Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How can people aford BP clothing prices?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 11:39 pm
I was today in BP and can't understand how stores that sell $350 women twin sets be so full and busy, or the children s clothing that sells dresses fro $150
where do you shop?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 11:43 pm
I shop online and supplement with BP items like weekday summer skirts (school day camp) for dd who needs clothes below the knee and some for me as well (I have an easier time finding skirts at department stores than dd does).
During the week dd wears uniforms and I find the most economical ones that fit her best at a non uniform store. For shabbos and Sunday clothes we're still doing OK in department store dresses for her but I know that soon she'll need more of the Jewish made items.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 2:43 am
I have no idea. People complain about the high cost of living and then spend $100 on a weekday skirt one could make for less than $20!

I refuse to buy in these stores. Especially as quality isn't that great and I could go to non jewish stores and find similar tops...

Shop with your feet- and maybe encourage your girls' high schools to teach sewing- pattern reading and adjusting (length!) , how to buy, lay out and cut fabric, and how to use a machine!
So much more useful than memorizing chazal or some of the classes given.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 9:10 am
I can afford it but find it horrifying that ppl will spend $200 on an 8 years old's outfit and $135 on a stretchie.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 9:35 am
I can't so I don't. The only thing I end up buying in local stores are black skirts because they are so hard to find in the right fabric and shape.

But I have this question about so many other things, like how do people afford a bungallow in addition to Brooklyn rent? Boggles my mind.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 11:18 am
And ppl. shop without even thinking if they can get anything cheaper I got for my 2 yr dd an adorable shobbos dress for $20 in Macy's the original price was $52 this week I stepped into Junee and saw the same dress for $88 ridicules!she is a 2 yr old why spend that much

chanee

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 12:17 pm
Me too complaining.. I hope one day clothing won't cost that much in hiemish stores. I shop mostly in non Jewish stores but then comes those nice talking people saying to support your fellow yiddish brothers. What a shame these china imported goods to cost a months wages when I can find descent clothes a little further away.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 12:24 pm
People like to believe the myth that the clothing is more expencive because its made better. They call it "higher Quality" and it "lasts longer". I think on a subconscious level, people take better care of their "high quality European clothing" than they do of their carters/chimdrens place/macys stash. My stash also lasts 3 or more kids. Even people on this board spend $$$ and claim its msde better. Sorry. China is china.

cnc

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:20 pm
watergirl wrote:
People like to believe the myth that the clothing is more expencive because its made better. They call it "higher Quality" and it "lasts longer". I think on a subconscious level, people take better care of their "high quality European clothing" than they do of their carters/chimdrens place/macys stash. My stash also lasts 3 or more kids. Even people on this board spend $$$ and claim its msde better. Sorry. China is china.

I totally agree with you.

sourstix

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:22 pm
[quote="amother"]I have no idea. People complain about the high cost of living and then spend $100 on a weekday skirt one could make for less than $20!

I refuse to buy in these stores. Especially as quality isn't that great and I could go to non jewish stores and find similar tops...

Shop with your feet- and maybe encourage your girls' high schools to teach sewing- pattern reading and adjusting (length!) , how to buy, lay out and cut fabric, and how to use a machine!
So much more useful than memorizing chazal or some of the classes given.[/quote]

this is so refreshing to read as I am thinking this for the past 20 yrs since I left school. I hate that I cant mend anything. ok, just simple stuff. but sew something? I am so so frustrated I hope to put away some money and go learn how to do what your rigting here. I am so done with wasting money.

sourstix

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:26 pm
[quote="amother"]I can afford it but find it horrifying that ppl will spend $200 on an 8 years old's outfit and $135 on a stretchie.[/quote]

what?! so this is ridiculous. but if someone is earning money and not stealing. they can do as they please. ok were jewish and we need to be considerate of others and that if you do this your going to be different. bec most jewish people dont do this. of course there are a few. but most of us dont. its also not chinuch. to spend so much on a dress. so there is something off. but then if they have the money in a kosher way they can do as they wish.

personally I wouldnt. its not chinuch.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:30 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I can't so I don't. The only thing I end up buying in local stores are black skirts because they are so hard to find in the right fabric and shape.

But I have this question about so many other things, like how do people afford a bungallow in addition to Brooklyn rent? Boggles my mind.

I do the same, I only buy black skirts in the local stores, otherwise I stick to department stores and online shopping.

Regarding bungalow colonies..I never understood it either, until my SIL and brother made the decision to go, it came out that daycamp was so expensive that going to the bungalow colony was a better option...basically the same price but they got to have the "country" experience which they love very much

madys

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:36 pm
Not to mention the horrible return policies!!

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:42 pm
there was a time ... but I even question my younger brain as to how or why

certainly as things turned to higher prices not to mention morbidly black - it was a no brainer

I also love the variety of styles out there not having to be a clone

you can find things at old navy, gap, marshall's, macy's on clearance sales - clearance sh'b'clearance is even better .. you can also find closeout stores if you live outside new york [one of the benefits]

Maya

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 1:43 pm
youngishbear wrote:

Tax return.

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 2:16 pm
I shop in carters, gap, and h&m for my kids. Myself- department stores for tops. Skirts I get in the local shops in boro park....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 2:32 pm
chanee wrote:
Me too complaining.. I hope one day clothing won't cost that much in hiemish stores. I shop mostly in non Jewish stores but then comes those nice talking people saying to support your fellow yiddish brothers. What a shame these china imported goods to cost a months wages when I can find descent clothes a little further away.

Hate those speeches. No mitzvah to go Into debt to support a frum establishment. Especially when they overcharge by 2-3 times the price for many times worse quality. Ain't gonna do it!

gold21

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 3:23 pm
Besides for the fact that I strongly dislike boro-parky clothing (very matchy-matchy, very feminine for boys, very formal for women), and that the jewish stores have horrible return policies (er... u can get your money back if u return it within 20 minutes, otherwise store credit within 24 hours, no exceptions), yes, the prices are insane and at times I have been totally floored seeing people buying so much merchandise, im like... Why? Go shop somewhere thats really upscale if you have the money, not in some overpriced little shop.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 3:36 pm
I went to a Jewish store outside of bp, and was flabbergasted that a skirt for my tween was 140 dollars. Not gonna happen, sorry.
I walked out

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 4:08 pm
Many people have coupons before yom tov. You need to have money to use it. $50 is still too much for a pair of shoes.

For myself I try non Jewish stores. I am petite and their stuff fit better. However there are stores in Bp that have nice tops for around $40 which is a good idea for fashion challenged people.

I sew and make my headbands for my girls. it's insane to spend so much on stuff that will get ruined. Outgrown, and out of style. Plus I feel good abt my creations. However I am from the minority. Most of my neighbors do spend and they do not have a penny of savings and are on all the programs. I find The young people are very irresponsible with their money.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics