Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Teenage Daughter's Heavy Bleeding

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 12:45 am
My thirteen year old dd got her period for the first time this past week. She bled through her pajamas to her bed sheet and mattress protector each night, despite being really careful about how she put on her overnight pad. This Shabbos was day 4 and I thought it will get lighter. Instead, she realized Motzei Shabbos that she had bled through her light-colored Shabbos skirt! She was mortified that other people may have noticed, though I was with her all day and didn't see it. (Maybe it only happened at night?)
Any ideas how to deal with this? Is this heavy bleeding normal for the first period? Is there hope that it will get better? How can I help her cope with this??

Goldie613

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 2:40 am
Is this an issue during the day as well, or only at night? During the day she may be changing it a lot more often, and Shabbos day she may have been busy playing and just didn't think of it as often. You can try having her wear pads that are made for "heavier" flow or that are longer and see if that works better.

Some people have heavier flow than others, so this may be perfectly normal for her, or it may just be a fluke this month. If you're concerned you can always check with your daughter's pediatrician or your ObGyn for advice.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 3:55 am
Different pads may help. Longer / with wings / higher absorbancy...

It can take a while to find a good fit.

Also is she changing her pad during the day? She should be able to tell when a pad is getting full.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 4:00 am
And wear dark skirts. I always do when I have my period.

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 5:51 am
While it's possible that this is normal, don't let this go on for too long before you speak to the pediatrician. She could become anemic so you should look out for fatigue. See an adolescent gynecologist if necessary.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 7:32 am
My daughter's first period was also like this. Since then, she has never had such a heavy period again. Her periods are actually much lighter than mine were at her age. You should keep an eye on it, but there is definitely a chance that this is a one-time occurrence.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 10:17 am
Thank you all for the replies. Yes, she was changing her pad regularly, but I will look into even more absorbent pads than those I have. And thanks for the reassurance that this may be a one time thing. I sure hope so!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 9:52 pm
Also look into different sized pads. She may need extra long, even at this age, for better coverage. Also I find that pads with wings are the way to go, as they provide better coverage for moving around in then regular ones do. She may need to wear overnight ones all day, and that is okay.

And yes, it could take a few months for her periods to settle down and regulate.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 12:13 am
I have very heavy periods. In order to save the linen, I put down a "chuck"-you know the pad they put under you in The hospital after a baby?
I also have special panties and pjs that I wear at that time.
I found that a bar of soap takes out the blood pretty easily.

I don't have an answer to your question, but these tips can help meanwhile.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 7:20 am
I used to wake up every few hours overnight to change pads when it was heavy. Also consider tampons if she's sleeping less than 8 hours.

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 10:05 am
I have heard that thinx lined with a pad or used with a tampon are great for women with heavy periods. They are expensive but maybe try a pair for her to see if they work for her
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics