Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
9 weeks, barely smiles

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 5:33 pm
My baby is 9 weeks old, and though he has smiled true smiles a few times over the last few weeks, it's very very rare. Smiling and talking to him and doing silly stuff don't elicit smiles most of the time, though he does make eye contact. He actually usually has a worried look on his face. I'm not joking, other people have noticed that his default expression is worried. He has reflux which we just started treating a few days ago and it seems to be helping. Maybe he'll smile more now that he's feeling better? Also, not sure it makes a difference, but he was born at 37 weeks, so not technically premature but early. I saw the doctor 2 weeks ago and didn't bring it up, next appointment is in 6 weeks. Should I call over this? Wait and see?

water_bear88

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 5:44 pm
He's young for real social smiles. Make a point of giving him attention when he does smile- that's how babies learn to associate it with positive social interaction. Early smiles that people think are real are just reflex. It's fine that they're mistaken until they start freaking out new mothers who think their 5-week-old or 9-week-old babies are developmentally behind when they absolutely aren't.

Eye contact is great! Keep doing what you're doing.

solo

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 6:44 pm
Ds was the same. 5 yrs later he's developing fine bh, but still not a very smiley child. He is a happy child, also very thoughtful

jewishmom5

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 7:27 pm
My baby is 5 months now and we still have to work hard for a smile. When he was much smaller he barely ever smiled and whenever he did it was major. He recently started on reflux medicine as well and I recently switched his formula so he definitely is much happier and more smiley now though I would still consider him a serious baby.
Why don't you give it a few days and see what happens with the reflux medicine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics