Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Paddling at School

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 10:03 am
as the mother watches a 5 year old boy is paddled by the school principal and her assistant ... claims they threatened to arrest her if they didn't allow boy to be punished ... shocking to say the least !!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mom......html

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 10:13 am
Wow, I didn't know paddling was legal in some states.
Did they really tell the mom she'd be arrested if she didn't consent? I'm having a hard time with that.
Poor little boy. I agree with the therapist they interviewed. This just teaches children to hit.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 10:23 am
whenever or wherever no matter by whom - teaches the person that hitting is acceptable

I too was shocked it is still legal ... in more states than just georgia

these women should be dismissed of their position & locked up

the mother on the other hand needs help with her child & help in becoming more confident in her decisions so she doesn't allow anybody to abuse her or her child

nywife

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 10:30 am
I'm trying not to judge but hello, the mother just stands by (and videos) while her son is being paddled?? Because they threatened to "have her arrested"? Firstly, they don't have that power. Secondly, I'd take my chances rather than stand by while my child gets hurt.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 10:34 am
if you listen to the entire video - she was already arrested for her child being truant ... yes many states including ohio actually do this ... I know as I myself have been threatened because of a kid who wouldn't go to school

then again regardless I would never stand by - watch - allow - or anything else ... so I hear you loud & clear which is why I said the mother needs to learn empowerment rather than watch her son get abused

leopardspots

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 10:42 am
Wow, this makes me so enraged! I'd be like...oh yeah? ARREST ME!!
This mother has failed her son.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 11:01 am
leopardspots wrote:
Wow, this makes me so enraged! I'd be like...oh yeah? ARREST ME!!
This mother has failed her son.

It's enraging, I agree with you on that.

It's also clear that the mom is unstable, so perhaps we should pull our attention away from her and focus on corporal punishment. It's happening in Jewish schools across the country, and far worse than a quick paddling. (Which I also find horrifying, btw.)

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 11:03 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
It's enraging, I agree with you on that.

It's also clear that the mom is unstable, so perhaps we should pull our attention away from her and focus on corporal punishment. It's happening in Jewish schools across the country, and far worse than a quick paddling. (Which I also find horrifying, btw.)

Which Jewish schools? And what are they doing?

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 11:06 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Which Jewish schools? And what are they doing?

All the yeshivas I read about here on Imamother, with rebbes smacking around kids?

leopardspots

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 11:17 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
All the yeshivas I read about here on Imamother, with rebbes smacking around kids?
I would lose it.
I want names!!!

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 11:43 am
leopardspots wrote:
I would lose it.
I want names!!!

I'm not the best searcher through the archives, so this is a cursory search. I know there are more:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....chool

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 12:05 pm
Am I missing something, or are they punishing the child for something that is the mother's responsibility? At age five, is it not the mother's job to get him to school?

Also, she did claim they were for medical reasons. If so, they are punishing a child for something beyond either of their control? (And I am using the word "punishing" lightly. This is traumatizing.)

I seem to understand from the video that there was a behaviour issue or incident, but this is not the way to handle it.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 12:14 pm
they punished him "for fighting and spitting at a teacher" ... while having nothing to do with the truancy - the school threatened to call the police for more truancy charges if she didn't go along with the paddling

she stupidly consented

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 12:21 pm
[quote="greenfire"]they punished him "for fighting and spitting at a teacher" ... while having nothing to do with the truancy - the school threatened to call the police for more truancy charges if she didn't go along with the paddling

she stupidly consented[/quote]

Right, so I understood that part. Obviously the child needs to be punished for that, but a paddling? Really? And then threatening to arrest the mother? Seriously?

How can the school possibly justify combining the truancy with the behaviour mentioned? The truancy is out of his hands at age 5.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 1:48 pm
What century are these people living in?

The child does not need to be punished, he needs to be assessed by the school district. He needs to be screened for behavior disorders, learning issues, and probably get an IEP drawn up.

I would be in jail before I'd let anyone touch my child like that. I don't care if she threw a desk through a window. A five year old needs intervention, and is obviously acting out of frustration.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 2:47 pm
I have trouble with the allegations that the school allegedly threatened the mom that if she does not consent to paddling she would be arrested. Which police force would arrest a mom for that?

Beyla

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 4:25 pm
Horrible abuse. Can't believe it's 'legal' somewhere.

GetReal

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 4:57 pm
They didn't threaten to arrest her. They threatened to suspend her son if she doesn't agree to the punishment. Since she had previously been arrested for her sons truancy, she thought the suspension would count as another absence and cause her to be arrested again.

I can't believe people would punish a kid like this in the day and age!

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 5:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I have trouble with the allegations that the school allegedly threatened the mom that if she does not consent to paddling she would be arrested. Which police force would arrest a mom for that?

I was threatened by the board of education to be arrested for my daughter's truancy ... a child who was more in need of specialized education rather than said child or her mother in jail and/or fines as any amount would be too expensive ... yes this was in my lifetime

and if you really must know they did arrest said daughter and cause a lot of emotional agita - to say the least & I had to fight to put her into a specialized school ... etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics