Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
That Shmorg ad on the side is driving me crazy

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 9:31 pm
They're all staring at me. STARING AT ME. And with some bad graphics, eating "popcorn".

How long is this going to be up?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 17 2016, 9:44 pm
lol! I was thinking the same thing!

I guess it'll be there till their auction - whenever that is.

ayintova

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 12:03 am
I didn't even notice until you posted. Now they are staring at ME!

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 12:51 am
It's been there a long time already. I tend to hate all their ads, it seems, I remember having a similar complaints last year. And they all keep turning blue? What?

imasoftov

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 5:36 am
When you complain about an annoying ad, you are giving the advertizer publicity, and thereby encouraging more of the same.

myself

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 5:59 am
If this thread gives them publicity, even better, but this ad is downright annoying. It doesn't encourage me to donate.

etky

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 6:10 am
imasoftov wrote:
When you complain about an annoying ad, you are giving the advertizer publicity, and thereby encouraging more of the same.

True, but this ad is such a turnoff that it would never occur to me to click on it and see what it is about. What they are trying to promote/sell is not at all apparent from the ad. I have no idea what Shmorg or Oorah are and never want to know thanks to this uber-annoying and disturbing ad.
Actually I never even noticed the words Shmorg or Oorah on the side and bottom until some posters pointed it out because the faces are so distracting.
For all I know it's an ad for popcorn....

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 6:20 am
They're turning blue because they are watching the Shmorg. That's why they're eating popcorn!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 7:28 am
Everyone knows that popcorn is a choking hazard, especially if you are stuffing your face.

That's why they're turning blue. Call Hatzolah! Angry

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 8:00 am
It doesn't bother me. There's another site that allows you to remove it but the ad is placed in a much more annoying place.
Here's why it doesn't bother me (but please note: I am not denying your right to comment on ads that annoy you: this is all part of the advertising process, what works, what doesn't):
It enables Yael to keep this site running at no charge.
This auction enables an incredibly worthy organization to keep running.
This auction and all that goes with it, the shmorg, promotional videos, are actually fairly entertaining and I'm sure are studied by advertising students. Sometimes parts of it fall flat (I guess this ad, which I've pretty much ignored) but most of it's pretty cool.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 4:10 pm
Which one bothers you the most? For me, it's the grandfather at the bottom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics