Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Toying with the idea of starting to babysit

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 8:43 pm
I never thought I'd want to babysit in my home but I've seen so many women in my area looking for babysitters that I'm starting to consider it. I have a few kids of my own, so, I have experience with babies. I'd get certified for CPR etc. Anything else I'd need to do? Would ppl be willing to pay more if I limited number of babies to 2?

cm

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 8:49 pm
Find out what the regulations are (if any) in your state for licensed home day care.

cm

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 8:56 pm
Also, assuming you are planning to work "above-board," you will need a business license and insurance. You can find out from your local municipality what the rules are for home-based businesses in your community.

Shira9

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 9:05 pm
I don't know about others but I'd be willing to pay more if limited # of babies to 2. I've had that arrangement in the past and though the sitter didn't charge more, I would've paid it without a question.

gold21

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 9:39 pm
Most babysitters working in their home take cash.
If you keep the group very small, u can charge a bit more.
Youll need space, toys, baby accessories, and good references. Beyond that, you'll need to baby-proof your home, set hours, and advertise your services.
Good Luck!

amother
Green

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:28 pm
Anonymous, since people might figure out who I am.

I run a state licensed (MA) family child care out of my home. First piece of advice I have, is that if you're planning to do this, please look up your state regulations and get licensed if necessary. If something ever happens with a child you're watching, chas v'shalom, this would offer you protections. You could also charge more for your services.

A good place to start is the following website:
http://childcareaware.org/chil.....nsing

MA has one of the toughest family child care requirements. I had to go through two trainnings before I got licensed (a two hour and six hour one) plus CPR/first aid certification.
On top of that there were a bunch of online trainnings-safe sleep for infants, medication administration, nutrition, etc. House had to be childproofed (including making sure hot water is 120 degrees, fridge has a thermometer, gates on stairs, working fire alarms, no peeling/flaking paint, locks on kitchen cabinets, etc). Enough cribs/pack and plays/mattresses has to be available for number of kids I am licensed for (6, including my own). A licensor came to my house to check everything out, including that I have proper toys, small tables, etc. They also expect you to have some sort of curriculum like a real daycare.
After you finally get your license, you have to take a six hour course and need 10 hours of continuing education a year. Have to do and document fire drills every month. Give progress reports to parents every few months.

Now, after I scared you Very Happy , it really does vary by state. NJ has no requirements at all. NY requires a license only if you have more than 3 kids in your care. Check it out for wherever you are.

Good luck with your decision!

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 11 2016, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
NJ has no requirements at all.

Optional state registration is available.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics