Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Flights

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 11:44 am
does anybody know why flights are SUPER expensive during the summer? we are going to have to fly at the end of july for my bils bar mitzva and what tickets are from my home city to where my in laws live is close to $700 round trip!!! there is no way we can afford that and neither can my in laws!! one airline has a cc with no annual fee that I am thinking of opening as that will help with at least 1 ticket (I know its wishful thinking but it can happen) but then if we decide not to keep it, it may ruin our credit line.....

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 11:50 am
Because it's vacation season so the flights are in demand and it makes for greater profits by the industry....

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 11:53 am
op here-trying to decide if its worth it to drive....just rent a car and drive thru the night....

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 11:56 am
We are thinking about visiting my in laws this summer and as long as the drive takes (about 17 hours) there is no way we can afford plane tickets for 3. It would average 800-1k plus a rental car. We have not been in many years because neither of us can afford it. Its very hard.

teddyb

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 5:27 pm
Why would you decide not to keep the card? You can just not use it. Cut it up even. Then it won't be available for you to use and you won't negatively effect your score.

Also I'd wait a little closer to July. Tickets cost more when they are bought early or when they are bought very late. Look 1-2 mo before you want to fly. And sign up for Dan's deals.

Also if you can be at all flexible with dates its usually more expensive to fly on weekends which could be driving up the price.

But yeah that's why ppl drive cause its usually cheaper (even with renting a car) (well unless you get one of those crazy deals)

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 6:44 pm
summer tickets are always more expensive. I don't know if waiting would make a difference. If its a reasonable drive, I would definitely drive.

I find tickets on tuesdays and wednesdays are always much cheaper.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 10:12 pm
Raisin wrote:
summer tickets are always more expensive. I don't know if waiting would make a difference. If its a reasonable drive, I would definitely drive.

I find tickets on tuesdays and wednesdays are always much cheaper.

So, for driving, its a 13-14 hr dr from me to my in laws....we would have to leave on thursday night as I cant take off on thursday and friday (b"h I was able to for friday)....but we will see about flights as we may get my fils points from his flying for business but will have to see....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics