Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Those who put in new kitchens, best/worst decisions?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

bnm

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 9:08 am
I don't like my corner bottom lazy susans that I use for pots. Maybe installing lighting will help.

I love my spice rack.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 9:28 am
I do space planning and kitchen design professionally. DH and I have been slowly working on our own kitchen for years — making the cabinet boxes ourselves and DIY’ing some of the other tasks such as painting and flooring. It’s still not completely finished.

We moved our kitchen from one part of house to another and knocked out 2 bedrooms in the process, facilitating a much more appealing and functional kitchen/breakfast room. The total space is about 15' x 22'. We kept our old dinky kitchen working until the new one was far enough along to be usable. Later we combined the old kitchen with an adjacent room to create a large living room.

Some of the things I like best about my kitchen:
• The layout (of course!)
• The location of the kitchen vis-à-vis the rest of the house
• the 48" wide Pesach storage closet — I’ll take the padlock off its door tonight or tomorrow!
• Walk-in pantry
• Home office (where I’m writing this now) in the breakfast room just a few feet from the kitchen proper
• a pareve island with reduced height where most of my cooking begins
• Wood counter on the island — I cut directly on it.
• Room to sit down at the island while I work
• Metal dishrack mounted above the milchik sink (similar to the Israeli ones but not inside a cabinet). We plan to make something similar on the fleishik side.
• Lots of open storage including 2 pot racks
• A 60/40 farm sink on the fleishik side

Not much I don't like. A pareve sink in the island would have been nice. Nixed due to budget concerns, close proximity of the milchik sink, and the fact that my Rav allows our milchik dishwasher to also be used for pareve.

ROFL

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 11:31 am
Also, just wanted to bring up, if anyone who will be using the kitchen is vertically challenged, if you can spare the storage space you might want to build in a step stool to unfold from bottom cabinets. like :

1927 Craftsman Charm
Photo by Janel Campbell, CMKBD, CAPS/Neil Kelly Company

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 11:57 am
just saw an article which depicts a kitchen island with a sink on the corner in order to have more viable counter space

http://www.latimes.com/busines......html

grace413

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 1:10 pm
ROFL wrote:
Also, just wanted to bring up, if anyone who will be using the kitchen is vertically challenged, if you can spare the storage space you might want to build in a step stool to unfold from bottom cabinets. like :

1927 Craftsman Charm
Photo by Janel Campbell, CMKBD, CAPS/Neil Kelly Company

This is majorly cool!

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 2:16 pm
What everyone else said. Also, I personally love:

1) Fridges and dishwashers that look like the cabinets.
2) Spice rack
3) My backsplash - I built it so that it goes all the way up to the cabinets, and lines the entire wall of the kitchen without cabinets.
4) Tile floor that looks like wood but isn't. Best of both worlds!
5) A white kitchen.
6) As others have said, I love my deep, deep sinks and high faucets, I love my under-the-cabinet lights.
7) Automatic hot water and cold water filter duo at a sink.

What I wish I could have done:
1) A humongous fridge/freezer. No space! A subzero is my dream.
2) Custom cabinetry, though honestly the pre-fab ones work just as well.
3) Outlets under the cabinets - I didn't even think about this one.
4) A way to hide the toaster.
5) Those awesome looking colored ranges for 8 million dollars.

ROFL

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 2:17 pm
grace413 wrote:
This is majorly cool!

Thanks my daughter is short and she showed it to me !

israelimom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 3:20 pm
Designing our kitchen now and one feature that I absolutely love is a narrow vertical drawer next to the range that holds oils and spices. Very convenient!

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 3:42 pm
israelimom wrote:
Designing our kitchen now and one feature that I absolutely love is a narrow vertical drawer next to the range that holds oils and spices. Very convenient!

Actually I always wonder how that works out. How can you store spices by the range? Especially in a warm climate (I assume you are in Israel)?
I keep all my spices in the fridge, others they can get infested easily.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 5:00 pm
Tablepoetry wrote:
Actually I always wonder how that works out. How can you store spices by the range? Especially in a warm climate (I assume you are in Israel)?
I keep all my spices in the fridge, others they can get infested easily.

Agreed. I specifically did not do that because I don't think those things should be stored in a warmer area.

Miri7

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 5:29 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Agreed. I specifically did not do that because I don't think those things should be stored in a warmer area.

My mom put in one of these but it's not directly alongside the range. It's a few feet over, but still just about arms reach, so she can open it when cooking and just use the spices and oils from the cabinet.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 5:37 pm
An interesting solution for challenging corners, this cabinet is made by Decora Cabinets:
https://i67.tinypic.com/14ccrop.jpg

wantavaca

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 5:58 pm
Keep the great ideas coming ladies!

tryinghard

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 6:43 pm
I had a 9 inch space so I made a thin cabinet for baking sheets and stuff like that - I love it!

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 6:56 pm
Miri7 wrote:
My mom put in one of these but it's not directly alongside the range. It's a few feet over, but still just about arms reach, so she can open it when cooking and just use the spices and oils from the cabinet.

A friend put them in in the upper cabinets but I find that they can be hard to reach and also I know I would eventually run out of space and I constantly buy a variety of spices so it doesn't work for me but it's a cool feature.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 6:57 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
An interesting solution for challenging corners, this cabinet is made by Decora Cabinets:

That is very cool. Do you have links to any solutions for interiors of already installed cabinets?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 7:24 pm
I find that the most convenient spot for a garbage can is under the meaty corner sink, which usually has wasted space anyway.
I always wonder how something like that would work logistically.
Rubber Ducky, have you ever seen anything like this? So curious.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 7:51 pm
amother wrote:
That is very cool. Do you have links to any solutions for interiors of already installed cabinets?

http://www.shelvesthatslide.com/ makes/carries pull-out shelves and other after-market cabinet improvements.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 9:20 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:

That is so cool!! I love it!!

thanks

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 12:08 am
I have the space and put in a full fridge and full freezer. Both are counter-depth so everything is easily in view. Frigidaire makes a nice model.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics