Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Melatonim with ADHD

malky800

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 10:40 pm
My 8 yr old just started taking meds for ADD.
He always had a hard time falling asleep and now it's not any better.

I have been giving him melatonim for a week and when I stop it's back to old habits.
So I want to start melatonin again.
Is there a problem giving him melatonin long term? Should I look for a different solution?

ice coffee

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 11:02 pm
I don't have any scientific study to cite but I did hear that it can affect fertility in boys if taken more than a few times

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 12:52 am
I have a theory that is yet to be scientifically supported but I think some people really have an actual melatonin deficiency. I think giving melatonin to kids who have sleep issues for other reasons is not a good thing, but for kids who need it it is a good thing. I wonder if there's a way to test for something like that.

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 5:20 am
Seeker, I saw one study like that about kids with ASD.

Our doctor says that melatonin is safe and effective. We have been using it for a while.

malky800

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 8:29 am
My doctor said,difficulty falling asleep is a side effect of the meds he was put on.
Melatonin is working so nicely to help

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 9:03 am
seeker wrote:
I have a theory that is yet to be scientifically supported but I think some people really have an actual melatonin deficiency. I think giving melatonin to kids who have sleep issues for other reasons is not a good thing, but for kids who need it it is a good thing. I wonder if there's a way to test for something like that.

This is what my pediatrician said. DD has been on a low dose of melatonin for 7 years now. The deficiency is usually diagnosed through elimination of other possible causes, and a sleep diary kept by the parents.

I don't know how this would affect a boy, so please discuss this with your doctor, not the internet. You can try to take melatonin breaks on weekends, vacations, and summer, if you want to. It may make everyone's life harder, or it may help. Only your doctor can tell you what levels are safe.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 11:11 am
There is a well accepted study out of Israel that connects sleep apnea with ADHD symptoms. You should take him for a sleep study as soon as possible.

I have been told by numerous doctors that melatonin is okay. It is however, habit forming (this is proven)

As far as the fertility, the jury is still out on that one. There is a study that shows that children with early onset puberty have high levels of melatonin, but that was naturally occurring. No proof or study that taking a small amount each day causes problems.

Sleep deprivation is not a healthy thing, physically, emotionally, behaviorally, spiritually. You need to ask your pediatrician to help you evaluate which is a bigger risk long term.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:53 pm
Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone. Taking it helps trigger the body's natural winding down at the end of the day. I've taken it myself short term, but while it's not addictive I don't want to have to depend on it. Practicing good sleep hygiene (ie a consistent routine that fits with the body's natural sleep cycle) can help to resolve this, as well as looking at the environment for things that might be inhibiting feeling sleepy such as bright lights late at night, eating too late, stimulating activities, etc. Getting up too late can also result in not feing sleepy at bedtime; the melatonin supplement can counteract that as well as all of the above.

I have ADHD. Good sleep is key to making me feel more together and able to focus. If you're concerned about melatonin, look at the other things I mentioned, too.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 2:10 pm
It's important to note that while sleep apnea can cause ADHD-like SYMPTOMS, sleep apnea does not cause ADHD, or vice versa.

Many, many different disorders and conditions can cause symptoms that mimic ADHD, from sleep deprivation (sleep apnea) to allergies to gluten sensitivity etc.

Diagnosing someone with ADHD (if done right) involves ruling out every other possible issue first, before concluding that it's actually ADHD which is a brain chemistry issue that doesn't change significantly when you change your diet, sleep routine or anything else.

If your son had difficulty falling asleep before he started on meds, you should definitely get him checked for sleep apnea. Also, maybe he can adjust the time be takes the meds so he doesn't take a dose in the afternoon, if that's what he's doing now.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 7:17 pm
According to current medical knowledge, melatonin is safe. If it doesn't work well, another option is benadryl (also recommended by doctors). Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)