Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Does it pay to be a seamstress?

moramom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 5:23 pm
I have been sewing for my family for 20 years,I want to do alterations fo income but don't see how it is worthwhile.Any seamstresses here that are willing to answeer some questions? Its a big chessed!

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 5:35 pm
Do you mean quitting a job to become a seamstriss or are you home anyway. If ur home anyway how is it not worthwhile, you already have the machine so basically any sewing job you get is straight profit.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 5:35 pm
just going to give my two sense. I live in lakewood. its extremely hard to find decent seamstresses. to say the least its frustrating. if you live here please please go for it as a lot of chasidishe people are moving in here and are looking for seamstresses. so many I spoke to about it are struggling.

we all figure something out but its super tough. there are some I wont mention that are mighty expensive. so with the influx of brooklyners coming its sure to be a good idea. if you dont live here then anyone thinking of this will know our frustration. thanks.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 5:38 pm
Yes I live in Lakewood and all I was told is that no good seamstress are taking any more clothes for pesach. I'm first doing my shopping now. I don't know I guess u have to shop before Purim to have time for your clothes to be fixed.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 7:18 pm
My sil is a seamstress in Lakewood with a booming business who turns people away once she's full (and she has a couple people working for her)

If you live in a large jewish area its for sure lucrative. And if not it's still likely to be soen income even if your not always busy.

moramom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 1:47 pm
firstly, I LOVE IMAMOTHER! Thank you everyone for taking the time of day to comment,it is sooo important to have a place to share ideas and thoughts and get great constructive advice!
What I cant figure out is:mending takes time and it doesn't seem worthwhile to spend about an hour on a hem and then charge 12-18 dollars-the profit is so small
Also people tend to get very picky with seamstresses and spend a ton of time fitting
I do live in lkwd and currently am not working otherwise,
I am willing to start small but what are the growth potentials-meaning how do I develop this into something bigger than hems and zippers....

moramom

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 1:48 pm
and burgundy,you can pm me about your alterations

oliveoil

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 3:07 pm
If it takes you an hour to do a hem, it's probably not the right business for you

moramom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 5:45 pm
How much have you paid for alterations and do you think its a fair price? Hem skirt,pants,add panel on skirt for length..

cnc

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 6:08 pm
I pay between $10-12 for a skirt hem. $15 if it's flairy
$6-8 for pants.

I think $15-20 for a panel, but I'm not 1000% sure because the last time I did that was a while ago.

I think the prices are fair, but if it takes you an hour to do a skirt hem I can't see it being it very worthwhile for you.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 12:45 am
It's worth it just for the tiny fixes that take a couple minutes that you get a few dollars for. I sometimes get a whole bag of those.
Most is shortening and lengthening pants and skirts.
Learn bra alterations for more good business.
Make sure you have all the little tools that make it easier and faster. I never realized the value of a bodkin until I got one!

sourstix

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 3:00 am
What's a badkin?

Iymnok

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 3:30 am
A cute little tool used to thread cord or elastic through a channel for a waistband or drawstring.

kollel wife

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 9:04 am
I sew but not well. Can't you buy a machine with a hidden hem stitch?? I do all my hems by hand except robes, nightgowns.

I think if you're good, you can do very well. You have to advertise - maybe even on 107.9, but places where you'll be heard and seen to get started.

Do you know how to alter - by that I mean pin on the person to get the correct fit? That's a very important skill.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 9:09 am
personally I think it's a nice sidekick ... but being seamstress not in & of itself will bring in sufficient income

Water Stones

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 10:32 am
I do seamstress sewing to get extra money but it can not make a lot, just for some little extra clothes for my baby or manicure money and car gas money.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 11:26 am
greenfire wrote:
personally I think it's a nice sidekick ... but being seamstress not in & of itself will bring in sufficient income

I mentioned my sil above. She has a booming business in lakewood, with 2 people working for her and supports her family (husband in kollel) but she does everything-from easy hems to designing and sewing gowns.

If she lived oot she probably wouldn't be able to live on her business tho. But in some locations.... It works.

cnc

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
I mentioned my sil above. She has a booming business in lakewood, with 2 people working for her and supports her family (husband in kollel) but she does everything-from easy hems to designing and sewing gowns.

If she lived oot she probably wouldn't be able to live on her business tho. But in some locations.... It works.

There are some tailoring businesses like that where I live but they are very expensive and I only use then for complicated things - not simple hems.

There's a dressmaker that has a whole staff working for her but she charges $20 for the things that my tailor charges $5 for.
She is known for her excellent fit though, so I will use her to alter a blazer or expensive dress etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers