Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Neutering a male dog

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 7:17 pm
Anyone familiar with the Halacha of neutering a male dog? I'm aware that the dog has to be Sold to a non Jew and be brought to a non Jewish vet. Once dog is sold to non Jew, can the Jewish owner take the dog to the vet or does the owner need a non Jewish messenger to do it? Also, is there a specific amount of money the dog should be sold for?

*asked a rav who said it's complicated and will look into it. Wondering if anyone here has done it or got an answer from a rav.

Seas

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 7:39 pm
Selling to a non Jewish vet isn't such a simple thing. It's brought in the poskim that if someone does that they're forced by beis din to have to sell the animal. I had the same shailoh with a female pet, which is not as problematic, and the unanimous answer was that it's ossur.

The best thing is to buy a second hand pet that's already been neutered.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 7:52 pm
Seas wrote:
Selling to a non Jewish vet isn't such a simple thing. It's brought in the poskim that if someone does that they're forced by beis din to have to sell the animal. I had the same shailoh with a female pet, which is not as problematic, and the unanimous answer was that it's ossur.

The best thing is to buy a second hand pet that's already been neutered.

We already have the puppy. I didn't realize the halachic complications before the fact. I heard there is a way to do it, not by selling him to the vet directly, but by selling him to a non Jew (not the vet) and then when he's no longer under your ownership taking him or having someone else take him (not sure about that part) to the non Jewish vet to have it done. Then, you can buy him back.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 7:52 pm
you would need a non-jew to bring it ... you can go along & you don't need anyone to pick him up to bring doggy home

Zehava

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 7:58 pm
Wow never heard of this. Why is it prohibited to neuter a pet?

Seas

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 8:00 pm
Posuk in the Torah (I.e. issur mideoiraisa).

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 8:02 pm
greenfire wrote:
you would need a non-jew to bring it ... you can go along & you don't need anyone to pick him up to bring doggy home

Thanks for clarifying that. Do u happen to know the source?

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 8:22 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for clarifying that. Do u happen to know the source?

no tangible sefer - if that's what you're asking

been there done that with my daughter and her pets and a non-jewish friend who brought them ...

she also got her friend to do this for someone else's pet in the neighborhood

shayla was asked

but my rav is not your rav is not her rav

Zehava

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 8:34 pm
Funny how we never learnt this Chumash in school

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 8:44 pm
greenfire wrote:
no tangible sefer - if that's what you're asking

been there done that with my daughter and her pets and a non-jewish friend who brought them ...

she also got her friend to do this for someone else's pet in the neighborhood

shayla was asked

but my rav is not your rav is not her rav

Ok thanks for the info!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 8:57 pm
Zehava wrote:
Funny how we never learnt this Chumash in school

I think the Pasuk is Vayikrah 22:24

singleagain

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 10:30 pm
amother wrote:
I think the Pasuk is Vayikrah 22:24

This is abt korbanot, not pets

כד וּמָעוּךְ וְכָתוּת וְנָתוּק וְכָרוּת, לֹא תַקְרִיבוּ לַיהוָה; וּבְאַרְצְכֶם, לֹא תַעֲשׂוּ. 24 That which hath its stones bruised, or crushed, or torn, or cut, ye shall not offer unto the LORD; neither shall ye do thus in your land.

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0322.htm

marina

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 10:53 pm
We just sold it to the vet for a dollar - did this for a few diff pets.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 11:14 pm
singleagain wrote:

כד וּמָעוּךְ וְכָתוּת וְנָתוּק וְכָרוּת, לֹא תַקְרִיבוּ לַיהוָה; וּבְאַרְצְכֶם, לֹא תַעֲשׂוּ. 24 That which hath its stones bruised, or crushed, or torn, or cut, ye shall not offer unto the LORD; neither shall ye do thus in your land.

It's about karbanot and pets and livestock. "Ye shall not offer unto the Lord" is about karbanot. "Neither shall ye do thus in your land" refers to any animals that belong to you.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 11:41 pm
singleagain wrote:

As far as I read, rashi and others comment on the words "neither shall ye do thus in your land" and say it implies that you can't do those things to any animal in your land.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 7:35 am
Don't know if this matters but there are medical reasons to neuter dogs--prevents pyometria in females and testicular cancer in males. Would that make a difference in what's halachically acceptable?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 7:44 am
amother wrote:
Don't know if this matters but there are medical reasons to neuter dogs--prevents pyometria in females and testicular cancer in males. Would that make a difference in what's halachically acceptable?

No, it's still assur to do it directly.

I sold my pets to my non Jewish exhusband, and he drove us to the non Jewish vet. I bought back the animals after we got the pet back home. It's a lot easier to do in the US, but if you are in Israel, call around to vet offices and ask how they arrange things, or find a frum pet owner.

Neutering is very good for pets who are not being kept for purebred reasons, not just for health, but because psychologically they suffer when their hormonal urges are frustrated. This can make dogs destructive from frustration, or even aggressive. They will also do anything and everything to escape the yard, "looking for love in all the wrong places."

I also want to second that it's much better to adopt a pet who is sitting on death row, and deserves a forever home. All the medical stuff is taken care of in advance for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions