Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Re-testing the heelprick

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 2:58 pm
DD is a month today. I got a call from the hospital today that the test didn't come out clear and I have to come in and do a retest plus a urine test. Anyone had such a thing?

yogabird

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 3:05 pm
Very common for heel-sticks to clot and skew results, especially if it takes a long time to get enough blood out.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 3:51 pm
Just tell them you'll do it at your pediatrician.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 3:54 pm
I'm not scared to re-do it. I'm worried WHY I need to do it. Was it a mistake or does my baby have a defect ch"v? Crying

egam

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 8:04 pm
I had to redo it for my son. Having leaved big part of my life in Soviet Union, I had the same fears. But I was told by everyone that if they say it didn't work, it just that.

Helani

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 8:17 pm
Also had to do it for one of my babies. They didn't get enough blood for all the tests first time around.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 8:19 pm
Some states do it twice, once as a newborn and again at 2 weeks because it is known that the early ones may not be accurate. It's really not anything to worry about and in the states where they do it twice, the pediatricians easily administer them. The states where they don't, not all pediatricians will offer to do so, though. It is possible to get the kit from the board of health and bring it to the ped, but it may be simpler to just go to the hospital if your ped doesn't have the kit in the office.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 8:21 pm
I had to do it too. Was so freaked out but it's usually a problem with the sample..they didnt get enough or it congealed before it could be tested. (sorry for the grossness).
Of course your mind jumps to the worst but it really does happen, and my baby was fine Smile

2cents

Post Mon, Apr 18 2016, 8:27 pm
We had to do it again for one of my kids. BH, it was fine.

thanks

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 9:21 am
I also had to redo it. I did it at the pediatrician.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics