Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Those who put in new kitchens, best/worst decisions?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Shuly

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 2:21 pm
My friend made a cabinet for her garbage can, but she did not put a bottom on the cabinet. So you open the cabinet door and you can see the kitchen floor inside with the garbage can sitting on the floor.
This makes it much easier to clean - pull out the garbage can and mop up underneath. No need to scrub a gross cabinet where garbage has dripped.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 2:25 pm
All of my lower cabinets are either pull-out or drawers, except for the one under the sink.

I love my super deep sinks, so glad my contractor talked me into it.

I wish I had put in a broom closet.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 4:42 pm
Chayalle wrote:
All of my lower cabinets are either pull-out or drawers, except for the one under the sink.

While my sinks are in cabinets, there are pull-out drawers built into the bottom of the cabinets.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 4:59 pm
I like my pot filler over the stove.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 5:06 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
While my sinks are in cabinets, there are pull-out drawers built into the bottom of the cabinets.

I'd love to see that!

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 5:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I'd love to see that!

This isn't my kitchen, but this it what it looks like:
Under sink pull out drawer

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 5:12 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
This isn't my kitchen, but this it what it looks like:
Under sink pull out drawer

Nice. I'm trying to figure out how to utilize the space under our corner sinks. I know I'll need something different because they are on the corners (I prefer it that way to maximize the counter space.) For now we don't need the space underneath but I'd love to maximize on it eventually.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 5:57 pm
Ra-mom, how about something like this D-susan from Rev-a-Shelf?
http://www.kitchensource.com/l.....SBS-1
http://i65.tinypic.com/iw0nyv.png
It comes in different diameters up to 32", but if you try this, be sure to order a size that will fit through the cabinet door!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 6:00 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Ra-mom, how about something like this D-susan from Rev-a-Shelf?
http://www.kitchensource.com/l.....SBS-1
http://i65.tinypic.com/iw0nyv.png
It comes in different diameters up to 32", but if you try this, be sure to order a size that will fit through the cabinet door!

That looks so cool! Does it spin all the way around, or from side to side? I have a large under cabinet but the cabinet door is not very wide. I guess it can't be put in on its side before turning right side up once inside?
Wow, thank you!

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 7:37 pm
It spins. You could tilt the susan diagonally to get one into the cabinet, but for an aftermarket install you still would need to clear the door, sink, disposal, pipes, whatever's down there.

I wonder whether you could cut the platform 2/3-1/3 and then put it back together, joining the pieces with hinges, so you fold a large susan to fit through the cabinet door.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 9:00 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
It spins. You could tilt the susan diagonally to get one into the cabinet, but for an aftermarket install you still would need to clear the door, sink, disposal, pipes, whatever's down there.

I wonder whether you could cut the platform 2/3-1/3 and then put it back together, joining the pieces with hinges, so you fold a large susan to fit through the cabinet door.

Thank you! It's definitely something to look into!

mommyla

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 9:04 pm
I have these in my corner cabinets (sorry, can't embed the image) - http://www.houzz.com/photos/98.....polis

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 9:11 am
I do too.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 9:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
Nice. I'm trying to figure out how to utilize the space under our corner sinks. I know I'll need something different because they are on the corners (I prefer it that way to maximize the counter space.) For now we don't need the space underneath but I'd love to maximize on it eventually.

We have corner sinks and I love them.

We didn't have space for vertical storage, so I got one of those basic dividers to put under there and have my baking sheets and cutting boards down there, plus some oversized plastic bowls (a huge one for challah) and our grilling stuff. Under our dairy sink, we also have the baking sheets and cutting boards, plus cut paper towels and some cleaning supplies. It's very useful.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 9:26 am
mommyla wrote:
I have these in my corner cabinets (sorry, can't embed the image) - http://www.houzz.com/photos/98.....polis

I had that in my old kitchen and it didn't work well for me -- I found that small things always fell off of the lazy susan shelf and got stuck in the back and the sides. I suppose it would work better if different kinds of things are stored there and you're more careful.

mommyla

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 1:22 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I had that in my old kitchen and it didn't work well for me -- I found that small things always fell off of the lazy susan shelf and got stuck in the back and the sides. I suppose it would work better if different kinds of things are stored there and you're more careful.

I can see that happening. I have all of my pots and small appliances down there, so no little pieces.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 4:49 pm
I regret getting light colored granite counters. They stain terribly and I'm always nervous about working on it. Every little spill has me cringing. My counter is full of permanent stains and it's barely a year old.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 9:24 pm
I’m sorry to hear that. So what type of countertops are nice yet practical? I see so many people putting in Calcatta style which is so white. How do they keep those from staining?

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 11:16 pm
amother wrote:
I’m sorry to hear that. So what type of countertops are nice yet practical? I see so many people putting in Calcatta style which is so white. How do they keep those from staining?

This is a pretty old thread so people may not reply....

But I will! I decided to do white cabinets and dark countertops that look like soapstone - absolutely black granite with a honed finish

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 2:34 am
My plan is to put in soapstone. It has downsides (it has a matte finish, not shiny; it is a softer stone so it can chip and scratch - although you can repair the scratches yourself pretty easily; and it doesn't come in a lot of colors) but it is antimicrobial, doesn't need sealing, and hot pots can be put directly on it.

I also want to do cork floors, so much easier on the feet and for dropping dishes and glassware! I am considering commercial-grade which is a bit more indestructible though.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics