Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Sanders pro-Palestinian comments cost him the NY primary?

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 2:30 am
Did Bernie Sanders' pro-Palestinian comments kill his chance of winning the New York primary, and does he still have a chance to win the nomination?

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 6:18 am
His opponent for the Democratic ticket is a former NY Senator, so I would think NYers might favor Hillary in any case. But maybe others can weigh in (I am not a NYer).

I certainly don't think it will kill his chances to win the Democratic nomination. I don't see the Democratic party as particularly pro-Israel. In the clips I saw, the audience cheered when he said those things.

On the other thread, so many *Orthodox Jews* didn't seem to care what he said about Israel, so I can't imagine the rest of the country would care.

abound

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 6:30 am
There is a very large arab and muslim population in NY, probably bigger than the orthodox and Jewish one or at least almost the same. I do not think that his comments cost him NY state but it definitely cost him a lot of votes.
I do not think that being pro palestinian is what people are noticing but that he says and believes things that are made up, people like smart and informed leaders. So unless someone is a diehard palestinian supporter they probably realized that he is not stating facts at all, that must have cost him more votes.

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 9:21 am
DrMom wrote:
His opponent for the Democratic ticket is a former NY Senator, so I would think NYers might favor Hillary in any case. But maybe others can weigh in (I am not a NYer).

I certainly don't think it will kill his chances to win the Democratic nomination. I don't see the Democratic party as particularly pro-Israel. In the clips I saw, the audience cheered when he said those things.

On the other thread, so many *Orthodox Jews* didn't seem to care what he said about Israel, so I can't imagine the rest of the country would care.

What Sanders' said about treating the Palestinians equally, etc made my blood boil, and everyone else I know felt the same. The only Jews whose blood certainly didnt boil, the comments warmed the cockles of their hearts, were the Neturei Karta faction, and a limited number of Ultra Ultra Chassidim, to whom Israel's existence ranges from sinful to unimportant.

gold21

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 11:29 am
Mevater wrote:
What Sanders' said about treating the Palestinians equally, etc made my blood boil, and everyone else I know felt the same. The only Jews whose blood certainly didnt boil, the comments warmed the cockles of their hearts, were the Neturei Karta faction, and a limited number of Ultra Ultra Chassidim, to whom Israel's existence ranges from sinful to unimportant.

Yeah, Imamother is so not representative of real life. My sis was actually just saying that she liked Bernie Sanders (he seems genuine), but she wont vote for him any more since his views on Israel have become clear... She is a moderate/independant voter, like me, and chooses her candidates according to their indidvidual viewpoints. (Personally, I never was a Sanders fan.)

leah233

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 11:37 am
Even absent the specific issue, someone who gets his facts so wrong on a well known easily verifiable issue (e.g. 10,000 deaths in Gaza) and someone who can insist something should have been differently (e.g. the Israeli military behavior) but admits not knowing what, really is not presidential material.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 12:16 pm
I doubt it very much. Hilary is a "favorite daughter" much as Kasich was in Ohio.

Also the New York primaries are a closed primary and so you must be registered in the party. Aren't the majority of frum Jews registered Republicans. At least the analysis I was listening to last night pointed out that the only Congressional District that had any significant votes for Cruz was the one located in Brooklyn which is where frum communities are located.

Most secular Jews do not vote on one issue - especially Israel. They certainly don't view Obama as being anti-Israel.

They are much more focused on domestic issues such as social issues, economy, income inequality etc. To the extent they voted for Hilary it would be a combination of her being a favored daughter as well as viewing her as the most competent person to attempt to get things done.

Simple1

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 12:40 pm
Amarante wrote:

Also the New York primaries are a closed primary and so you must be registered in the party. Aren't the majority of frum Jews registered Republicans. At least the analysis I was listening to last night pointed out that the only Congressional District that had any significant votes for Cruz was the one located in Brooklyn which is where frum communities are located.

I used to think this. But recently I've noticed there are a lot of frum people in Boro Park who are registered democrats.

I was hoping there would actually be more votes for Cruz or Kasich - I thought there are more frum Jews than the amount of votes they got. Either there was low turn out because people are busy with Pesach, or maybe there are a lot registered democrat or independent. And then there are frum people who are pro Trump (which I can't understand but they're entitled to their vote.)

Faigy86

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 12:43 pm
Amarante wrote:

I believe many NY voters are registered Democrat (even if they vote republican) because NY is such a highly Democratic state, they'd rather make their opinion known where it can possibly have an impact, as opposed to just making a statement.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 12:47 pm
gold21 wrote:
Yeah, Imamother is so not representative of real life. My sis was actually just saying that she liked Bernie Sanders (he seems genuine), but she wont vote for him any more since his views on Israel have become clear... She is a moderate/independant voter, like me, and chooses her candidates according to their indidvidual viewpoints. (Personally, I never was a Sanders fan.)

I guess I'm politically like your sister- I was a fan of Bernie to begin with, but since he started talking nonsense about Israel he's lost my vote. I'm praying the Republicans end up with a contested convention and that they choose someone palatable, otherwise I'll have to hold my nose and vote Clinton.

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 20 2016, 1:33 pm
I don't know what I'll end up doing, but it's looking like this will be the first election since I turned 18 that I'll be sitting out. Woman or not, I'd have to hold a lot more than my nose to vote for Hillary!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics