Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How can people aford BP clothing prices?
Previous  1  2  3  4

yogabird

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:07 pm
The point being, that if more people would shop Carters, Gap and Old Navy, maybe there wouldn't be such a large need for coupons.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:10 pm
yogabird wrote:
Yeah I was going to say that -- regular boro park stores are designer, for sure relative to regular non-boro park stores.

The shoe stores sell nothing but designer shoes. Even the not fancy stores.

A relative works at a shoe store in Williamsburg and people use the coupons to buy $80 shoes for their little kids.

yogabird

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
A relative works at a shoe store in Williamsburg and people use the coupons to buy $80 shoes for their little kids.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

But there are no shoes to be found in boro park for less.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:12 pm
I hate the idea of coupons it drives up the prices for all of us that don't have the coupons.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:14 pm
yogabird wrote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

But there are no shoes to be found in boro park for less.

Right. That's where the problem starts.
This relative said they once tried to bring in a less expensive line of shoes but no one wanted to buy it because they were afraid the quality wasn't "good enough."

Stars

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:18 pm
Should they rather buy $40 shoes with the coupons? Can you be so kind and point out the $40 shoes?

That being said I don't use most of the coupons because it's cheaper to shop gap at 40 off than Jewish stores with coupons.

yogabird

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:25 pm
amother wrote:
I hate the idea of coupons it drives up the prices for all of us that don't have the coupons.

How's that?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:26 pm
Stars wrote:
Should they rather buy $40 shoes with the coupons? Can you be so kind and point out the $40 shoes?

That being said I don't use most of the coupons because it's cheaper to shop gap at 40 off than Jewish stores with coupons.

No.
They (I) should rather buy $40 shoes with no coupon than $80 shoes with a 10% off coupon.

FYI.
I was in a very popular shoe store in BP which only has Venettinis and the likes displayed (80-90+) and specifically requested to try on Stride Rite shoes which they actually did have in the back. After trying it on and deciding that this is what I'm purchasing ($44 btw), there was another young veibel there who noticed them and asked the salesman why he didn't offer them to her to try on. He basically brushed her off...

On one hand, the local stores are not even giving us options. On the other hand-I hear from family members that are in the business that when they do try bringing in cheaper lines it just doesn't sell..what's the solution for those that need to shop in BP?

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:39 pm
yogabird wrote:
How's that?

If stores are giving up to 40% off in the beginning of the season, you don't think that the price is increased to pay for that discount??

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
If stores are giving up to 40% off in the beginning of the season, you don't think that the price is increased to pay for that discount??

No. Because it's mostly subsidized thru private fundraising.

yogabird

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:

I don't think so. vennettinis cost 85 on Vennetini's website. Plus someone upthread said there are donors that are filling in the discounts to the store owners

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:
No.
They (I) should rather buy $40 shoes with no coupon than $80 shoes with a 10% off coupon.

FYI.
I was in a very popular shoe store in BP which only has Venettinis and the likes displayed (80-90+) and specifically requested to try on Stride Rite shoes which they actually did have in the back. After trying it on and deciding that this is what I'm purchasing ($44 btw), there was another young veibel there who noticed them and asked the salesman why he didn't offer them to her to try on. He basically brushed her off...

On one hand, the local stores are not even giving us options. On the other hand-I hear from family members that are in the business that when they do try bringing in cheaper lines it just doesn't sell..what's the solution for those that need to shop in BP?

Totally get this!

I don't live in BP, but I often go there for various reasons. I was once looking for shoes for my DD when she was starting to walk. DD has a relatively serious orthopedic defect, and needed supportive shoes that could handle having a large lift put into one of them. Basically, I was looking for a basic sneaker rather than a Vennittini type shoe. I went into one store, which actually had Stride Rite shoes on display. After verifying that this store could not help me, I was leaving and heard the salesman tell someone else that he puts the "high fashion" shoes at eye level, and the other shoes lower down. Great marketing technique, but I truly wondered how so many people are easily able to drop down $80 for a kids first pair of shoes, which theoretically should only lasta few months.

PS, we ended up getting DD's first shoes at Nordstrom for around $30 or so. A cute pair of pink, functional sneakers in a classic design that I can re-order the same pair online when she needs a new one. (Her feet are also 2 different sizes, so it's easier for us to just order the same pair so that we can give her the bigger shoe when she is ready for it.)

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 2:07 am
amother wrote:
No. Because it's mostly subsidized thru private fundraising.

You said it yourself, MOSTLY.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 7:26 am
amother wrote:
You said it yourself, MOSTLY.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.
I know for a fact that the Venettinis are not hiked up because of the coupons. They're the same price online and at Nordstrom's.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 7:36 am
Those coupons rarely help me. In every store they either don't apply to certain basics, or they only accept it with cash purchases.

I've gotten coupons from various sources over the years, some from the kehillah, some from my kids' schools, once or twice from my boss, and I am always annoyed by them. I agree with whoever said that they don't save me money versus shopping sales and online.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 7:40 am
I don't know how people buy ahead for young children. My kids grow a lot, but never predictably. I've bought ahead and it was small, and I've bought ahead and it was too big. Even buying shorts in March for the upcoming summer season is an art and science I have yet to perfect lol.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.
I know for a fact that the Venettinis are not hiked up because of the coupons. They're the same price online and at Nordstrom's.

They used to be cheaper then the online prices.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 5:34 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I don't know how people buy ahead for young children. My kids grow a lot, but never predictably. I've bought ahead and it was small, and I've bought ahead and it was too big. Even buying shorts in March for the upcoming summer season is an art and science I have yet to perfect lol.

Me toooooooo!!!

I haven't read the rest of the thread but I just needed to validate this. (Or maybe take validation from you, whatever.)

I do not see how people buy ahead without lots of waste or things being worn inappropriately.

I wish I had the knack, because this way I'm often rushing to fill wardrobe gaps as they appear. But everything does get worn...

Similarly, I have hand-me-downs from girl #1 for girl #2 but they never work as well on girl #2. Whether it is season, fit, or styles changing... Tiny baby clothes it worked for (they were both born in the winter) but not since we started kid sizes.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
Me toooooooo!!!

I haven't read the rest of the thread but I just needed to validate this. (Or maybe take validation from you, whatever.)

I do not see how people buy ahead without lots of waste or things being worn inappropriately.

I wish I had the knack, because this way I'm often rushing to fill wardrobe gaps as they appear. But everything does get worn...

Similarly, I have hand-me-downs from girl #1 for girl #2 but they never work as well on girl #2. Whether it is season, fit, or styles changing... Tiny baby clothes it worked for (they were both born in the winter) but not since we started kid sizes.

My sisters in law tell me the same thing (while making fun of my habit to shop cheap..).
My kids are not so old. So far it worked...I do know that eventually it may not work anymore. Also I have altered a couple of things because I bought too large, but it still came out cheaper than buying the new season items.

Honestly I don't have a lot of children, I can see it being more complicated and time consuming for someone with a large family.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics