Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How do people move?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 11:50 am
I'm a planner by nature and the logistics of moving seem impossible to me. Help me figure this out!

Do you apply to schools before or after you move?
At what point do you sell the house you're living in?
How do you find a job in the new place?
How much money do you need saved up to facilitate all aspects of the move?

Ladies who have moved house, a step by step of the process would be extremely helpful to me. I just don't even know where to start. Question

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 11:54 am
From the school question I guess you mean moving city/town and not just house?

Moving house is complicated but totally doable.
Personally I would look for a property and when I put in an offer, put my house up for sale. It is hard to know I remember my parents waiting to move since the previous owner of their new house did not have a new house to move to yet.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 12:36 pm
Yes sorry I mean moving to a different city. Or even a different state that's several hours away. How do people do it??? Moving two adults and several kids to a new city/state where everyone needs new jobs and schools seems so so hard. People here are always suggesting "move out of town" but the logistics seem impossible to figure out (for me anyway.)

cm

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 12:47 pm
Start networking for job prospects first.

While you are doing that, learn about the real estate market and school situation from local people. Ask the admissions director at your school of choice if they typically accept and have room for new students.

Speak with a real estate broker where you live now about the saleability of your current house. Sometimes, the contact on your new house will be contingent on finding a buyer for your current home, so you won't be stuck owning two houses.

Another thing you can do in advance is to get pre-qualified for a mortgage, or at the very least, to find out using an online calculator how much house you can afford.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 12:48 pm
When I moved cities, we did it very quickly, the length of time that could be thought of as a whim, though it was anything but Wink

When we first entertained the idea, we quickly looked to see what houses would be available to have an idea if it were possible financially and logistically to find where to live quickly.
Then we contacted the school (but this was all in the summer, so we had to do so) to make sure there was room for our children. Once that was confirmed, we went back to the housing part and trying to buy (it's usually a better idea to rent in a new location but for various reasons we wanted to buy and relied on others plus photos to help make our decision from afar). Then again, we weren't super picky coming from an apartment...
Before signing on our house, I confirmed I could take my job with me, which eliminated the need to look for one.
We had been renting, so no need to sell.

Moving itself was something like 4K IIRC, but we were 500 miles away, with a LOT of stuff (large family, filled up a truck completely), and we had been living on a top floor apartment.
I had to take off time from work, so factor that in.
Buying the house/closing costs are unique and variable.
Buying stuff for the house, depends on if it has appliances/you bring with you/ etc (same with furniture, drapery, etc) but also lots of odds and ends. One thing we didn't move but bought, for example, was a dining room table/chairs set. But it was also stuff like new mop/broom we didn't bring with us, plus garbage cans, and sink things, and toilet brushes...

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:09 pm
ok so we moved last summer. we put our house up and looked for a house simultaneously- you never know how long either one will take. we were moving someplace that basically had one frum school so when we went on a pilot trip we met with the school. My preschooler got "interviewed" over the summer after we moved in. We bought our house long distance thanks to HY Wink and a great real estate agent.

I'm a SAHM and my husband took his job with him- which he later lost but at least we didn't have to look for a job long distance. People who do, try to plan interviews when they go for their pilot trip. otherwise more car rides or flights... to the new location.

It is very helpful if you have someone in your original location that can clean up your home after you move out.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:13 pm
in terms of cost I would leave a nice "buffer". when you first move you will probably depend more on convenience food/eating out, you won't have the hang of the shopping yet, things often come up when you own a house, especially at the beginning

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 7:53 pm
You do not move without at least one job covering the rent and food, and without schools for kids above 6 unless ready to homeschool. Not sure what's hard to figure, though it canmega hard to find.

shaimac1

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 10:18 pm
amother wrote:
Yes sorry I mean moving to a different city. Or even a different state that's several hours away. How do people do it??? Moving two adults and several kids to a new city/state where everyone needs new jobs and schools seems so so hard. People here are always suggesting "move out of town" but the logistics seem impossible to figure out (for me anyway.)

Hi! I live in South Bend, Indiana and we a growing Torah community just outside of Chicago. We actually have someone in our community that helps people relocate here full time! Her name is Mrs. Michall Goldman and feel free to reach out to her directly at michallgoldman@gmail.com or check out our community website www.cdisouthbend.com too. I have heard her say all the time that the best advice she gives new families is first find the right community for your family, next find the right job, and than you can figure out the other details later (just know your standard of living and potential new cost of living!) It happens to be that in South Bend you can find some amazing homes 5 bedrooms and 3.5 baths under 200k and the best part is the property taxes are really low like 2k a year for that 200k home!
And even better South Bend has State Tuition Vouchers which can make tuition free or very close to it!

Good luck and I am sure between imamother.com, PM me or Mrs. Goldman you will get all your answers soon!

Oh and most OOT communities are pretty great about their policy with new kids and can usually work with you no problem!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating