Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
5 Week Old Sleeping Patterns

ShirleyTemple

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 11:45 am
My 5 week old goes from sleeping to eating and back to sleep during the daytime. He does have short intervals of awake time too.

But comes nighttime, when I want him to eat and sleep he will just stare at me with eyes wide open! If he does fall asleep in my hands, he'll be awake the minute I put him down, unlike during the day when he'll continue to sleep.

The only solution I found is to nurse him asleep and then let him stay in my bed. Im not for cosleeping and dont have a big bed so needless to say, I don't get the rest I need because 1)im curled up at the corner of my bed and 2) im partially conscious not to hurt my baby ch'v. (No bashing please. Its not my ideal situation, obviously. )

So question is how and is it possible to revert those sleeping habits???

esther11

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:10 pm
I had a similar situation with my daughter when she was like 4-10 weeks old. She was awake literally from 11pm-6am straight wanting to play, while she would sleep and eat all day. What I did that worked after some time was make sure during the day to not let her sleep more that 3 hours straight and try to give her a lot of stimulation during the day, especially in the evening/earlier in the night to keep her up.
Good luck!!

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 1:48 pm
Nursing him to sleep is one thing, but if you don't want to cosleep, then why don't you put baby in her crib after she falls asleep?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Apr 10 2016, 2:01 pm
I wouldn't worry about establishing any habits you can't live with until the baby is at least 3 months. Just do what works now, and worry about getting things more settled later. 5 weeks is still very young and you can't spoil them that young IMHO, so just do what works for you now...worry about setting more boundaries, etc. later.

ShirleyTemple

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:12 am
pesek zman wrote:
Nursing him to sleep is one thing, but if you don't want to cosleep, then why don't you put baby in her crib after she falls asleep?

He'll wake up again.

It's just too funny. I just nursed him and put him down. He was asleep instantly. Last night, despite my wheeling him in the carriage, rocking his bassinet etc., he was up and alert!!

sky

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 12:29 pm
My baby is now 7 weeks and at 6 weeks started similar pattern. She sleeps wonderfully by day but starting in the late afternoon she just wants to nurse and be held until about 12. If I put her down she screams. I'm not sure there is anything to do about it.
I don't let her sleep longer then 3 hours by day (not that she really does, but I watch the clock).
Last night I had to finish some cleaning tasks and I was using the vacuum cleaner so when it was on she was happy so I just left it on and she let me put her down for 1/2 hour - or when I take a shower, she will sit in the bathroom with me and be quiet, loves the noise. But otherwise I really have to hold her late afternoon.

fbc

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 3:24 pm
Same here! Baby 7 wks ka"h. She wool sleep for 3 hrs when at the babysitter, she comes home and is awake the rest of the day basically. Sometimes calm, sometimes totally not;) at night she will only sleep in my husband's bed. I'm also not for cosleeping...but this is three only thing that works for now! Cuz the second you put her in her bassinet or bouncer, boom she's wide awake (even if she sleep peacefully in my arms for 10 minutes before that!!)

mille

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 6:45 pm
Also mother of a little bitty infant - they are too new to know what they want at this stage! It's frustrating but totally normal! There are no real 'sleeping patterns' or 'schedule', I think!

I am very blessed that my little one is generally good at nights. She sleeps a lot and is generally easy to put down at night (don't get me started on days, though!). But my understanding is at this point, we are just basically in survival mode. Doing whatever we can to care for the little one and getting as much sleep as humanly possible.

The Mayo Clinic Guide to Baby's First Year also says that crying peaks around 6 weeks. So this could just be totally normal, amping up the crying and then soon it will decrease and things get easier. Hang in there!

Henya

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:04 pm
Have you heard of the fourth trimester? Babies are used to their mothers scent & being close to them. It makes sense that your baby is happier , nursing near you in your bed. It lasts such a short time. Treasure it Very Happy
http://www.bellybelly.com.au/b.....ster/

Last edited by Henya on Tue, Apr 12 2016, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 4:20 am
SWADDLE!
The Happiest Baby on the Block is a great method for this stage.
His theory is the 5 S's. A combination of all five is best. If your baby doesn't seem to like the swaddle, just keep at it for a few days.
Swaddle
Swing/Sway
Shhhhhh (white noise)
Side/stomach laying
Sucking

mille

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 1:56 pm
Iymnok wrote:
SWADDLE!
The Happiest Baby on the Block is a great method for this stage.
His theory is the 5 S's. A combination of all five is best. If your baby doesn't seem to like the swaddle, just keep at it for a few days.
Swaddle
Swing/Sway
Shhhhhh (white noise)
Side/stomach laying
Sucking

I just want to add to this - my baby hates getting swaddled. She generally always kicks and cries and hates it! But once I finish the swaddle, instant calm! I made the mistake a couple weeks ago of thinking she didn't want to be swaddled anymore because she'd always cry. So I didn't swaddle... and we had a few very crappy nights of sleep! Once I started the swaddle again, she sleeps so well.

I agree that a combo of the above generally does the trick. I also add darkness to the list (I know it's not an S Tongue Out), because she seems to do better in a darkened room. I think it's because she is super fascinated by lights, so if it's light in the room she'll just stare at the light or window and not sleep.

I use velcro swaddles because it's super easy. She breaks free if I try to use a blanket to swaddle. Summer Infant Swaddlemes are great!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics