Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Hydrangea Bush doing badly

Kfar

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 10:41 pm
Any suggestions? Two years ago I cut it back, only leaves and one flower last year. This year very few leaves seem to be sprouting. This is admittedly a very old bush as it was here for some time before we moved in 15 years ago. Thanks!

thinkermother

Post Sun, May 01 2016, 10:54 pm
I had same issue in two year old bush. an internet query turned up the answer that some hydrangeas bloom only from the old wood, and therefore I didnt get any blooms after cutting it back. well see how it does this year after no cutting back.

Kfar

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 11:23 pm
thanks -- I saw that too but this will be the second year and it is not looking promising. I guess at some point these bushes just get worn out, and who knows how old mine is since the house was built in 1958! Glad to hear yours recovered though!!!

amother
Wine

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 4:13 am
Hi. They need a lot of water, have you been watering it? Flower

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 7:21 am
amother wrote:
Hi. They need a lot of water, have you been watering it? Flower

They need TONS of water! Water them at night, not during the day. If you have a jar of dill pickles, pour the juice around the roots. They like the acidity.

If it's been too dry for several years, expect another year or two to recover before you give up on it. Old bushes don't bounce back as fast as younger ones (just like us!)

gp2.0

Post Fri, May 06 2016, 8:28 am
I had the same problem after cutting it back! Every year the bush produced 15-20 blooms, the year after I cut it back it produced like 3. I thought cutting stimulates growth but I learned the hard way that with hydrangeas it doesn't!

Kfar

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 9:18 pm
It's been raining constantly here and I think my soil is acidic since the blooms are blue. Ugh, I should not have cut back the bush so far but frankly the other two small bushes that I did not cut back as far also don't look great. Maybe I should get the soil tested or try some kind of fertilizer. It has some leaves now but the tops look almost burnt -- weird. Crying

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 9:53 pm
So what's the solution? Let them grow as big as they want? (shudder)

Kfar

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 12:28 am
well, I cut them back because I thought it would be healthy for the plant -- mistake I guess, but the weather has been strange here lately so I'll see as the summer progresses, keep reading and hoping for the best although DH feels they are just very old and don't last forever. The flowers were really gorgeous though and are great cut and when dried. So pretty! Nothing to be scared about even when very big! Very Happy

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 11:35 am
Kfar wrote:
thanks -- I saw that too but this will be the second year and it is not looking promising. I guess at some point these bushes just get worn out, and who knows how old mine is since the house was built in 1958! Glad to hear yours recovered though!!!

Hydrangea don't wear out. I've owned homes with 70yo hydrangea. They may require a mulching and a bit of fertilizer. Based on the type of hydrangea pruning is not needed. In the spring remove all dead branches.

If your concern is the size you can attempt to limit the growths by pruning in a circle around the exterior of the plant. Never take off more than 10% of the plant material.

Kfar

Post Wed, May 18 2016, 6:40 pm
Thanks -- I definitely took off more than 10%. I was not worried about size, I had gorgeous flowers and based on advice of neighbors cut the plant back. I have fertilized but now will go with your mulch suggestion -- wish me luck please! Rolling Eyes

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 9:58 am
Hey, how are your hydrangeas doing? Mine are back to doing very well. There are even green shoots and flowers growing out of branches that looked dead, hollow and brown.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 11:02 am
try diluting epsom salt with water to raise the magnesium levels in the soil

my mother has a new interesting hydrangea bush
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening