Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dr. Gindi, allergist, Brooklyn- so frustrated!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 8:56 pm
I finally got around to scheduling an appointment with Dr. Gindi for my two children, and we saw him today. Our appointment was at ten, but he only came into our room at about 12! It's Erev Shabbos, Erev Pesach, my house is flying, I have so much to do...I'm not sure if I'm more frustrated at myself for going to a non-urgent appointment shortly before Pesach, or at him for giving us such a stressful visit. He then convinced us to purchase expensive creams for a skincare regimen that he thinks would be beneficial for my daughter's eczema and claims that the creams are only available for purchase through him. Does he try to scam all his patients like that, or is he really sincere? So we finally got out at about 1, I took my kids for lunch at a nearby pizza shop, and then took a car service back to BP, dropping my kids off at school, and having the car service drive me further to the supermarket to do my weekly shopping. I only arrived at the supermarket at 2:00. So the entire ordeal was from 9:30, when we left BP, until 2. I rushed my shopping so I could get home shortly after 3 for my first bus, ate lunch, put supper in the oven, and collapsed. Dr. Gindi would like us to come back soon for high dosage testing soon, but after the day I had, I can't see myself doing this again for a long time. Are the visits normally this way? Is he just looking for my money (for those creams)? Is he really a good doctor? Please reassure, guide, and advise me.

Eta: forgot to say, to add to my frustration, when I got home I saw a missed call on my caller ID from a pharmacy with a similar name to the pharmacy where I asked them to send the prescription. Seems like they sent the prescription to the wrong pharmacy! (The only item that is covered by insurance- the rest, $73, was paid by me!)

livinginisrael

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 9:34 pm
Never used him but I've used dr Norman Klein for my sons allergies and eczema and am very happy

double u

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 9:37 pm
I use dr Klein too. Such a nice guy. I recommend him to anyone that needs an allergist

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 9:44 pm
Does Dr. Klein accept United Healthcare Community Plan? What's his contact info?

cnc

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 9:56 pm
I know many people that have been successful with Dr. Gindi after trying many others....

gilamom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2016, 9:58 pm
I used Dr. Klein too, aren't they even in the same building? Anyway, it was three years ago I took my son to see him and he took United Healthcare, not the fanciest office but the nicest guy and very helpful.

Shira9

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 8:44 am
OP sorry you had a frustrating day! As someone who's been with Dr. Gindi for several years I can reassure you that he is an amazing dr for treating eczema, allergies, asthma, etc. The standard wait time is very long and I know to leave several hours per visit. That said, I can tell you I've tried other doctors and scores of other creams but his really work and work well. (And no, there is no cortisone in there). You only need to use a drop at a time so it actually comes out cheaper than many others out there. Though we get them for my daughter my husband and I both use them in the winter for ourselves for chapped hands, etc. I've recommended him to lots of ppl over the years and they all thank me! I can add lots more but rambled enough...feel free to pm me for more info

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 9:27 am
I took my son to dr. Gindi a few years ago when he had severe eczema, I had the same experience as you regarding the wait time. In my opinion, in addition to being rude and condescending I think he's also fraudulent. firstly if the cream you are talking about is elta md, I found it on lovelyskin.com for much cheaper. Secondly we did find after the testing that my son was allergic to some food, but they get their money from the allergy shots that they give which is only for the seasonal allergies like grass, pollen... And that test came up negative at first so he repeated it with a higher dosage and that showed up positive. He convinced us to do weekly shots on my 10 year old even though we told him that his symptoms didn't change during allergy season. He even mentioned that they would charge the insurance company weekly even if I didn't show up for the shots every week.
In the end I couldn't bring myself to put my son through years of these shots when they only helped for seasonal allergies and the reason he had the eczema in the first place was because of the food allergies.
Our regular pediatrician recommended a Chinese herbalist in queens that she had heard about from a lot of her patients we went to her and she gave a tea that he drank daily and his eczema cleared up almost immediately, he was able to finally sleep through the night. Now two years later he hardly needs the tea at all. His eczema is pretty much gone.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 9:51 am
I also went to dr. gindi a few years ago with my son. I dont use him anymore. The wait was long and his main thing was pushing his products. I know someone else that went there told me she spent a lot of $ on products....I switched to dr herzog from nyu.

Daniellast

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 10:00 am
I used Dr Gindi a couple years ago. I was recommended there by my pediatrician and some friends. Yes! The wait time is ridiculously long. I found him to have an attitude. My daughter had asthma. He recommended sprays and meds which weren't covered by insurance. The monthly bills we're a fortune. B"h she cleared off super quickly. Although he recommended I change to some other expensive meds. I never returned to him. B"h, today her asthma is gone. She does have occasional seasonal allergies which my reg pediatrician treats. Dr gindi is great at diagnosing and treating but his attitude drives people away. I haven't recommended him further.

Shira9

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
I took my son to dr. Gindi a few years ago when he had severe eczema, I had the same experience as you regarding the wait time. In my opinion, in addition to being rude and condescending I think he's also fraudulent. firstly if the cream you are talking about is elta md, I found it on lovelyskin.com for much cheaper. Secondly we did find after the testing that my son was allergic to some food, but they get their money from the allergy shots that they give which is only for the seasonal allergies like grass, pollen... And that test came up negative at first so he repeated it with a higher dosage and that showed up positive. He convinced us to do weekly shots on my 10 year old even though we told him that his symptoms didn't change during allergy season. He even mentioned that they would charge the insurance company weekly even if I didn't show up for the shots every week.
In the end I couldn't bring myself to put my son through years of these shots when they only helped for seasonal allergies and the reason he had the eczema in the first place was because of the food allergies.
Our regular pediatrician recommended a Chinese herbalist in queens that she had heard about from a lot of her patients we went to her and she gave a tea that he drank daily and his eczema cleared up almost immediately, he was able to finally sleep through the night. Now two years later he hardly needs the tea at all. His eczema is pretty much gone.

I find it very interesting that you say he would charge the insurance even if you didn't show up for the weekly shots since they now allow you to pick up the vials from them and receive the weekly shots at your pediatrician (assuming your pediatrician agrees to administer them). In this scenario they can't charge the insurance for your weekly visits so they aren't making $ off you weekly. As someone else stated, Dr. Gindi is a great diagnostician. Yes, he appears cold and moves fast (not the greatest bedside manners) and his staff can be that way too at times. I chalk it up to the fact that they're working long hours non-stop and make sure to be extra friendly to them. At this point I am on great terms with all staff members and get a big hello when walking in. In any case, can you pls provide the info for the Chinese herbalist. I'm always open to new ideas...

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 12:08 pm
I can't speak to what is being done today, if or how he's changed his practices. All I know is that when I was there they handed me an insurance form to sign while clearly stating that they would bill the insurance company weekly whether or not we show up.
I'm not sure if the Chinese herbalist is still accepting new patients since I know she had plans to semi retire last year, but anyone can try their luck I guess.
Her name and number are:
Dr. Shan
718-359-8297

return2You

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:

Would you mind sharing the name of the herbalist? Does the tea taste bad? My son won't touch it if it does

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 8:51 pm
My baby scratches himself non-stop until he bleeds. My general pediatrician said it’s slight eczema and keep moisturizing. Is it worth a trip to dr gindi?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jun 28 2020, 11:10 pm
It’s worth testing for allergies if he’s scratching so much to bleed. My baby had very bad eczema and found out he was allergic to A lot of things . I never used dr Gindi so can’t tell u.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics