Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Chasidish people going to pesach programs?
1  2  Next

stay fit

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 12:35 pm
I see all these pesach programs & wondering if any chasidish people go to these?
I would love to go, this year has been tough for me physically & emotionally with twins & family issues.
I would just love to go away with husband & kids & not have to deal with the cleaning & cooking. Going to family is not an option.
I don't need to be with chasidish people but would like a frum place where kashrus can be trusted.
Any information is appreciated

doctorima

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 12:54 pm
You seem to be asking for 2 different things. If all you want is a frum program with reliable kashrus, there are certainly many options. If you want chassidish attendees, that's completely different.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 1:06 pm
I was on a program 2 years ago that was at least 50% chassidish. That program is no longer in business unfortunately but to answer your question, chassidim most certainly do go away

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 1:07 pm
The vast majority of the programs advertise chassidishe schita. Look out for that.
There are places that have more of a heimish feel in terms of crowd where you would feel comfortable. There will always a smattering of shtreimel wearing families who attend these programs but they are not the majority.
Look into places like the Chalet, Gateways, Raleigh.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 1:08 pm
I'm chasidish, and if I had the money, I would run!! as long as you trust the kashrus, I'd say go for it. even if the majority of pple there aren't chasidish, you're all jews, all celebrating the same YT. be open and you'll make new acquaintances.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 1:15 pm
There are many programs where Chassidish people go so if your question is whether this group goes, it does.

Some of the nicest programs are mixed so if you are comfortable with mixed, you have a wider choice but I am sure there are programs that are predominantly Chassidish.

At this late date, I think practically find programs in areas you would go within your budget and check to see if the level is up to your standards and whether there are vacancies.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 1:20 pm
I'm surprised that Chassidish people would be able to attend since most have the minhag of "Men misht zich nisht"...this would be the opitome of "mishing".

Maya

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 1:25 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
I'm surprised that Chassidish people would be able to attend since most have the minhag of "Men misht zich nisht"...this would be the opitome of "mishing".

Same.

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 1:47 pm
Many also have the issue of the food, not just shchita. For those who boil their sugar and make everything from scratch and dknt bring prepared food into the home, it would be an issue. I am assuming not for op.

stay fit

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 3:44 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:

Yes same in our family, that is why I asked if chassidish people would join these programs.
For me right now, I feel like my sanity comes before any minhaggim...

I am open minded and don't need to be only with chasiddish people, but would like to be in a heimish environment where we will feel comfortable.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 3:47 pm
you can call the program number and ask what kind of crowd they are having this year. ask them if and how many chasidish families are joining them.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 3:58 pm
stay fit wrote:
Yes same in our family, that is why I asked if chassidish people would join these programs.
For me right now, I feel like my sanity comes before any minhaggim...

I am open minded and don't need to be only with chasiddish people, but would like to be in a heimish environment where we will feel comfortable.

Regarding kashrus, it really depends if your DH is willing to be meikil the way you are willing to be, as you are supposed to follow what your DH does. So if he's makpid only to eat peeled foods, that wont necessarily be the case in a hotel. You were asking if chasidish ppl attend hotels, there is probably a bare minimum since they are the most makpid of not mishing etc. But you will find ppl that dont follow their parents chumros...I personally am not makpid about the not mishing thing...and we are pretty lenient with what we eat, but still would not feel comfortable going to a hotel for Pesach because of kashrus....it all depends on how you feel about it. Just note from a friend that went to a Pesach hotel...it is a fashion show for the women and major pressure to have a different outfit for every meal etc...very NOT my type.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 2:41 am
If Chabad kashrus is fine by you, Pesach at Lake Tahoe is wonderful (and you can have all your veggies peeled:)). Also, I saw a Chabad program on the beach in Ventura, CA that has some nice speakers too. Additionally, the Chabad programs cost less as they are more heimish, without the big name entertainment and extravaganza stuff.

We went to one with chassidishe meat/ cholov Yisorel another year and it was mostly a Flatbush/Five Towns crowd. It was nice, but not us. The Chabad one felt very comfortable and restful.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 2:45 am
About the fashion show thing...yes, the non-Chabad ones are like that, but I was ok with it because I don't care and didn't know anyone. However, you really don't feel like wearing the same thing to the dining room all day so changing is pretty natural. I didn't feel people were profiling. Even the ones with private rooms for their seders were super friendly.

myself

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 6:27 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:

In general, my guess is that chassidim that go are either more chilled, or have extenuating circumstances that overrides the minhag at that time.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 6:45 am
Wow. I didn't grow up with this mishing thing and didn't know if my friends did that. I grew up in Williamsburg. I remember one classmate that told me her grandfather didn't eat at his own kids' houses. I couldn't fathom it. Another one told me they eat shmaltz. That's it. Our family did go away one Pesach because of circumstances. That was a Pesach to remember...

I got married with the full blown non mishing!

Raisin

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 6:49 am
We don't "mish" but we will eat in parents or siblings houses. One of my siblings has even more chumros then my parents for pesach, when they go to my parents they take on those additional chumros.

We had moshiach seuda in friends houses every year on pesach but we all bought our own food.

cnc

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 7:05 am
amother wrote:
Wow. I didn't grow up with this mishing thing and didn't know if my friends did that. I grew up in Williamsburg. I remember one classmate that told me her grandfather didn't eat at his own kids' houses. I couldn't fathom it. Another one told me they eat shmaltz. That's it. Our family did go away one Pesach because of circumstances. That was a Pesach to remember...

I got married with the full blown non mishing!

My parents and in laws won't eat at my house either on Pesach.

My parents make everything from scratch including shmaltz and potato starch. My in laws eat many bought products but don't use garlic or salmon-(which my parents do use):

I use garlic, salmon , and bought products...

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:50 am
What is "mishing"?

cnc

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 10:03 am
dancingqueen wrote:
What is "mishing"?

It means to eat from other people's kitchens on Pesach.
It varies, some people like my parents won't eat from anyone- even companies. They don't use any processed items- everything is made from scratch.
Others will use from companies but won't eat at people's homes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics