Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dish rack or dish mat for drying dishes

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 4:51 pm
I was recently reading a back issue of the binah magazine, where they have rechy zloty, a person organizer, organizing someone's home, and she said that a dish mat takes up less space than a dish rack, to dry dishes.
does anyone have experience with both and can tell me which one is better?
Thanks!

N'sMom

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 5:35 pm
I like a mat. As you say, they take up less space. Having just put away my pesach things, this is particularly on my mind. But what I really love is that you can throw them in the laundry. After while I find a dish rack gets gucky, no matter how much I clean it.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 5:37 pm
can you fit more dishes on a rack than a mat, or not neccesarily?

N'sMom

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 5:44 pm
Probably yes because w a rack you arrange the dishes standing up instead of lying flat. Also most racks have a basket where flatware stands uo. Think of the mat as an extra thick, soft spongey towel. You put dishes etc on it to dry but because they are lying down on it, a mat will be filled up with a much smaller number of dishes than a rack. I still prefer it but that may just be me.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 5:49 pm
I like the idea of the mat and I have several, but I find that the dishes just don't get dry on it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 5:54 pm
I hate extra clutter and don't find that dishes dry any faster on a dish rack or mat, so I've been using regular dish towels for years and recently disposed of our racks. The trick is to stand the dishes up, the first against the backsplash, and the rest stacked like dominos (dish towel underneath gives them traction and keeps from falling), and they're dry in no time.

Optione

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 6:40 pm
I have both. Dish mat is good for large and fragile items, dish rack for everything else. Like pp said, dish mat items don't get totally dry. I use foldable dish racks from ikea to save space.

Daniellast

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 6:50 pm
I use dish rack and dish towels if I can't wait for dishes to dry. I find placing dishes on rack upright and having the space below allowing water to drip down and the air circulating helps the dishes dry faster vs. laying dishes flat one on top of the other, then the dripped water gathers below between bottom dishes and they don't get to dry so quick.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 7:36 pm
I have this and mats: http://www.amazon.com/Prepwork.....+rack

I keep it on the mat while washing dishes and transfer it to the sink to dry. I put it in my pots and pans cabinet when not in use.

little_mage

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 3:59 pm
I have a dish rack that I use for everyday use and a mat that I pull out when I have a lot of stuff. I mainly use it for glasses. I find that anything else just fills up the mat really quickly and then there's no more space on the mat. I also find that things don't dry as well.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 4:06 pm
I like the mat better...I used to have a dish rack years ago and disliked it. It took up too much space, you had to wipe it down and clean etc...for years I just resorted to dish towels placed on the counter, but then came across the dish mat in Amazing Savings and fell in love...it's more absorbent than a dish towel, it does exactly what I need and then I just dump it in the washing machine after use. Or just hang it over the dishwasher or oven rack to air dry.

leopardspots

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 6:05 pm
I use a bamboo dish rack with a fabric dish mat underneath to catch the water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics