Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Have you watched Vaxxed ?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Jade

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 5:04 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
What I want to know is, how up to date were the Harvard students? When did they get their most recent boosters? Adults tend to forget that they need to keep up to date on their vaccines.

Before we came to Israel, everyone in the family had a full titre panel done, and we all got caught up. (I didn't know how hard or easy it would be under our new medical insurance, so I figured we'd just get it done ahead of time.) It turned out that I needed varicella, and DD needed meningitis boosters.

A good friend of mine lost his fiance, when she was in college. She came down with some sort of "flu" while she was cramming for finals. 24 hours later she was dead. It turned out that she had gotten meningitis, and her vaccine was out of date. It was so tragic, and totally preventable. It happened a week before the planned wedding. Crying

How often are you supposed to get the MMR boosters?

The articles say that the students had the vaccines required to attend college.

mille

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 6:51 pm
Maybe wrote:
Would it make sense to you, to talk to parents who have a few vaxxed & a few non vaxxed kids the see the difference ?

Same genes, air, school etc. 1 major chage. Compare how many sick visits each child had ,@ what age they started crawling walking talking ?

These things have nothing to do with each other. I am fully vaccinated and I walked at 9 months, talked with multiple words at 1 year. But, alas, the plural of anecdote is not data.

I don't think such a study would be without confounding factors - meaning that, at best, it would be correlational, if you had enough data points to even look at. Maybe if you had twin studies, but the issue with this is that it would probably be retrospective and based on self reports from parents, as it would probably not be deemed ethical to vaccinate one twin and not another twin. However, there are studies of unrelated people and it has not been found that vaccinated children are more sick than unvaccinated children. This is a fallacy you are buying into based on anecdotes, not any real science.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:28 pm
amother wrote:
How often are you supposed to get the MMR boosters?

The articles say that the students had the vaccines required to attend college.

Actually the article I posted earlier in this thread mentioned that researchers are looking into the possibility of there being another booster around college age. Basically college is the perfect environment for transmitting mumps due to all the spit swapping. But the cases are much more mild than what we used to see with mumps before vaccination.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:48 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Actually the article I posted earlier in this thread mentioned that researchers are looking into the possibility of there being another booster around college age. Basically college is the perfect environment for transmitting mumps due to all the spit swapping. But the cases are much more mild than what we used to see with mumps before vaccination.
Right. Because when the standard is no longer effective, we just shoot everyone up with another booster. Instead of wondering or doubting why it ain't doin' what it's "supposed to."

Maya

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
Right. Because when the standard is no longer effective, we just shoot everyone up with another booster. Instead of wondering or doubting why it ain't doin' what it's "supposed to."

It's doin' what's it's "supposed to" for an average of 18 years, during one's childhood, to protect him or her during a vulnerable phase of life. Just because it needs a booster doesn't prove it's ineffective or harmful. Such thinking is beyond me.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 9:05 pm
Maya wrote:
It's doin' what's it's "supposed to" for an average of 18 years, during one's childhood, to protect him or her during a vulnerable phase of life. Just because it needs a booster doesn't prove it's ineffective or harmful. Such thinking is beyond me.

Then why argue? There's no point.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:

Did you read the article or what I wrote? It is doing what it's supposed to. There is way less mumps and serious effects from mumps due to the vaccine. Part of the reason new boosters may be required is due to waning herd immunity, so thanks for that!

Maya

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 9:35 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Then why argue? There's no point.

You're right.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 9:46 pm
Maya wrote:
You're right.

I know I am. That's why I never join in these conversations. I'm scared I might explode. Or through my iPad out the window, or something.....

Maya

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 9:57 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I know I am. That's why I never join in these conversations. I'm scared I might explode. Or through my iPad out the window, or something.....

Over yomtov I saw that the Tachlis magazine, which is distributed for free in heimishe communities, ran a four-page advertorial from our crazy friends over at Peach, the "organization" which works to raise "awareness" about the "dangers" of vaccines.
A family member is the editor of Tachlis. I was literally shaking with rage. The irresponsibility of doing that just blows my mind! At wits end At wits end

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 11:41 pm
Big deal, you place an ad for the other side.

http://www.thetachlis.com/#!magazine/lk9do page 65

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 9:04 am
Jumping in here from the point of view of a mom with a kid with autism who chose to vaccinate her later kids, too...

My son was diagnosed with autism shortly after the Wakefield (1998) study came out. At the time we were desperate for info - any info - about what could be causing what we were dealing with. So, yes, we kept a eye on the MMR theory...and the leaky gut theory...and the genetic one, and the cluster one (re environmental factors being more prevalent in some areas), and the idea that smarter women were meeting smarter men in the work place, and therefore their genes combining were causing autism (yes, that's really a theory, link here - http://hanlonblog.dailymail.co.....ments ), along with anything else we could find.

So, what happened when the next kid was due for his shots, and this possibility - which hadn't yet been challenged - seemed to be everywhere? My husband and I talked about it, and I spoke with our pediatrician as well. I also did what research I could and at the end of the day we decided to vaccinate. Why? NOT because we thought the shots were safe, because at that point there were a lot of questions about the safety of the MMR vaccine. Rather, we vaccinated because as much as autism is no picnic, it isn't fatal, and a lot of the things that vaccines protect our kids from are fatal. So, as much as we hoped that none of our other kids would get autism, we were willing to roll the dice if it meant keeping them alive and out of physical harm.

Today, scientists still aren't sure exactly what causes autism, so I think parents need to decide for themselves and their families, with the help of their doctors, what makes sense for them. For me as a mom, I choose to vaccinate, because as far as I can tell that's still the best option. To not vaccinate just seems too risky to me.

goldrose

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
Jumping in here from the point of view of a mom with a kid with autism who chose to vaccinate her later kids, too...

My son was diagnosed with autism shortly after the Wakefield (1998) study came out. At the time we were desperate for info - any info - about what could be causing what we were dealing with. So, yes, we kept a eye on the MMR theory...and the leaky gut theory...and the genetic one, and the cluster one (re environmental factors being more prevalent in some areas), and the idea that smarter women were meeting smarter men in the work place, and therefore their genes combining were causing autism (yes, that's really a theory, link here - http://hanlonblog.dailymail.co.....ments ), along with anything else we could find.

So, what happened when the next kid was due for his shots, and this possibility - which hadn't yet been challenged - seemed to be everywhere? My husband and I talked about it, and I spoke with our pediatrician as well. I also did what research I could and at the end of the day we decided to vaccinate. Why? NOT because we thought the shots were safe, because at that point there were a lot of questions about the safety of the MMR vaccine. Rather, we vaccinated because as much as autism is no picnic, it isn't fatal, and a lot of the things that vaccines protect our kids from are fatal. So, as much as we hoped that none of our other kids would get autism, we were willing to roll the dice if it meant keeping them alive and out of physical harm.

Today, scientists still aren't sure exactly what causes autism, so I think parents need to decide for themselves and their families, with the help of their doctors, what makes sense for them. For me as a mom, I choose to vaccinate, because as far as I can tell that's still the best option. To not vaccinate just seems too risky to me.

Spot on with the bold. Pro CHOICE. Parents should have the right to decide what they think is best for their children.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:13 pm
I watchedvthe trailer and it is very convincing. These are big doctors and scientists on the anti vax side. Why should I not believe them and be convinced not to vax?

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:57 pm
Maybe wrote:
Would it make sense to you, to talk to parents who have a few vaxxed & a few non vaxxed kids the see the difference ?

Same genes, air, school etc. 1 major chage. Compare how many sick visits each child had ,@ what age they started crawling walking talking ?

How about talking to a sibling?

I'm the 4th of 12 children B"AH. I was vaxed right on schedule. At some point my mother decided to delay vaccines.

My younger brother, who did not have his MMR till well past his 2nd birthday, was already displaying signs of his condition well before he ever had a single vaccine. He is the only member of my family to have had speech delays (his hearing was tested and ruled) and he showed social delays as well.

By the way, the first time I ever took antibiotics was at the age of 18 (I got walking pneumonia while spending my seminary year in Israel). Fully vaxed. I don't remember ever going for a sick visit as a child.

My grandfather lost 4 siblings to an epidemic (likely smallpox) when he was a young boy in Hungary. Seems their unvaxed status did not make them healthy enough to withstand the illness.

Remind me why they developed vaccines in the first place?

Maybe

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 4:42 pm
To Chayalle

You are smart enough to know, that your case is the exception, not the rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....dex=2

cnc

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:57 pm
Maybe wrote:
To Chayalle

You are smart enough to know, that your case is the exception, not the rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....dex=2

I don't think it's an exception or a rule.

nylon

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 6:33 pm
amother wrote:
Wow rude! I expected more from you Mrs Dash. Everyone is allowed their opinion

But this isn't an opinion.

An opinion is subjective. "Chocolate is better than vanilla." It's unprovable.

This is a disagreement of fact. Everyone can believe what they want--you can't be forced to change your beliefs. But saying it's an opinion misses the point that people are making testable factual claims. You can't disagree with an opinion about ice cream flavors--everyone can have their opinion. But vaccines don't work like that.

Also, my kid has autism because I have it and I'm not sure my husband doesn't. He never got the MMR until he was 35 years old.

They keep looking and looking for an autism-vaccine connection. They've never found it. If you go and reexamine adults according to modern criteria, you get rates just like the ones in kids.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 9:37 pm
Does anyone know where I can find any research regarding allergys and vaccines?

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:43 am
Maya wrote:
Over yomtov I saw that the Tachlis magazine, which is distributed for free in heimishe communities, ran a four-page advertorial from our crazy friends over at Peach, the "organization" which works to raise "awareness" about the "dangers" of vaccines.
A family member is the editor of Tachlis. I was literally shaking with rage. The irresponsibility of doing that just blows my mind! At wits end At wits end

I didn't get a chance to read it yet but thanks for the heads up. I am already aware that they are taking the "natural" way of life based on previous issues. Grrrrr.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics