Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey Neighborhood
1  2  Next

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:27 pm
I'm looking to buy a house in Monsey. I currently live in Brooklyn. Thing is, not knowing Monsey, I am so confused by the different areas and sections. Can someone list all the sections what they're called, for example Union/Stonehouse-saw a listing that may look interesting, I just have no idea where it is, whether the area is even Jewish.

I don't know where to start looking, I've tried going through several brokers, but I see that if I don't know the areas they are offering it makes things much harder.

Thanks in advance!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:34 pm
Stonehouse is fully Jewish. Union is mostly, but not completely. The closer to the 45, the less Jewish it is.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:39 pm
Thanks for the quick reply.

Can you name afew other areas that are Jewish and what type of community?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 1:40 pm
Tell us a little about you and your family and maybe we can help you.
Where do you fit in religiously (ie: chassidish yeshivish, jpf)? What type of house are you interested in? What size? Close to shopping important or lots of land?

Honestly, if you do that for a good real Estate broker and give her/him an idea of your budget then they can probably tell you about the neighborhoods. Then, you can come back here with your questions about specific areas.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 2:34 pm
OP, being a Brooklyn girl myself who moved to Monsey when I got married, I was actually surprised to discover that Monsey is very divided according to where you "fit in" , there are very chasiddish, very yeshivish, modern, former chasidish etc neighborhoods. It was hard find a neighborhood with a blend of it all...first know yourself and your type and then it will be easier to guide you.

Blessing1

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 4:31 pm
Union/Stonehouse is a real mix of mostly chassidish, some litvish & yeshivish.

wifenmother

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 4:38 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
OP, being a Brooklyn girl myself who moved to Monsey when I got married, I was actually surprised to discover that Monsey is very divided according to where you "fit in" , there are very chasiddish, very yeshivish, modern, former chasidish etc neighborhoods. It was hard find a neighborhood with a blend of it all...first know yourself and your type and then it will be easier to guide you.

'Up the hill' still qualifies as a mix. Or I should say 'most' up the hill neighborhoods.

Maya

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 4:40 pm
wifenmother wrote:
'Up the hill' still qualifies as a mix. Or I should say 'most' up the hill neighborhoods.

Yes but not for long. I live there, right now it's mostly middle aged and elderly couples who will pass on or move, and the ones buying their homes will be mostly Chassidish, as in the rest of Monsey. It's happening already.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 4:49 pm
Maya wrote:
Yes but not for long. I live there, right now it's mostly middle aged and elderly couples who will pass on or move, and the ones buying their homes will be mostly Chassidish, as in the rest of Monsey. It's happening already.

[u]

To some degree. But as you said - mostly.

I work in the local real estate market. For the past few years, and at present, there are quite a number of young families that are currently buying up the hill - walking distance to Rav Schlesinger - that are not chasidish at all.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
[u]

To some degree. But as you said - mostly.

I work in the local real estate market. For the past few years, and at present, there are quite a number of young families that are currently buying up the hill - walking distance to Rav Schlesinger - that are not chasidish at all.

what is up the hill? Ive lived in monsey my whole life and never heard this term, what area is it referring to?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, May 02 2016, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:
what is up the hill? Ive lived in monsey my whole life and never heard this term, what area is it referring to?
Up Carlton, College

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 9:58 am
I would qualify "Up the Hill" as "heimish" and chasidish. Olympia and it's surrounding area is becoming very chasidish now.

gold21

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:01 am
I thought "up the hill" was part of new hempstead. Lol. Too many hills in monsey. LOL

momX4

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 10:23 am
gold21 wrote:
I thought "up the hill" was part of new hempstead. Lol. Too many hills in monsey. LOL

You are correct, except they call it NEW http://www.newupthehill.com

wifenmother

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:17 pm
Bizzydizzy, up the hill refers to a neighborhood, not to the 'type' of people that live there.

'Up the hill' to me was always a reference to 'up West Maple' (away from 306).

thunderstorm

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:18 pm
wifenmother wrote:
Bizzydizzy, up the hill refers to a neighborhood, not to the 'type' of people that live there.

'Up the hill' to me was always a reference to 'up West Maple' (away from 306).

I know that ! I'm referring to the people that live in that area...lol!

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 12:33 pm
I'm chassidish with 2 little kids and a third on the way. I currently live in Brooklyn in a tiny house and I'm literally bumping into things all the time.

I'm looking for a small size 3 bedroom preferably not in a huge development. I don't mind being a bit out of section but I want the area to be Chassidish. My budget is pretty low therefore I'm having more than a bit of trouble finding the right place, but I'm still trying. Therefore I want to know when looking through the classifieds or online sites which neighborhoods to look at and which ones are irrelevant.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:11 pm
What about Hillcrest, is it even a Jewish neighborhood?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 2:19 pm
amother wrote:
What about Hillcrest, is it even a Jewish neighborhood?
Hillcrest is becomiing Jewish. That's the newupthehill area posted above.

W're chassidish adn live in monsey now. we wanted to buy there but ultimately we decided that neighbors are too important for our kids to take the plunge and be the first chasidish ppl there. even though to be honest there are two other chassidish ppl in the neighborhood. eventually it will become but it isnt yet. in the end we bought in airmont.

Maya

Post Tue, May 03 2016, 3:43 pm
momX4 wrote:
You are correct, except they call it NEW http://www.newupthehill.com

No, that's a totally different neighborhood. They just stole the name and added "new." It's about fifteen minutes away from the original "up the hill."
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating