Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Leaving toddler with grandparents for 3 days, yay or nay?
1  2  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:30 pm
My husband and I could really use a short 3 day vacation, without taking our 2 year old child along. My son loves his grandparents and would have a great time if I left him with them. He might have trouble going to sleep, but would sleep in bed with his grandmother eventually when he gets really tired. His grandmother is not young but is very active and has watched her other grandchildren for extended overnight periods. I have never left my son overnight before. On the one hand, we could really use the vacation from parenting and other repsonsibilites for a few days, on the other hand the thought of leaving my child behind for 3 days terrifies me. (Going for 1-2 days wouldn't be worth it for us.) what would you do?

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:36 pm
Leave my child. There is nothing terrifying about it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:36 pm
Go! Trust his loving grandparents (how lucky bh!) and come back recharged Tongue Out

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:38 pm
Thanks!
Let me explain my fears.
1. I'm scared my son will miss us and be scared or worried
2. I'm scared what if chas vesholom something happens to me or my husband, or to my son and we're not there... I would never voice this in real life, but I feel like I have to let it out here, so I can know if this fear is rational.
I am a worrier by nature 😞

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:39 pm
Go ahead. Bubby vacations are the best. You and Dh will get the break you need and your toddler will spend the next 6 months begging you to do it again :-)

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:48 pm
3 days isn't that long. Go and enjoy!

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 5:55 pm
Depends on the grandparents but it sounds like you have a good deal there. If you're worried about him missing you then consider a shorter trip for your first time. I'm not sure why going away for 1-2 days isn't worth it, you don't need to go far, you can even just do it once and stay home just to see how DS handles it before your real vacation. Leave him from one morning to the next night, you will know that you can rescue him if he gets disastrously homesick but in all likelihood he will be fine and then you will have greater peace of mind for your vacation.

bluebird

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 6:00 pm
Would you be able to have him stay overnight before your vacation, to see how it goes and get him used to the idea?

Miri7

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 7:46 pm
I say go for it!

I would frame it to him in terms of his going for a sleepover with his grandparents. He may have moments of missing you, but he will feel really proud to be a big boy and ready to go on trips to the grandparents by himself.

Don't worry - you want him to feel like you have confid nice in his ability to do this "trip". It will be a special time for him and his grandparents.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 9:56 pm
If you see him briefly the morning of day 1 before you leave, and again in the evening of day 3 when you get back, it's really only 1 day that he's not seeing you at all. Definitely makes it seem shorter to the kid, and it's what I would do for a first time, with such a young kid.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 27 2016, 10:42 pm
Go! I have done it and the kid was just fine after.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 7:55 am
Depends on the child and the grandparents. Also on the parents.

sara40

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 8:01 am
Trust a bit. In Hashem in your parents, even ur child. They can handle it. Fear stands for False Evidence Appearing Real... Nothing happened yet and won't iyh. Let hashes take care and let go. Start chilling! Enjoy

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 11:20 am
Didn't read the responses but YAY! Definitely.
You deserve a break and you have an oppurtunity to go so go! Your kid may or may not miss you, may or may not cry but his grandparents raised you (or your husband) and they haven't done a terrible job I am guessing Wink so go, relax and enjoy!

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 11:24 am
I am the voice of difference ~ I think it's traumatizing & a child could easily feel abandoned

I still remember screaming on the top of my lungs because my father left me alone at my grandma's house & I didn't know if I would see my family again ... I was 3 or 4 years old & now I'm 53

pesek zman

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 11:40 am
Omg go! Been "leaving"' my 16 month old for weekends with her grandparents every few months since she was 6 months old. Amazing quality time for them, amazing break for us. Win win

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 11:48 am
greenfire wrote:
I am the voice of difference ~ I think it's traumatizing & a child could easily feel abandoned

I still remember screaming on the top of my lungs because my father left me alone at my grandma's house & I didn't know if I would see my family again ... I was 3 or 4 years old & now I'm 53

Did you have a relationship with your grandma? My son loves his grandma and loves spending time with her. (I'm worried nonetheless.)

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 12:02 pm
We planned a two night getaway and our 3 year old stayed with his grandparents. When we got back we stopped to pick him up he wanted to stay longer. It was perfectly ok with the GPs and he stayed there another whole week.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
Did you have a relationship with your grandma? My son loves his grandma and loves spending time with her. (I'm worried nonetheless.)

yes ~ we slept there all the time ... but this time I was alone sans any siblings & NOBODY asked me ... they simply thought it would be nice for grandma

well it didn't last long because - as I mentioned above - I was yelling on the top of my lungs

now don't get me wrong - sometimes one must do things to keep a marriage together or to go have a baby or whatnot

I myself was blessed with sonny boy - who would be an angel up until the moment I needed to leave - at which point he became the block chazan [yup he can daven & layne with that voice for the amud now] ~

so there was no real reason - except I was quiet till left without mama [yeah I still have mommy issues]

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 28 2016, 1:58 pm
I don't know. I have young children and I left them with grandparents when I had my last baby. My kids seem independent and have a great time with their grandparents, but they were traumatized for a while that I was not home. I was really surprised that they missed me so much!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics