Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Undercharged and going back to pay for it
1  2  Next

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 10:56 am
Do you go back to a store that undercharged you by mistake? Does it make a difference if it's a jewish owner? Does it make a difference how much it was? What would you do if it was far away and can't go? What do you do when the say they didn't?

cm

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
Do you go back to a store that undercharged you by mistake? Does it make a difference if it's a jewish owner? Does it make a difference how much it was? What would you do if it was far away and can't go? What do you do when the say they didn't?

1. Yes, I would go back if at all possible.

2. Doesn't matter who the owner is.

3. If it were a few pennies, I might not try as hard. An inexpensive item that was overlooked on checkout - yes, I would try to pay.

4. If too far - I have never been in this situation, but you can usually pay by phone.

5. If they say you didn't underpay and you made your best effort to pay your share, then you have done your part.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 11:02 am
A yid must be repaid, if far away, offer him to charge your credit card or mail a check. If he says he didn't undercharge, ask him to be verbally mochel if he did.

otherwise ask a rabbi, could be ta'us akum would apply. could be not, so ask.

scrltfr

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
A yid must be repaid, if far away, offer him to charge your credit card or mail a check. If he says he didn't undercharge, ask him to be verbally mochel if he did.

otherwise ask a rabbi, could be ta'us akum would apply. could be not, so ask.

Only a yid Seriously?

Op, please see cm's response and disregard this one.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 11:35 am
The Halacha is that a Jew you have to pay. You are not required to pay if a non Jew makes a mistake. But it's a kiddush Hashem if you do.

sequoia

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 11:55 am
There are no "akum" these days, period. Know any star worshippers? Yeah, me neither.

doctorima

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 12:06 pm
Aku"m is a borrowed term and refers to non-Jews, whether they are idolators or star worshippers or not. The halacha is clear that there is a difference beteween a Jew and a non-Jew who make such a mistake. Whether you want to go above and beyond to give back to the non-Jew, especially to make a Kiddush Hashem, is certainly your prerogative.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 12:19 pm
if I'm charged a higher price for a sale item I go back - yes I have been charged a lower price for a non-sale item and have gone back too ~ seems logical

don't usually inquire as to the status of their bris milah Rolling Eyes

sky

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 12:33 pm
1. I would go back.
2. I believe according to halacha you only MUST go back for a Jew. But I was told the potential for a kiddush Hashem when returning to non-Jew is so great that you must go back then as well.
3. I was also told that when doing it at a Jewish or non-Jewish store I should try to protect the employee that undercharged me so it should not jeopardize his job. He recommended not bringing in the receipt so they shouldn't know who made the mistake but just tell them the numbers.
4. If far away you can call. (I shop at a store that delivers and when they make a mistake I just call and we settle the account over the phone). If the cost of going back is more then the mistake then you may not be obligated - like gas will cost more then the difference (but I'm not sure about that).

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 1:04 pm
scrltfr wrote:

I'm not asking what I should do. I'm asking what most people do?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 1:15 pm
Sure I have done it before. Once I went to a fast-food type restaurant and was given a soda I did not pay for, but thought I did. The next time I went I told them that last time I was accidentally given a soda I didn't pay for and to please charge me for it. They said not to worry and I said thanks for the soda.

It would not matter to me if the owner was Jewish or not. I have gone back in supermarkets as well if I accidentally stole something to pay for it probably other stores too I just can't remember.

As far as being undercharged, if I see it I will go back. I don't normally look at my receipt after the fact so if I don't catch it at the register I probably won't see it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 1:20 pm
Sure I've done it, for non-Jews as well as Jews. It's halacha if the store is Jewish and a Kiddush Hashem if not. It's the right thing to do either way.

observer

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 1:51 pm
scrltfr wrote:
Only a yid Seriously?

Yes, halachically only a Jew. Sorry, halacha isn't politically correct. But it's halacha so no disregarding done here.

It is a huge kiddush Hashem to pay a non-Jew if you underpaid, so we make every effort to do so.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 1:58 pm
About a month ago, I went somewhere an hour away and ended up stopping in a store nearby to do some shopping. After I got home, I unpacked the bag and realized that the cashier had accidentally put an item into the bag that wasn't in my cart and was never paid for. I asked a Rav who said that while it would be a Kiddush Hashem, I am certainly not obligated to return it. I probably would have made the trip back had it been something I actually wanted or cost more than a few dollars.

In the past, I have made an effort to go back and the cashiers are impressed.

As far as calling in to pay, It only makes a Kiddush Hashem if you have an obviously Jewish sounding name.

watergirl

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:14 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Sure I've done it, for non-Jews as well as Jews. It's halacha if the store is Jewish and a Kiddush Hashem if not. It's the right thing to do either way.

This. I once got home from Target and found a box of straws and a package of pacifiers that for some reason I didnt pay for - I put them in the shopping cart but they weren't on the receipt. I called Target and told her that I had my credit card and could I pay over the phone - the lady was shocked at my honesty and told me that I dont have to pay.

tichellady

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:18 pm
My time is money. Why should I have To spend my time and money for their mistake? I would call and take care of over the phone.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:41 pm
One thing no one is mentioning here is the chinuch aspect. I'll never forget my mother announcing she had to return something they didn't charge for when I was somewhere between the ages of eight and eleven. My parents' modeling was the best education for me that we are honest people.

observer

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 2:56 pm
I once placed an order at oshkosh online and received with it an extra little girl's skirt that I didn't order and wasn't charged for. I called up and the customer service representative kept sputtering "But if it's not on your invoice, you can't return it" and was not quite sure how to deal with it!

Last edited by observer on Fri, Apr 08 2016, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 3:05 pm
observer wrote:
I once placed an order at oshkosh.com and received with it an extra little girl's skirt that I didn't order and wasn't charged for. I called up and the customer service representative kept sputtering "But if it's not on your invoice, you can't return it" and was not quite sure how to deal with it!

I had that once. Received two extra t-shirts in a Children's Place order. I thought I was making a kiddush Hashem when I returned them, but the saleswoman got mad at me because she couldn't figure out how to process it! Oh well.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 08 2016, 5:33 pm
observer wrote:
I once placed an order at oshkosh online and received with it an extra little girl's skirt that I didn't order and wasn't charged for. I called up and the customer service representative kept sputtering "But if it's not on your invoice, you can't return it" and was not quite sure how to deal with it!

I have this problem now with a necklace from macys! I ordered it, it never came so I called and had the order cancelled and refunded. A long time after it was expected it just showed up at my door. I can't return it in the store because when they scan the receipt it already says that the item was returned. Calling customer service hasn't gotten me anywhere either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette