Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Visiting Israel- Hechsher advice
1  2  Next

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 7:34 am
Hi we are visiting Israel and need advice on hechsherim.
We are staying at a hotel whoes hecksher is rabanit Yerushalayim.
We are relaxed charedim. We eat only Chalav Yisroel Misha's chaliva. We will eat the equivalent of London beis din meat but not OU meat. What hechsherim are suitable for us and can we eat rabanit Yerushalayim. Thanks. What hechsherim can we be rely on for shimta?

DrMom

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:04 am
I think you should ask your rav. Every community different standards.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:15 am
Genuine interested question from an Israeli who has no idea. Why is London meat better than OU meat?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:20 am
amother wrote:
Hi we are visiting Israel and need advice on hechsherim.
We are staying at a hotel whoes hecksher is rabanit Yerushalayim.
We are relaxed charedim. We eat only Chalav Yisroel Misha's chaliva. We will eat the equivalent of London beis din meat but not OU meat. What hechsherim are suitable for us and can we eat rabanit Yerushalayim. Thanks. What hechsherim can we be rely on for shimta?

If you you won't eat OU meat (wow, I've never heard this before! And now second time I heard this on imamother this month. In our circles the OU is king since Rav Belsky took over decades ago.) Rabbanut Yerushalayim is not for you. From what I remember, you should be looking for Landau meat.
Ask your own London Rav.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:29 am
Op kLBD the Mashgichim and Shochtim are employed by the beis Din, in the USA they are usually employed by the the production companies and that's why we view it as a mower standard.
We do eat OU dairy if Cholov Yisroel and the hotel I'm asking only for dairy. So will Rabanit Yerushalayim be OK?

Another question. Can anyone recommend good fleishig and Milchig restaurants with our suitable Hechsherim.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:33 am
You probably want; eida, harav Rubin, she'ris, and Landau.
Most dairy is fine, do. Want to be makpid on badatz? Then only tnuva.
If it's just rabbanut, you should uber maaser the produce.

DrMom

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 8:38 am
amother wrote:
Op kLBD the Mashgichim and Shochtim are employed by the beis Din, in the USA they are usually employed by the the production companies and that's why we view it as a mower standard.
We do eat OU dairy if Cholov Yisroel and the hotel I'm asking only for dairy. So will Rabanit Yerushalayim be OK?

Another question. Can anyone recommend good fleishig and Milchig restaurants with our suitable Hechsherim.

I am no expert, but I would think an OU mashgiach would be employed by OU, and not the production company.

WastingTime

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 9:44 am
Rabbanut yerushalayim mehadrin or not? Very big difference! From your standards I would not rely upon a rabbanut without a mehadrin.
If yes mehadrin, I would find out which meat/chicken they use as AFAIK they don't shecht their own poultry/meat. There are many standard charedim that don't use Rabbanut Yerushalayim Mehadrin, and many that do. You need to speak with someone who your family holds of in Israel or maybe your Rav in London (?). Also, very important general info-- OU Israel is NOT the same as OU America. Especially the meat/chicken they produce. It is not held of here in the same esteem it is held of in America.

Marion

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 10:46 am
WastingTime wrote:
Rabbanut yerushalayim mehadrin or not? Very big difference! From your standards I would not rely upon a rabbanut without a mehadrin.
If yes mehadrin, I would find out which meat/chicken they use as AFAIK they don't shecht their own poultry/meat. There are many standard charedim that don't use Rabbanut Yerushalayim Mehadrin, and many that do. You need to speak with someone who your family holds of in Israel or maybe your Rav in London (?). Also, very important general info-- OU Israel is NOT the same as OU America. Especially the meat/chicken they produce. It is not held of here in the same esteem it is held of in America.

That's funny, because OU Israel is at least as makpid as OU in America.

Happymum21

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 12:03 pm
You can ask the mashgiach in the hotel which hechsherim they use on products, you may find that some things are anyway mehadrin or badatz .
Concerning shmitta, most vegetables are now fine, fruits are still an issue. Melon and bananas are now fine too.

Lizzie4

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 12:04 pm
Marion wrote:

Even so, most people who would eat OU in America won't eat it in Israel

morningsickness

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 2:59 pm
we are standard Isreali Chareidm. We eat Rabbanut Mehadrin Yerushalaim for milchigs- and there are lot's of lovely returauants in Jerusalem with this hechsher that are milchig.

For Fleishig, I would say go with Rubin, Belz, Machpud, Landau or Badatz.

Enjoy your visit!!

WastingTime

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 3:10 pm
Marion wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by makpid. Dh went to their shochthoise once, they have certain kulos that OU America doesn't. It's not the same organization

WastingTime

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 3:13 pm
Happymum21 wrote:
You can ask the mashgiach in the hotel which hechsherim they use on products, you may find that some things are anyway mehadrin or badatz .
Concerning shmitta, most vegetables are now fine, fruits are still an issue. Melon and bananas are now fine too.

I disagree, almost all fruits are okay.
I think t he only things that can be issue is citrus since they began growing in shmitta or apples since they store for long.
And if not shmitta, theres trumos and maaesros anyway so it always neefs reliable hechsher

abound

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 3:21 pm
Call Rav Zaritzky, he can give you information about the hotel.

Marion

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 4:54 pm
WastingTime wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by makpid. Dh went to their shochthoise once, they have certain kulos that OU America doesn't. It's not the same organization

I am aware that it's not the same organization...have you MET the man responsible for kashrut at OU Israel? Because if you have, you'd understand what I mean by makpid.

Raisin

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 5:18 pm
when we stayed in israeli hotels (not mehadrin) we asked the mashgiach at breakfast what was ok to eat. As I recall the bread, yogurts and lots of other food was fine. There was a guy making eggs who in one case wasn't jewish so that was an issue of bishul akum.

In yerushalyim we had no problem finding resturants with hechsherim that we would eat. In Tel aviv its a lot harder.

Similarly, at weddings we've asked the mashgiach and he was able to tell us what we could have.

Marion

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:23 pm
Raisin wrote:
when we stayed in israeli hotels (not mehadrin) we asked the mashgiach at breakfast what was ok to eat. As I recall the bread, yogurts and lots of other food was fine. There was a guy making eggs who in one case wasn't jewish so that was an issue of bishul akum.

Many, many, many times the flame was lit by a Jew; this resolves (by many opinions) the issue of bishul akum.

Maybe

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:30 pm
Rabanut Yerushalyim mehadrin is used by many charaidim

OOTBubby

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:51 pm
Marion wrote:
Many, many, many times the flame was lit by a Jew; this resolves (by many opinions) the issue of bishul akum.

It resolves the issue for Ashkenazim, but not for Sefardim.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions