Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
DD Getting Married and Looking For Sheitels with MO Mom
1  2  Next

Kfar

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:13 pm
Help! We are in NY -- any suggestions? Thanks!

Skippy!!

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:15 pm
Chayas Precuts
https://chayasprecuts.wordpres.....york/

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Apr 14 2016, 10:16 pm
Budget? Color? Style?

If you post that, then we may be able to better help you. NY has tons of places to get Sheitels.

Hatzlacha and Mazal Tov!

imasinger

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 5:37 am
A few years ago, my DD in a similar situation decided that since this was not my world (I wear hats), she would go alone. And regretted it later, as she was pushed into things, and treated like a nebbuch case.

She should also be asking friends whom she trusts for recommendations and advice, so that the two of you can put your research together.

Rebesq

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 6:12 am
Where in ny?

Aetrsnrady

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 7:09 am
Another vote for Chaya's precuts. Especially since you are new to this, it really helps to try the wigs on already cut so you don't have to envision what they might look like after they are cut. No matter where you go, make an appointment and tell them it's for a Kallah. They take more time. Don't feel locked in to buy all the sheitels from one person.
OP, tell us where your DD will be living after she gets married. If it's not too far from you, it might be nice for her to start with a sheitel macher that she will continue to use after she's married.
Mazel tov!

kollel wife

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 9:56 am
Although I wear sheitels for 25 years and live in Lakewood I wouldn't know where to tell my daughter to shop when she'll be a kallah, b"eh.

Often the kallah will be purchasing a different price range, style, and quality than her mother, so don't think it's just before you're modern orthodox. I've bought myself only used sheitels in the last 10 years, which technically are also precut too, for much, much, much less than I would spend for a kallah.

Ask her friends, girls her age. So you can find out their experiences with the different brands and styles etc.

cm

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 10:02 am
I bought my first sheital several years after I was married, without my mother. The advice of peers and a sympathetic sheitalmacher was priceless.

Consider buying only one sheital to start with, perhaps not the most expensive. Many people get a better idea of what is comfortable, flattering and practical after wearing one for a while.

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Apr 15 2016, 11:30 am
choices are endless in NY ..... maybe have her ask a couple of friends where they bought theirs, if they are happy etc. There's Brooklyn of course, the 5 towns ...No worries about being MO. You are a loving Jewish Mom marrying off her daughter and helping her do this mitzvah and look pretty. Mazal tov!

Kfar

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 6:23 pm
Thanks, everyone. We are close to the city and Monsey is also not that far away. Few of her friends wear sheitels and my only friend who does in very right from BP who pays thousands of dollars for each piece. My DDs one friend who did start wearing a sheitel chose very elaborate styles that she then could not keep up due to a tough school schedule and new baby and it looked awful when I last saw her. I guess she would be most comfortable in falls for school/work and then I guess something fancier for Shabbat? Two for Shabbat? Brooklyn is also convenient for us. Thanks again!

Kfar

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 6:28 pm
PS - her natural hair color is dark brown and curly, but who knows what she will like although I don't think she should show up at work after the chatunah with straight blonde hair. Not sure about budget -- a few hundred dollars each?? Sorry, but other than my friend I have no idea how much these cost.

Aetrsnrady

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 7:14 pm
I don't think you are going to find anything for a few hundred dollars a piece. I don't think she needs 2 for Shabbat, at least not to start. A fall is very practical for work. Even though Long Island is not so close to you, I would recommend going to trying Gali's Wigs in Great Neck. Her wigs are supposed to be somewhat less expensive, but I'm not sure about the exact prices. She has a unique story about why she started covering her hair and wants all her customers to feel that they can fulfill this mitzvah and still look great. Below is info I copied and pasted from Instagram:

516-441-3830 By Appointment Only
Mon/Tues 10am-5pm
Great Neck, NY
Info@galiscouturewigs.com

Click👇to watch the video of our story!
http://www.torahanytime.com/vi.....ives/

gilamom

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 7:14 pm
Maybe try a mazali wig, they're a few hundred and don't require much fuss with customizing etc, it's just a matter of finding one that fits well and can be styled and cut in a way she likes. Wig shopping can be hard because you have to go in very open minded with trying to imagine how it will look after its cut and styled and not how it looks right now just plopped from the box onto the head. I was in this situation and wish I'd have gone with someone who knows at least a bit about wigs to explain parts/bands/etc-I'd explain it to ya now but I'm still not sure I've got it down 100%! You should also go with her, your opinion will be very helpful.

srbmom

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:03 pm
I second Mazali. She is a doll and will not push you into buying something that does not look good on you. And her prices are extremely reasonable.

cbg

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:13 pm
Third on Mazali

watergirl

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:45 pm
Aetrsnrady wrote:
I don't think you are going to find anything for a few hundred dollars a piece. I don't think she needs 2 for Shabbat, at least not to start. A fall is very practical for work. Even though Long Island is not so close to you, I would recommend going to trying Gali's Wigs in Great Neck. Her wigs are supposed to be somewhat less expensive, but I'm not sure about the exact prices. She has a unique story about why she started covering her hair and wants all her customers to feel that they can fulfill this mitzvah and still look great. Below is info I copied and pasted from Instagram:

516-441-3830 By Appointment Only
Mon/Tues 10am-5pm
Great Neck, NY
Info@galiscouturewigs.com

Click👇to watch the video of our story!
http://www.torahanytime.com/vi.....ives/

Charlene, the owner, quoted me $1700 for a shoulder length style and said it was the klei kodesh price, which was supposedly a great deal - that was over 2 years ago.

Kfar

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 9:14 pm
Thanks, again. I'm getting the impression that at least $2,000 - $3,000 each may be more realistic. The BP friend that I mentioned spends about 7,000 - 10,000 each (they are shipped in from Europe I believe) a price point that, to me, seems really over the top (and unsustainable if you have to replace these every couple of years), but again maybe I am mistaken.

cnc

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 9:18 pm
Kfar wrote:
Thanks, again. I'm getting the impression that at least $2,000 - $3,000 each may be more realistic. The BP friend that I mentioned spends about 7,000 - 10,000 each (they are shipped in from Europe I believe) a price point that, to me, seems really over the top (and unsustainable if you have to replace these every couple of years), but again maybe I am mistaken.

7k-10k on a wig???
I don't think even the most high end wigs are in that price range.
You can definitely get in the 1000 $ range. Try Esther Aron, Bella, Irene. Milano.

MamaBear

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 9:21 pm
I have a $1400 Sary that is, hands down, better than my $2K plus sheitels.

Please don't be fooled into thinking that the more you spend, the better the wig. It's not always the case. And one's preferences change with time - better to go with something cheaper at a young age til you know what you're really liking for after a couple of years.

cbg

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 10:06 pm
Mazali's go for about $700, 18-20 inch.
They are not European, but in my opinion if you are not blonde you don't really need European. I've had mine for 2 yrs and still looks great.
If you want higher end European she carries Fortune brand.
When my DD got married I bought her 1 Fortune and 1 Mazali, spent $2200 for both, about 5 yrs ago, they are still in great condition.

Don't be in a rush to buy a wig. Go to several places, try them on, sit there for a while if you need to.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels