Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Any way to earn about $200 a month?
1  2  Next

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:10 am
I'm a sahm, I have kids at home with me all day. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any ways I could maybe make about $150-$200 a month? We just need a little bit more a month and I would love to be able to contribute to our income right now. If anyone has any ideas for me I would really appreciate it.

Thanks! Smile

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:25 am
I am in the same situation as you. I would like to make more than that if possible. I am thinking of buying things and selling on eBay.

Goldie613

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:28 am
Depending on how much time you have, as well as your personal interests and abilities, there are several things you could do, even with little ones under foot.

Tutoring makes decent money...you could tutor grade school or high school kids, especially with the end of year exams coming up soon after Pesach. I have no idea what the current going rate is where you live, but I've heard that if you have any teaching experience you can ask for more.

What about watching other kids while you take care of your own?

Are you handy with a needle and thread (or sewing machine)? Alterations are often needed, especially if you can alter clothes to make them tznius. Even just taking up hems or letting out waists should make some money, and you can do that while the kids nap or after they've gone to bed.

Telemarketing - this can be done from home. Sometimes tzedakah organizations or companies will look for people to call for donations. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the pay is per hour or by commission.

Do you like to write? I've heard of people making money writing articles for Jewish newspapers and magazines.

Can you get a family member to babysit on occasion, if you take a substitute teaching job a couple of times a month?

Basically, figure out the types of jobs you'd normally be ok doing, and then see how they could be done from home.

Good luck!

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:28 am
If you are good at writing, you can try product description or technical writing.

You will need training and practice, but if you are motivated you can start making money very soon.

You can make a nice income and choose how many jobs to take each month.

SRB

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:38 am
Can you watch another child or two or make a "play group"? I'm a SAHM and recently started watching a friend's child a couple times a week. It's worked out great!

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 2:50 am
As a SAHM I think babysitting is your best bet. At $10 an hour (which is on the low end of average) you only need 20 hours to make $200. That could be one day a week, or a few days on a few weeks, or a few half-days... if you know people who work part-time. Pesach is coming up, if you can handle it offer to watch kids who are home from school while their parents are working. I don't know if there's a "Pesach camp" where you live but the regular babysitters are often filled up and not able to take on the sudden influx. You could make enough in one week to give you $200 a month for the next few months. But even if you want to start after Pesach, this would be a good time to start thinking about babysitting. If you don't want to do it regularly, you could offer drop-in babysitting - sometimes when you need one from time to time it is harder than finding a steady arrangement because the regular babysitters are full. You get really stuck if, say, your babysitter is sick and can't find a replacement. Some days I need to stay late at work and need someone to get my kid from school and watch them for just a couple of hours - if your schedule is flexible like that, spread the word.

Stars

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 6:55 am
Would you have a special needs child over after school or weekends?

Kugglegirl

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 7:31 am
Taking elementary kids from after school until parents come home from work.

I always found it hard to find someone to cover this gap. If you had the kids from 1-2 families, it would cover your gap & would only be a few hours of the day.

Bruria

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 8:03 am
You could also bake something and sell, that could also work as a side income!

rgr

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 8:10 am
amother wrote:
If you are good at writing, you can try product description or technical writing.

You will need training and practice, but if you are motivated you can start making money very soon.

You can make a nice income and choose how many jobs to take each month.

How would you start something like that?

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 9:28 am
I know someone that would babysit babies and young kids whos parents either went on vacation for a week or so, or for someone that just had a baby etc...All she had to do was have one child for a week a month and she earned a couple hundred $....but you have to be the type to really devote yourself to it.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 9:38 am
These threads are so depressing to me. I can't watch other people's kids, I really can't stand kids other than my own. Tutoring doesn't work because everyone and their uncle tutors and also the hours in which it can be done are very limited, because it has to be outside of school hours which is when your own kids are home. And again, I don't like kids so much, so I can only tutor high schoolers. I do some freelance writing, but it's a lot of work for very little reward because your stuff has to be accepted in the first place...

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 9:48 am
typing at home makes money and can be done on your own schedule.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 10:55 am
Bruria wrote:
You could also bake something and sell, that could also work as a side income!

How do people do this when there are kashrus issues?

rgr

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 11:05 am
amother wrote:

I would love to do that. How do you contact people who have such jobs available? I don't see it advertised anywhere

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:04 pm
The poster who suggested writing, can you please give more details? Would love to do something like this but don't know how to go about it.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:43 pm
amother wrote:

Even if you are a super quick typist it's not a job that pays nicely at all. My friend asked me to type for her once: I believe the going rate was 1.70 per 1,000 characters. I think it ended up about 12-15 per hour. You would need to type for many hours risking carpal tunnel in order to reach $200

kollel wife

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 1:55 pm
Can you work when DH is home? Evenings? Like in a clothing store with evening hours or in the mikva?

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
The poster who suggested writing, can you please give more details? Would love to do something like this but don't know how to go about it.

I don't know realistic this is to break into. Honestly, I doubt you will find something you love that makes $200 a month from home unless you have some sort of special talent ( can translate, sew, teach piano etc). I think your best bet is finding someone who needs data entry and having them pay you hourly and trying to fit some hours in each week. Post around that you are looking for a data entry job- do you know anyone in billing companies, doctors practices, someone in merchandising?

Faigy86

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 4:15 pm
I've seen a website where people outsource small jobs to the lowest bidder. Can't find it right now, but maybe someone else will be able to link to it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers