Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
My chicken soup keeps flopping!!!
1  2  Next

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:29 am
Desperate for advice for my poor chicken soup. Since I had a baby 4 months ago it just doesn't come out good anymore- in fact its so gross I throw out every week!

Since its only myself and DH, I don't use a large stockpot, just the 5qt soup pot that came with my 12 piece pots and pans set. I usually put a whole piece of chicken (breast and leg) in cold water and boil for a few hours on low. Then I skim the fat, strain the soup, add veggies (onion, carrots, celery, zucchini...) some salt, cook another hour or two and BLECH! Broth tastes nasty! Sad I've tried adding extra water so it's not so concentrated.. tried doing veggies and chicken at same time.. nothing works!

Please help! Chicken soup is my favorite part of the seuda and was one of the few things I used to be able to make without stress!

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:38 am
Firstly, use bones too. They give lots of flavors and cook it with the veggies for at least 3-4 hours.

So basically, cook up chicken and bones until it starts boiling (20-30 minutes ).
Add veggies, salt and pepper (soup mix optional) and cook for another 3 to 4 hours on a very low flame.

mille

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:39 am
What is nasty about it? Like what is the taste you dislike?

I think it's pretty atypical to make your chicken soup with just chicken and water. Are you using enough chicken? I would also add celery, onions, and carrots from the get-go, and probably fresh dill as well. If you don't want the mushy vegetables, you can always throw them out and then add new vegetables later. Try following an actual recipe to the T, and see how it comes out.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
Desperate for advice for my poor chicken soup. Since I had a baby 4 months ago it just doesn't come out good anymore- in fact its so gross I throw out every week!

Since its only myself and DH, I don't use a large stockpot, just the 5qt soup pot that came with my 12 piece pots and pans set. I usually put a whole piece of chicken (breast and leg) in cold water and boil for a few hours on low. Then I skim the fat, strain the soup, add veggies (onion, carrots, celery, zucchini...) some salt, cook another hour or two and BLECH! Broth tastes nasty! Sad I've tried adding extra water so it's not so concentrated.. tried doing veggies and chicken at same time.. nothing works!

Please help! Chicken soup is my favorite part of the seuda and was one of the few things I used to be able to make without stress!

Put in 2-3 chicken quarters for a 5 quart pot along with 1/2 a head of peeled and halved garlic cloves during your first part of cooking.
And some fresh sprigs of dill to the second part with the vegetables.
Mazel Tov!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:45 am
It comes out very cloudy and the flavor is oily/overwhelmingly chicken-y.

I could try more chicken but just nervous it will magnify this already undesirable result. Should I be skinning the chicken before putting in?

tymama

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:45 am
I add a piece of meat to give it a good flavor. Meat becomes rubbery so just throw it out when your serve the soup
I put all veggis we don't like with chicken and meat in the mesh bag and throw all out when done. Broth is clear and tasty
To me, key is enough salt and pepper

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:47 am
amother wrote:
It comes out very cloudy and the flavor is oily/overwhelmingly chicken-y.

I could try more chicken but just nervous it will magnify this already undesirable result. Should I be skinning the chicken before putting in?

Yes absolutely. I always skin and clean the chicken very well before making chicken soup. And it also sounds like you need fresh dill.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:56 am
You definitely do not need to skin the chicken first. Leaving the skin on will give it more flavor. I'd suggest the following changes in your routine: first, put the chicken (make sure to use enough_ in with the water, bring it all to a boil and then skim it well (not after hours of cooking). Then add the veggies, low fire to a bare simmer and cook for at least 3-4 hours more). Remove everything, strain it. Then, refrigerate it overnight and remove the accumulated fat at the top.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 12:25 pm
Boil up 2 quarts water,when boiling put in a few fresh chicken bones. Just Bones..
After 15 minutes skum off white froth , then put in celery salt, onions, carrots, parsnip
After another ten minutes fuyrn down to low and simmer another hour
Always comes out perfecr

fiji

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:18 pm
Buy One of the premade soup vegetable packages from any kosher grocery store. Add chicken bones. Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer for about two hours. Easy and delicious.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:

Disclaimer: I haven't read through the thread yet.

I also make soup in the pot that comes with the set. I put in water and boil it. Then I put in a leg quarter, a package of necks, a package of pupiks, a small onion, a small (or part of a) sweet potato, a small (or part of a) zucchini and yellow squash, a turnip, and a parsnip. I don't put any spices, and I don't boil the water after I put the stuff in. I let it cook for a long time.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:31 pm
When do you buy the chicken? Does it smell fresh? Do you rinse it? (I think 'they' say not to, but my mother always rinsed the chicken in hot water so I can't not. My grandmother called it "breeing it up".)

youngishbear

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:32 pm
My chicken soup recipe: (in large pot)

2 large squash
4 carrots
1 parsley
2 small sweet potato
Optional: parsnip, knob celery, celery
Salt
Water

I heat it on low until bubbles up. Then I add:
4 chicken bottoms (that's what my family eats).

And I leave on low for 4-5 hours.

Soup can get cloudy if you cook it on high.

I have enough for several weeks. Freezes and reheats well.

The veggies don't get wasted either.

I blend or mush the veggies for my baby (or nieces/nephews). If there are no underage takers I make patties out of them (add a mashed potato, a filler like bread/cornflakes crumbs, some flavoring, shape into patties, spray with oil and bake).

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:35 pm
Do you add salt?
I found that 1-2t make the difference.

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:43 pm
I use 5 chicken bones
Morrow bone
Chicken neck
Carrots
Onion
Garlic
Celery
Parsnips
Zucchini
Sweet potato
Louf. A long onion thing
Salt pepper onion powder garlic powder parsley curry dill

I cook it all together and put the vegs I dont want in a bag. Cook it for 2 hrs. Or you Can first fry the onion and garlic.

WastingTime

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 2:04 pm
I never used chicken breast, only bottoms. Then again if you were always doing that , not sure what changed.
Sounds like a normal way to make soup. Do you keep uncovered before skimming, that can make a difference. I uncover and boil just the chicken, skim, add veg, cover and simmer.
Can it be too much chicken?Maybe just make a big pot and freeze
Sounds very frustrating! !!
Hatzlacha!

Miri1

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 6:03 pm
Add more garlic.
And celery or celery seed.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 6:25 pm
hmmmm,,,,
OP, Do you put your chicken soup on The blech?

This is what is destroying the soup.

The only some what successful chicken soup overnight I had for a Shabbos day meal was in a crock pot, skinned with onion, carrots, celery and bullion.
Otherwise, with the skin on the fat gets really slimy and murky.

rachelbg

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 6:47 pm
I saute onion and garlic in a pot, add the veggies (and lentils sometimes) as it's still on the flame 'sweating,' then add my raw chicken on top. Fill with water to cover chicken, salt and pepper, then boil for a few hours. Mmmmmm. You can add basil and parsley too if you want.
Then reboil before Shabbos. Second time around is great.

funmother

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 9:16 pm
Koloroby is good in soup
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen