Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Help me understand chol hamoed
1  2  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:00 pm
So today I took my kids to an amusement park. We paid money and bought pesach food while there. We drove around an hour each way listening to children's cd's. However, when I get home it would be chillul yomtov to throw my kids socks in the laundry unless it's an emergency. Can someone explain the logic here please? Thanks.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:02 pm
Im not sure which part you don't find logical.
Can you expound?

pause

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:05 pm
You know that chol hamoed isn't about amusement parks, right?
And if you need those clothing for kids, you may be allowed to wash 'em, right?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:11 pm
I think OP means that she can do so much melacha, but can't do other kinds, and doesn't understand why washing socks is generally prohibited while driving around and doing other chol things aren't...

Am I right?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:12 pm
Maybe I didn't explain. I'm trying to understand what is it about doing laundry that is assur that doesn't apply to all the other things that we do on chol hamoed without any problem.

Happy18

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:14 pm
Not assur. Ask a shayla

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:15 pm
Maybe I didn't explain. I'm trying to understand what is it about doing laundry that is assur that doesn't apply to all the other things that we do on chol hamoed without any problem.

pause

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:17 pm
Actually all melacha is forbidden on chol hamoed in the first place. We are however allowed to do melacha that is tzorech yom tov, tzorech achila, hefsed meruba, etc.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:19 pm
pause wrote:
Actually all melacha is forbidden on chol hamoed in the first place. We are however allowed to do melacha that is tzorech yom tov, tzorech achila, hefsed meruba, etc.

So your saying that putting my kid on a merry go round is tzorech yom tov whereas washing her socks is not, correct?

pause

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:24 pm
amother wrote:
So your saying that putting my kid on a merry go round is tzorech yom tov whereas washing her socks is not, correct?
I'm not well-versed in the exact halachos. I do know, though, that you can buy her more socks.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:

To help out the Heimishe stores sell more socks, of course.

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:39 pm
I'm not sure it makes so much sense these days when doing laundry is such a pleasure. It used to be a huge ordeal in the past. Also we do laundry all the time so it's really difficult to go a week without laundry. I find this to be very difficult. I'm not saying you should do laundry, we try not to, but I don't think you are going to find an inspiring answer here.

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:40 pm
Isn't buying socks (on yt) also malacha?

MitzadSheini

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:43 pm
Tichellady I'm sure I heard a shiur once where a rav agreed with you and said that issur no longer applies????

I'm NOT PASKENUNG

Maya

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:49 pm
mtzadhasheini wrote:
Isn't buying socks (on yt) also malacha?

Yes, shopping is just as forbidden as washing laundry. But I'm sure there are ways around both problems.

animeme

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 2:51 pm
I was taught by my rav that on chol hamoed, buying more is preferable to washing.

pause

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 3:22 pm
animeme wrote:
I was taught by my rav that on chol hamoed, buying more is preferable to washing.
Same here.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 3:52 pm
Maya wrote:
Yes, shopping is just as forbidden as washing laundry. But I'm sure there are ways around both problems.

This.
My father owns a retail store and is closed chol hamoed.
His worker once opened on chol hamoed because someone needed an item urgently (a basic that could have been washed) , and my father was very annoyed. My father said good for him that he got a heter to buy, but I didn't get a heter to sell.

My father is very makpid on on not working or selling on chol hamoed.

I was told that for my kids it's not a problem for me to wash.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 3:53 pm
I would also assume that doing laundry is considered melachah because years ago it really was an extremely difficult ,tedious and time consuming job

imeinu

Post Mon, Apr 25 2016, 4:04 pm
Actually Laundry is prohibited in order to force someone to have their laundry done before yt same haircuts and in a sit where it is virtually impossible to have the laundry done before yt such as small kids who will never have enough clothing no matter how much you wash it is usually (usually ask lor) permitted.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics