bath and the other is a 6 bed 3 bath....

Moonlight

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:34 pm
agree with all the above. nix cedarhurst, woodmere, north woodmere, lawrence, and hewlett from your list.

twogees

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:38 pm
tho there is condo for sale thats for 299 (2 bed/1.5 bath) thats the only thing I see for sale thats in the jewish part of fr...

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:45 pm
Bayswater and Inwood sound like the best fit for you.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:51 pm
I add another vote for bayswater. Fits just what you are looking for. I moved here 6 months ago and I love it. Inwood is alittle more flatbushy. Much more keep up with the cohens..

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 7:06 am
There is actually a small but growing yeshivish section of Hewlett near south shore. (people who send to Siach, husband was/is in kollel and are very down to earth) It's a smaller chevra than bayswater, but Hewlett is safer than bayswater and you have the advantages of Nassau (better public services than nyc, but also higher taxes)

Hatzlacha!

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 10:21 am
blue46 wrote:
There is actually a small but growing yeshivish section of Hewlett near south shore. (people who send to Siach, husband was/is in kollel and are very down to earth) It's a smaller chevra than bayswater, but Hewlett is safer than bayswater and you have the advantages of Nassau (better public services than nyc, but also higher taxes)

Hatzlacha!

I would definitely send my son to Darchai not Siach when I move to the area. My daughter is only 1.5 but I imagine shed go to BBY. What is the housing like in the Yeshivish Hewlett area. size and price? and do you have any clue how many families are there. Is there any darchai families there or only Siach? We love all jews and have no problem with chassidish people as neighbors or kids friends but my husband is very much a product of the mainstream litvish yeshivish system and thats the type of davening/learning/rabbis he is comfortable with. From what I understand Siach has a more chassidish vibe.

chayamiriam

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 10:27 am
Bays water not really a safe neighborhood Woodmere,cider hurst, north Woodmere,Hewlett much nicer and a lot safer! Just my opinion

chayamiriam

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 10:28 am
Bays water not really a safe neighborhood Woodmere,cider hurst, north Woodmere,Hewlett much nicer and a lot safer! Just my opinion

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 10:45 am
chayamiriam wrote:

Bayswater: lower class neighborhood, frum crowd is very out-of-towny and low-key and friendly

Woodmere, Lawrence, Cedarhurst- middle/upper class neighborhoods, frum crowd is in-towny and higher social pressures

North Woodmere- middle class neighborhood, frum crowd is young and growing with many flatbush imports, friendly but flatbushy

Hewlett- middle class neighborhood, has a mix of low-key friendly frum families, but frum community never really took off, so its small

Inwood- middle class neighborhood, frum crowd is similar to far rockaway crowd, growing area, friendly

Far Rockaway- middle/lower class neighborhood, frum crowd is somewhere between in-town and out-of-town, friendly

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 10:48 am
chayamiriam wrote:

Might have been true 15 years ago, but not now. Bayswater is BH very safe. FarRock/Nassau
Shomrim patrols originated in Bayswater and they're doing a fantastic job. Plus, there are so many more frum families living here. I would definitely not call Bayswater unsafe.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating