Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
WWYD with 2 hours of cleaning help, ever

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 10:00 pm
I never have cleaning help. Literally, this is the first time since I moved out of my parents' home "n" years ago that I am getting a cleaning lady - a friend's friend is away and friend offered to split hours with the rest of us and I got 2. Today after work.

Needless to say I can easily keep a cleaning lady entertained all day. I have no idea how to prioritize or what type of work to give her. What would you do with literally 2 hours of cleaning help ever?! A week and a half before Pesach? With kids around?

I almost want to say the bathroom, just bathroom as much of it as you can scrub, but I feel like that's a waste because something about my bathroom attracts shmutz (bathroom stuff I can handle. There is just this SHMUTZ that flies in and settles everywhere, has something to do with the location of the window I think) and it will probably look the same in a couple of days anyway. I dunno. So what's next? Everything is not an option. I hear she is great and thorough but not quick so I need to prioritize.

yogabird

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 10:09 pm
Fridge and stove.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 12 2016, 10:11 pm
Bathroom and floors are the priority for me when I have 2 hours to help.
Unless there is a project that you really need help with now before Pesach like scrubbing the interior of the oven or refrigerator. Just know that these things take time so one of those may take up the majority of the time she is there. Still worth it if it's an impossible job for you.
Enjoy it!

saw50st8

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 4:25 am
Fridge and stove

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 4:27 am
Whatever you dislike most.

ETA I mean whatever you dislike **doing ** most.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 6:06 am
I had the same question. I have never had cleaning help, but I'm thinking of just splurging for 2 hours because my bathrooms could really use it. But how could I "waste" cleaning help on that right before Pesach? It's not necessary! But I think I'd still go with the bathroom plan if I end up doing it, because I likely WON'T have a chance to deep clean my bathrooms before Pesach and I will not prioritize it at all since it's not absolutely necessary, but I'll get more oneg from having them done. My oven and fridge, etc will get done either way. Also the bathroom cleaning will help past Pesach till it really looks awful again, and I'll feel like I got my money's worth.

So that's what I decided. I just haven't decided if this is going to be actualized more than a dream though.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 6:11 am
I have two hours a week. I have her clean two bathrooms and sweep and mop the floors on the main floor. that's it. I find it incredibly calming to have someone do this for me on friday morning. you are going to do most of your pesach cleaning anyway, but the basics may be neglected then.

Lani22

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 6:23 am
Fridge and stove!

glamourmom

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 6:33 am
fridge and freezer, no doubt. bathroom. floors, childrens furniture.

sunshine5

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 6:35 am
If id have 2hours I wouldn't give big jobs like fridge or oven. They really play around with that. Id much rather like mummiedearest does have her do bathrioms and floors bc that gets neglected by me before pesach. Theres nothing like a neat house to help you think clear. If your house is tidy you'll enjoy scrubbing oven and rest. I find the ladies play around with these big jobs. You know alot better when its time to stop scrubbing the ladies just wanna xo a perfect job and then there goes hour time and money.

gold21

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 6:51 am
I would strip the linens before she comes, and wash.

When she comes, I would have her scrub out the fridge (20-25 min), clean the bathroom (30 min), sweep and mop the floors- assuming its not a huge living space (45 min, possibly a bit more), and put the fresh linens back on the beds (whatever time is remaining).

I think it would take around 2 hours, but I cant be sure exactly...

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 7:17 am
OVEN- Who regularly cleans an oven?
My suggestion- do the easy Off the night before. Close all the doors and leave the kitchen windows open. Then let her clean the oven and cook top really well.

Then YOU empty the refrigerator WHILE she is scouring the oven- empty the freezer too. Let her clean the interior and then she can help you put the stuff back in.

I don't think you will have any extra time but if she does---

Have her polish all your silver... or at the very least your husbands kids cup and your candelabra (leichter).

Good luck!!

gold21

Post Wed, Apr 13 2016, 7:25 am
ValleyMom wrote:
OVEN- Who regularly cleans an oven?
My suggestion- do the easy Off the night before. Close all the doors and leave the kitchen windows open. Then let her clean the oven and cook top really well.

Then YOU empty the refrigerator WHILE she is scouring the oven- empty the freezer too. Let her clean the interior and then she can help you put the stuff back in.

I don't think you will have any extra time but if she does---

Have her polish all your silver... or at the very least your husbands kids cup and your candelabra (leichter).

Good luck!!

Yeah, I just run a self-clean cycle on my oven
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry