Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Blood spots

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 7:59 am
When using eggs and you come across a blood spot do you throw away the whole egg or remove the spot and if you remove the spot how do you do it?
I find the eggs really slippery and as a result is really hard to remove the spots without making a mess.

Also do you check hard boiled eggs?

Extra points for sources Wink

I'm anon cuz I'm embarrassed that I don't know how to do this without mess.

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 8:55 am
https://oukosher.org/blog/kosh.....pots/

I think this explains it well. Even though blood spots are generally not a problem these days, we are still required to check and we throw out the whole egg, not just take out the spot. Bedieved if the eggs are already mixed with other eggs we could take out the spot if we still see it

We don't check hard boiled, but I believe many people boil an odd number, at least three at a time, I think so that if there is a problematic egg it would be the minority.

If you're not sure and you don't have a Rav to ask, you can always call a kashrus company that you trust to ask what to do. Hope that helps.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 8:56 am
I toss the whole egg. When boiling eggs, some people have a minhag to do at least three in case one has a blood spot, it would be battel b'shishim.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 10:26 am
Iymnok wrote:
I toss the whole egg. When boiling eggs, some people have a minhag to do at least three in case one has a blood spot, it would be battel b'shishim.

It seems to me that what we have here is bitul b'rov, not b'shishim.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 7:16 pm
Thank you for the replies. I believe some poskim hold that you can remove the blood though. Am really struggling to do without making a mess.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 7:19 pm
I find the organic eggs from Costco always have blood spots so I stopped using them.

TeachersNotebook

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 12:17 am
I remember specifically learning in HS (a bais yaakov) that you can just remove the spot and keep the egg. I remember it so well because in my house, we always had to break the egg into a separate clear bowl and check it before using it. In Dinim class, the rabbi said it was perfectly fine to check the egg by cracking it over whatever bowl/pan you're using and pouring it between the shells before you let it all go. It was fine because even if you found a blood spot in the part that was in your hands, the part that already fell through was still good to eat. And I raised my hand and had to clarify this for certain, because I knew my mother definitely didn't hold that way! Smile So yes, you can just separate the spot and keep the egg.

I don't think there's any way to do it without making a mess. If you need an intact yolk, don't even bother- just throw out the whole thing and start again. It could be that checking your eggs in the manner I mentioned above may help, because you may catch the spot in time while it's still in the shell, and you can just throw that part away.

There's no need to check hard boiled eggs, and I've never met anyone who does.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen