Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
14 month old not walking or standing on her own
1  2  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Apr 01 2016, 5:43 pm
any recs on things to do with my 14 month old myself rather than going to PT? I'm not worried per se but would do things that help if I knew what. She pulls to standing holding on but doesn't seem even close to standing up on her own.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Apr 01 2016, 5:46 pm
give it time she's still young 15-18 is average

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Apr 01 2016, 6:29 pm
My first didn't walk or really stand on her own till over 15 months. Unless you suspect an underlying issue I wouldn't worry at all. Kids just learn when they're ready. My second walked at 9 months.

momofone613

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 4:05 pm
My child only started at abt 17months, and still nds help walking. Unless Dr says something is causing it, don't worry Smile they do it when they want to Very Happy

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 5:56 pm
Is she crawling really vigorously? Can she move really fast to get to something? Is she showing any signs of low muscle tone? Is she a chunky baby?

All of these things need to be taken into consideration. If she's getting around really well, she may not see the need to stand yet. If she seems like a "floppy baby", then she needs to be evaluated for PT. If she's on the larger side, it seems to take those babies a bit longer to get up and moving on their feet.

It never hurts to bring it up at her next pediatrician's appointment. In the meantime, try holding a toy just out of her reach, and see if she will try and stand up for it. She might just be "lazy", and decide that the toy is not worth the effort, or she might surprise you and get right up!

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 8:26 pm
Leave her alone. Perfectly normal. It is pointless to rush things.

gp2.0

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 10:19 pm
My first baby only began crawling at 10 months, pulled up by 11 months and was walking at 12 months.

My second baby started crawling at 6 months and crawled happily for a full year. She walked at 18 months.

Every baby is different and babies don't care about official time schedules and charts.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
give it time she's still young 15-18 is average

Actually 12 months is average and 18 months is late normal. I would try to help strengthen your baby's legs and core. Do you have a bouncer or a jumparoo?

gp2.0

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:
Actually 12 months is average and 18 months is late normal. I would try to help strengthen your baby's legs and core. Do you have a bouncer or a jumparoo?

Isn't crawling the best thing for strengthening babies legs and core? I'd think so, it's basically doing push ups all day.

otsrock

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 11:00 pm
Encourage her to reach while she is standing. You might put two chairs. Ext to each other and see if she can go from one to another. Please don't take the advice of other unconcerned mothers. You are doing the right thing by wanting your child to progress. I treat school aged children, and most of them were late or "never" crawlers. It really impacts later development.

cm

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 11:16 pm
What does your pediatrician think?

Miri1

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 12:16 pm
The right thing to do is request an evaluation.

Iy"H there is no need to worry, but you should be on top of knowing what your baby needs (worrying isn't a prerequisite for that, so I don't even understand why posters are saying "don't worry", it has no practical benefit for your child!)

There are number of factors that determine how to help your baby, such as how long your baby has been crawling, where she is holding in other areas of development, whether she is motivated to be mobile (cruising?), etc.

Don't wait another few months before you decide to get the ball rolling, because it could take some time from your initial phone call.

Some babies are early, some are late, without any particular repercussions. But if any type of intervention is recommended, you want it earlier, rather than later.

Miri1

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 12:44 pm
Also, if you are in the USA, the EI system doesn't require a baby to "go to PT". The evaluation is free, in your home (but takes some time to set up, which is why it is really worth calling now, so that you have set things in motion).
If PT is recommended, the cost is minimal, and it takes place at your home.

Miri1

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:

These are discouraged by PT's and when overused (more than 15 minutes a day) can hinder gross motor development. (One theory is that the baby can't actually see his feet, so they get no visual feedback).

Best speak to a professional about what your child needs.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 1:25 pm
The pediatrician put the idea of a PT out there but didn't say it was a must right now. She started crawling at about 10-11 months and now crawls quickly. She isn't taking steps while holding on at all but finally started pulling herself to standing while holding on to the couch or something. I wasn't worried, but sometimes reading posts makes me wonder if I should be. We have no concern of muscle tone, she's not floppy. She is a chunky baby and doesn't seem to have any motivation to stand or take steps when we put toys out of her reach. We've seen her climb steps so we know she can but she rarely does when we put her on steps. I like the idea of standing her up and encouraging her to take steps while at least holding on to something. Didn't know EI could be set up for free in the house, good to know. She might just be fine on her own, it's hard to tell.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 2:41 pm
In my experience (and I'm not a professional, I still think you should be in touch with EI), you do want the baby to spend at least 4 months crawling. You also want a good amount of cruising (side walking holding on) before the baby is walking independently.

Pediatricians are often quite laissez faire when it comes to development, and don't even ask about crawling. I think you really need someone to feel the baby, observe, decide if she's floppy or stiff, just fine, and put your mind at ease.

My baby was slow to hit milestones, and it turns out she had a mild stiffness one side that was totally dismissed by the pediatrician.

EI was able to help her and get her on track.

otsrock

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 5:46 pm
And for those who dismiss the non walking for her age, I would too, if not for the other slight delays. For example, pulling up to stand is a 9-10 month skill, so at this rate she would need a little help speeding up her development.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 5:58 pm
Imo it's goo to get her evaluated. It's free and you will be ahead of the game. If your told she's just a late bloomer that's ok.

My kid is 13 months and just started really cruising. She stared a few weeks ago but just a step here or there now she's officially going from one place to the other. What got her going was slooowwwwllllyyyyy moving the chair she pulled herself up onto and holding onto her so she doesn't feel like she's falling. And talking to her while Doug it. I did it a few times for 2-3 days til she got the hang of it. She's so proud! My eyes you can try that. Gl. And again an ei evolution is always good in such a situation.

Volunteer

Post Sun, Apr 03 2016, 11:26 pm
If you're concerned, you can take up your pediatrician' s offer for a professional evaluation

How is the baby progressing in other areas (fine motor, speech, social/ emotional) ? Sometimes a baby will concentrate so hard on one area of development, that another area goes on the back burner temporarily.

Mine is also a late roller, sitter, crawler, and walker, but he is ahead in the speech area, so it balances out. He gets to everything eventually, on his own schedule.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 4:19 am
Miri1 wrote:
Also, if you are in the USA, the EI system doesn't require a baby to "go to PT". The evaluation is free, in your home (but takes some time to set up, which is why it is really worth calling now, so that you have set things in motion).
If PT is recommended, the cost is minimal, and it takes place at your home.

In most states there is no cost for ei. I think nj is the only state with a cost share and your income needs to be so high and your payment is still so low it shouldn't hinder you from proceeding. The eval is always free. Go for it! You would probably be eligible. Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics