Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you skin the chicken before putting into your soup??
Previous  1  2  3  Next

observer

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 11:57 am
I skin the chicken first. Soup comes out delicious and rich, just without the extra fat.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 12:18 pm
yes. No one misses it.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 2:22 pm
No way, that's where all the flavor is!

I roast the outside of the chicken on high heat until the skin is golden, and then put it in the soup. After the soup is all done I refrigerate it and skim off the extra fat and save it for frying onions.

brooklyn11211

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 2:32 pm
I skin it

Tiredmom7

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 2:35 pm
I always skin the chicken

wiki

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 2:49 pm
It really depends on how many pieces of chicken I'm putting in the soup. If it's just a few wings, necks and/or backs, I keep the skin on and remove it all before Shabbos. If I'm putting in some "real meat" pieces, then no skin.

If I ever made with all or most of a chicken, for sure I would leave out the skin. I've never done that before, though.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 2:50 pm
I never skin the chicken, but I always make the soup at least a day in advance so that it can be refrigerated overnight for the fat to congeal and be removed.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 3:09 pm
Nope
I always thought that's what makes my soup come out nice and golden(as long as there's enough chicken) but maybe I'm wrong!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:10 pm
Like BB, FF, and nylon (and maybe some others I forgot), I leave the skin on, put the soup in the refrigerator to cool, and then remove the hardened fat that rises to the top.

I agree with WastingTime that the skin contributes to that beautiful golden color that my soup has. Also, talking about wasting time, it would add an extra step to cooking chicken soup, and would slow me down. I can't afford that lost time when I'm cooking for Shabbat!

sequoia

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:25 pm
No. Fat is good.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:33 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Like BB, FF, and nylon (and maybe some others I forgot), I leave the skin on, put the soup in the refrigerator to cool, and then remove the hardened fat that rises to the top.

I agree with WastingTime that the skin contributes to that beautiful golden color that my soup has. Also, talking about wasting time, it would add an extra step to cooking chicken soup, and would slow me down. I can't afford that lost time when I'm cooking for Shabbat!

funny leaving it cool & skimming it sounds like an extra step

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:39 pm
greenfire wrote:

If I don't have time and I can't cool plus skim, I can still serve it. I actually like the taste that way too.

And the actual hands on time is very small. I can do a million other things when the soup is cooling. The taking off the fat once it is congealed takes a few seconds. Taking the skin off chicken would take me a lot longer.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 4:58 pm
greenfire wrote:

It tastes better that way. And that extra step is much easier than skinning the chicken and constantly skimming the soup and trying to get all of the fat out of it.

anotherima

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 5:00 pm
I use chicken bones in a net bag to make my chicken soup. I skim the fat after the soup has cooled and been in the fridge overnight.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 5:02 pm
guess I prefer a more lean soup ... mine never has fat atop no extra separating

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 5:15 pm
I skin. There is plenty of fat left on the chicken for flavor unless you are using boneless skinless breasts.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 6:36 pm
I use skinless, I don't like the soup to be too fatty. I have to admit that I cheat by buying skinless chicken pieces from the butcher.

cali613

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 8:05 pm
Yupp

eschaya

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 3:08 am
I cook it with the skin (though in a cheesecloth so no skin or other particle gets in the soup) but then I chill it overnight and skim off the fat. This way I get maximum flavor without the fat.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 3:59 am
Another overnight, skin-on skimmer here.
Though I'm going to try what Lymnok does.
My sister does that too and is very happy with the results.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen