Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Umbrella or raincoat?

for children under 12- umbrella or raincoat?
umbrella  
 8%  [ 10 ]
raincoat  
 87%  [ 102 ]
other  
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 117

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 7:35 am
For children, under 12, which do you prefer for them an umbrella or raincoat?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 7:40 am
Depends on the particular child . Not the age of the child I find.
My daughter always prefered an umbrella and used it as an umbrella was ment to be used. My son at the same age also wanted to use an umbrella but used if for everything the umbrella was not made to be used for(...

lfab

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 7:51 am
Definitely rain coat. They keep begging me for umbrellas but the one time I bought them they were all broken after 2-3 uses because they just played around with them. Besides, they don't end up holding it over their heads properly and still end up soaked!

MrsDash

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 7:54 am
I voted other because I give my daughter a rain jacket and rain boots. If it's really nasty out, an umbrella as well. (The small child sized kind.)

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 7:54 am
not into either myself umbrellas are too cumbersome to carry & raincoats feel like someone just locked me in a ziplock baggie ...

but I would vote raincoat over umbrella

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 8:12 am
both plus boots unless I have to hold their hands, in which case, just the coat.

cm

Post Tue, Apr 19 2016, 8:27 am
Raincoat, definitely, for very young children. Easier to handle, leaves hands free. I had an umbrella at age 4 and pinched my hand in the mechanism while closing it.

For school aged kids, personal preference after age 8 or so. If they use umbrellas, be sure they know and follow the necessary etiquette.

pause

Post Sun, Apr 24 2016, 8:00 pm
I also prefer a rain jacket with a thin lining which doubles as an in-between-jacket for chilly weather.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 26 2016, 8:49 pm
My kiddo can't keep track of umbrellas to save her life. I can get her to wear a raincoat, but only if she LOVES the way it looks.

DD is a sensory seeking child, and enjoys getting soaking wet. She says the rain on her head feels really good, and she's never cold. (This is the same girl who will walk barefoot in the snow, because she likes the way it crunches between her toes. I swear, she's impervious to the weather!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics