Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How can people aford BP clothing prices?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

youngishbear

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 1:11 am
Maya wrote:
Most of the stores carry them twice a year, for Easter and for winter holidays. Check out stores like Gymboree, Crazy 8, Children's Place, CrewCuts, Janie and Jack, etc.

I do check them all out. I have never been successful yet.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 3:39 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Who cares? Get your head out of other people's bank accounts.

I think the question was one of logistics. That's the question for me, anyway. 'Does every single person I know make 6 figures a year? I live in the same community, is there a club everyone is invited to where they hand out money? Where do I register?'

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 5:06 am
It's just your perspective. If you poke your head into an expensive BP shop you'd think that everyone was shopping there. If you poked your head into a local Gmach you'd think everyone shops there too.
There's all kinds. Some can afford BP and shop there. Some can't afford BP and shop there anyway. Some can't afford BP and go to Gmachs. Some can afford BP and go to Gmachs anyway.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
It's just your perspective. If you poke your head into an expensive BP shop you'd think that everyone was shopping there. If you poked your head into a local Gmach you'd think everyone shops there too.
There's all kinds. Some can afford BP and shop there. Some can't afford BP and shop there anyway. Some can't afford BP and go to Gmachs. Some can afford BP and go to Gmachs anyway.

Where are the gmachs? Maybe I can get something for pesach for my children

Stars

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 7:47 am
Whoever said they were bored with the argyle vests: department stores sometimes have fine knit sweaters for boys in solid colors that are very shabbos worthy.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 8:09 am
I basically shop flatbush, as thats convenient for me and there are higher end stores. Some stores have average prices which in my opinion are pretty expensive. When my 7.5 year old daughter was 3, we got her a couple of dresses at century. Now that she is very tall and very skinny for her age, I need to buy her in the tzinus Jewish stores because nothing would be long for her otherwise. Yes, I know how to sew, but for someone who has a decent size 3 small bedroom apt with 5 children, no sewing machine, with a newborn, works pretty full time, and can barely keep house from exhaustion and is not a perfectionist as sewing would be far more difficulty than buying clothing and yes $24-38 summer skirts in local stores. I only have one girl, and 4 boys, so one expensive headband a season won't kill me. She does outgrow her clothes fairly quickly in general and BH, my sister is happy to receive beautiful clothes of they are not stained and in decent condition when we finish with it. Yes, thinks become ripped, pimpled, pretty zipper latch falls off..... as far as little boys, I think spending over $50 on one summer shabbos outfit I expensive, by can't find these type clothing anywhere else. So buy one outfit and use hammidowns. Stores say that companies became far more expensive than ever

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 8:33 am
I was just in a store in monsey and one of the registers said 'this register for coupons'. Are there organizations giving out coupons for free socks and headbands?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 8:36 am
amother wrote:
I was just in a store in monsey and one of the registers said 'this register for coupons'. Are there organizations giving out coupons for free socks and headbands?
I don't know. But I do know that some chassidish kehillas make deals with some of the smaller shoe stores and give their congregants 20% off coupons to those stores to be used before Pesach.

youngishbear

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:04 am
Stars wrote:
Whoever said they were bored with the argyle vests: department stores sometimes have fine knit sweaters for boys in solid colors that are very shabbos worthy.

That worked for me once in all the years of vest shopping. That's precisely the problem, that it's sometimes and not always available in department stores and online.

Honestly, if the only thing I'm stuck buying locally is a vest for my son for yom tov that's not going to break the bank. I just wish it were easier to find alternatives.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:48 am
I'm surprised that no one mentioned shopping ahead....I recently bought my 8 year old DD a Shabbos outfit for next winter at 70% off of the price. I've become pretty good at finding things ahead of time and shopping the sales....when my kids are younger, I shop ahead, and when they get older, I shop department stores.

Let's see....for this summer, DD has one outfit that cost $25 - bought at sale prices from Junee - another jumper-style dress that was $23 at a local frum store at the end of last summer - and a dress from Zara's for just under $40. Plus some shells for the jumper and the Zara's dress. I also got her a Shabbos robe from last season's stock at half price.

Re: sewing - I know how to sew, but I rarely sew an outfit for my kids anymore. Quality fabric is expensive! It's more cost effective to just buy clothes on sale. But I save hundreds of dollars annually by doing my own alterations. My girls are petite so most of their clothes need to be taken in, or I can buy dresses in department stores that are short but add on a panel of fabric to the bottom. I sew up open slits, hems, etc...

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 8:47 pm
That is why Kraus Kids sales, Designer Spot, Carter's, Childrens Place in Boro Park are so busy. They are from the few Boro Park stores that are decently priced.
Personally, I buy clothing the year before when the stores are 50%-70% off and only fill in what I'm missing at the beginning of the season.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
That is why Kraus Kids sales, Designer Spot, Carter's, Childrens Place in Boro Park are so busy. They are from the few Boro Park stores that are decently priced.
Personally, I buy clothing the year before when the stores are 50%-70% off and only fill in what I'm missing at the beginning of the season.

Unfortunately, I don't think you're correct.

I always shop in Designer's Spot, and I don't think you can call it busy as compared to Tiny Town, All In One and Whoopi's. I actually stopped into Kraus Kids this week and didn't find the Shabbos stuff especially cheap.

I do the same as you btw. I shop a season in advance at 70 % off and fill in the rest at Designer's Spot. Including robes, headbands, hosiery and an extra Shabbos outfit if necessary. Shells also (and this season I got shells at Basic Colors Pop Up Shop on 13th and 46th-$8 a piece!).

yogabird

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:02 pm
amother wrote:

Not free but percent off. One of my friends got 30 percent off in a bunch of clothing, shoe, hosiery stores from her kid's school. Apparently they send it to all the parents?

And there are lots of other organizations that give coupons to their members for one reason or another.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:06 pm
yogabird wrote:
Not free but percent off. One of my friends got 30 percent off in a bunch of clothing, shoe, hosiery stores from her kid's school. Apparently they send it to all the parents?

And there are lots of other organizations that give coupons to their members for one reason or another.

The chassidus that I am associated with sends a card that has discounts to many stores including shoes, clothing, linen , hardware etc.. Honestly, I never use it because it comes out cheaper for me to do my shopping my own way (on sale, online, last year styles etc...)than getting a 10 percent discount at a local clothing or shoe store.

I know that the kollel members get 50 percent off coupons at local clothing and shoes stores etc...

yogabird

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:24 pm
amother wrote:
The chassidus that I am associated with sends a card that has discounts to many stores including shoes, clothing, linen , hardware etc.. Honestly, I never use it because it comes out cheaper for me to do my shopping my own way (on sale, online, last year styles etc...)than getting a 10 percent discount at a local clothing or shoe store.

I know that the kollel members get 50 percent off coupons at local clothing and shoes stores etc...

The only local stores I shop in are hosiery stores and shell station. I think a coupon to those would be pretty useful.

I wonder who absorbs the loss; the store owners, or is someone filling in?

It is a little ironic though when people use coupons in fancy stores to buy designer items.

Stars

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:46 pm
The coupons we get are actually worth cash. The store owners get reimbursed for all or most of it. In our case there is a private person sponsoring it.

Stars

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:48 pm
Yogabird They don't give you coupons to designer stores. It's more for the basics.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 9:56 pm
yogabird wrote:
The only local stores I shop in are hosiery stores and shell station. I think a coupon to those would be pretty useful.

I wonder who absorbs the loss; the store owners, or is someone filling in?

It is a little ironic though when people use coupons in fancy stores to buy designer items.

I was told that private people subsidize it and the stores supplement. So for example, if the hardware store is offering fifteen percent off- the store is giving five percent off and the mosad/private fundraising is paying for the other ten percent off.

There are many many stores on there and most of the owners are associated with our chassidus although I do find it ironic that the most expensive designer linen store is on there. Other than that I can't really say that there are "designer stores" there. Just the regular Boro Park stores which are above my budget!!

yogabird

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:04 pm
amother wrote:
I was told that private people subsidize it and the stores supplement. So for example, if the hardware store is offering fifteen percent off- the store is giving five percent off and the mosad/private fundraising is paying for the other ten percent off.

There are many many stores on there and most of the owners are associated with our chassidus although I do find it ironic that the most expensive designer linen store is on there. Other than that I can't really say that there are "designer stores" there. Just the regular Boro Park stores which are above my budget!!

Yeah I was going to say that -- regular boro park stores are designer, for sure relative to regular non-boro park stores.

The shoe stores sell nothing but designer shoes. Even the not fancy stores.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:04 pm
amother wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't think you're correct.

I always shop in Designer's Spot, and I don't think you can call it busy as compared to Tiny Town, All In One and Whoopi's. I actually stopped into Kraus Kids this week and didn't find the Shabbos stuff especially cheap.

I do the same as you btw. I shop a season in advance at 70 % off and fill in the rest at Designer's Spot. Including robes, headbands, hosiery and an extra Shabbos outfit if necessary. Shells also (and this season I got shells at Basic Colors Pop Up Shop on 13th and 46th-$8 a piece!).

I was in Designer Spot twice in the last 4 weeks and both times it was very full. I'm not there to often though so you could be right I don't know for sure.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics