Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How to keep ur soup warm on Friday night?
1  2  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 11:45 pm
Any ideas how to keep ur soup warm Friday night? Anything would be helpful... TIA

baltomom

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 11:53 pm
A few possibilities:
-boil up soup in pot before Shabbos, then put the pot in the oven which was turned off shortly before Shabbos (with rest of Shabbos food). Depending on your oven, the soup might not be piping hot when you're ready to eat it
-leave pot on a blech on the stove
-put soup on a plata attached to a Shabbos clock so it turns off Friday evening after you serve the soup

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 11:57 pm
Thank you! I'm a newlywed.. And am trying to figure it out .. We tried boiling it and then putting it into the oven and it wasn't very warm when we were up to the soup Crying .
What about a blanket around the pot? Has anyone tried that? Or putting the pit in a cooler bag???

Last edited by amother on Tue, Apr 05 2016, 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 11:57 pm
We use a plata/electric hotplate.
There have been times when the weather was too hot and we use a thermos, but the soup has to simmer for a while on the stove before pouring into the thermos otherwise it won't stay hot.

picklelover

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 12:06 am
First I leave my soup on low on Friday until the last minute. (Or I'll reboil it right before shabbos so it gets very hot.) Then I cover/wrap the pot very well on all sides (including bottom) with a thick towel or blanket and its very hot, sometimes boiling hot when we're up to soup! And we usually have a late meal and I'm always surprised it is still hot.

teddyb

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 12:09 am
We put all Friday night food in our oven on warm on shabbos mode with cook time set to turn off around the same time dh gets home from maariv. My soup simmers all day Friday.

Soul on fire

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 12:29 am
I put it into the crock pot on warm before shabbos starts...I just take the crock out once we are done and leave the heated part plugged in.

thanks

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 12:56 am
I put my soup in the pressure cooker before shabbos so it boils at a very high temperature. I turn it off right before shabos, and wrap it in a towel. Stays very hot.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:15 am
amother wrote:
Thank you! I'm a newlywed.. And am trying to figure it out .. We tried boiling it and then putting it into the oven and it wasn't very warm when we were up to the soup Crying .
What about a blanket around the pot? Has anyone tried that? Or putting the pit in a cooler bag???

OP why not a plata or blech? Or my mother sometimes would out the soup on top of the urn.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 3:15 am
After bringing it to a boil right before Shabbos, we put it on the blech with 3-4 tea lights underneath. They burn out by the end of the seuda. Halachikly, you may be allowed to do this with just a sheet of foil.

pickle321

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 3:38 am
If u don't have a hot plate, you can boil right before shabbos and cover with a bunch of towels. I'm not sure but there might be a problem with wrapping it fully and covering the bottom. But just covering the top and sides keeps it hot from my experience

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 8:12 am
I bring the soup to a boil shortly before Shabbos and then put it into the oven with the chicken, which just finished roasting.

Tips for maximizing the heat:

• Timing: Time the chicken to be done — barely done, because the the chicken will still cook a bit more from the residual heat — about 10 or 15 minutes before Shabbos, and put the soup in at the same time you turn the oven off.
• The oven needs to be VERY hot. I roast chicken at 450° F so the oven is really hot.
• Cover the top of the range with a heavy towel. This helps keep in the heat.
• Put the soup bowls on top of the range to warm up.

m in Israel

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 8:35 am
Like some early posters said, I bring it to a rolling boil right before Shabbos and then cover it with towels. Unless you eat very late it should stay boiling hot. (It works fine for me despite licht bentching being 40 minutes before shkia.) Recently someone bought me as a gift one of these special blanket like covers that are meant to put on top of food on a plate so I've been using that instead of the towels.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 8:46 am
Leave on blech

GrowingUp

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 9:41 am
We have a big stone tile that was cut to fit my oven rack perfectly. I heat it up about an hour before shabbos, and add all the pans and pots inside about 20 minutes before I light. DH turns off oven right before he leaves to shul. The stone stays warm and keeps the oven and food warm.

observer

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 9:55 am
I put my oven on 200 to keep all the food warm. I set it to go off about an hour after shabbos begins. I keep getting soup on a flame till right before shabbos, then put it in the oven.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 9:58 am
pickle321 wrote:
If u don't have a hot plate, you can boil right before shabbos and cover with a bunch of towels. I'm not sure but there might be a problem with wrapping it fully and covering the bottom. But just covering the top and sides keeps it hot from my experience

I believe the covering it fully is only an issue if it is on a blech/hotplate. If it isn't on a heat source anymore, I learned it can be fully wrapped.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 10:01 am
I use a 2 qt crockpot.

STMommy

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 12:55 pm
observer wrote:
I put my oven on 200 to keep all the food warm. I set it to go off about an hour after shabbos begins. I keep getting soup on a flame till right before shabbos, then put it in the oven.

I do this too, but put the oven at 250. OP, I have taken the soup out of the oven over 30 minutes after candle lighting and the soup is still boiling!!! Make sure you put the just-boiled pot into an already-hot oven.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:13 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
I believe the covering it fully is only an issue if it is on a blech/hotplate. If it isn't on a heat source anymore, I learned it can be fully wrapped.

I remember learning it can be fully wrapped (if not on a heat source) but it cannot be buried inside substances that increase heat. I distinctly remember sand and salt being given as examples.

I cook my cholent in the kind of rectangular slow cooker that has a glass cover that can be inverted to create a flat surface. I heat up the soup right before shabbos and place it on top of the cholent lid covered in a towel. It doesn't stay very hot, but my family doesn't like piping hot food anyway so it works for us.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note